The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#64666 - 06/23/05 07:32 AM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Hey, I thought I WAS Rover.
And could beat JJ to a game of Jacks any day. Double!
Hey, I got a dollhouse. It has lights and a Christms tree and a fan and I forget what else. Furniture?
smile

#64667 - 06/23/05 10:22 AM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Red Rover was one of the few games I could play, being was too uncoordinated for almost everything else.

I rarely got called over because I was such a macho little brute, I'd knock half the line down. And no one tried to get through me either. At least I got to play, though.

#64668 - 06/23/05 11:25 AM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Well Gals, I've passed this thread over because ... hmm, well I never know what I'll remember and sometimes those memories are more like nightmares. But I decided to come in and browse around. Boy, am I glad I did.

I remember ALL of these things ... and Sandpiper, I was born in Nov of 49 as well.

Jaw Jaw -- you mentioned dolls and those houses we built with branches beneath a big tree. Wow ... that brought back some really good memories. We really made elaborate houses that spread far beyond the branches of that tree.

Barbie has been mentioned but does anyone remember the Revlon Doll? To me, she was the precursor to Barbie only bigger. Unfortunately, one summer while I was away at camp with my best friend, my parents moved and cleaned out all my toys. By this time my Revlon Doll was pretty old and she got tossed. My mom had made outfits for her and now all I have left is a cordouroy coat with a hood that Mom made. BUT ... I did find myself a Revlon Doll in an antique shop. Not only does she wear the coat but a doll dress my mother made for one of her porcelain dolls.

And what about paper dolls?

Joyce, I'd forgotten about not wearing tennis shoes with skates. We lived in the country but my best friend lived in this huge house with a basement we could skate in. It was great.

And Maggie, I'd like to forget hula hoops, thank you very much, lol -- I could never keep that thing going.

On rainy days, we'd spend hours with train sets. Used a big pingpong table (again, at my friend's "mansion") and built mountains and tunnels with papier-mache and then ran the trains as fast as we could to see how long we could go till they left the tracks and went air born. Or play Monopoly or Sorry till we got bored enough to grab our Archie or Superman comic books.

Thanks for the memories, ladies.

Hugs and blessings, Francine

#64669 - 06/23/05 04:48 PM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Lordy...I had forgotten all about paper dolls. If I had a nickel for every time I cut out paper dolls and played with them, I'd be a rich woman...Oh I LOVED doing that. Couldn't wait to go to town and see the new ones. Remember the McCalls magazine had them in their issues each month?

Smiles, you got any pic's of the dollhouse? If so, send them to me. I wanna see, k? LOVE playing with my dollhouse.

JJ

#64670 - 06/23/05 06:39 PM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
chickadee Offline

What about "The Farmer in the Dell?" The farmer takes a wife, the wife takes a child,etc.etc Ends with the mouse taking the cheese? Done in a circle and we would choose who was the farmer,wife, mouse, etc.

Red Rover almost killed me...I was only a mite as a youngster and when "BIG PAT" would try to break the chain...I would hang on for dear life. Of course sometimes we'd wink and let go and soon as PAT touched our arms. Shame on us...He'd go a mile before he'd stop, ha ha.

I liked hard crack, soft crack when playing marbles. Mom and I played in the grass, oh so many times. She taught me how to do soft cracks...she was so good at it. Jacks too.

There was a time when the big rage was getting a "bride doll" for Christmas.

We played what was called "Jack, Stick and Poppy." A hole in the ground, short stick across and long stick to flick it towards a crowd of us. Whoever caught it in mid air went next.

What about, Mother May I,

Simon Says....
Did anyone mention French skipping, double dutch skipping?

Cowboys and Indians was my all time favorite with the older kids. We (young ones) were the cowboys.

Many days when Mom asked where I was going, I'd say, looking for birds nests or climbing trees.

D [Roll Eyes] N'T get me started [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Kids sure miss out this on a lot these days!

chick

#64671 - 06/23/05 10:11 PM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I've got to send this post to my friend who grew up across the street from me. She'd love it. I've thought of her so much while reading through.

Petunia is right. She's got the game down pat.

Chick, I remember letting go and people flying through too. That was such fun. I'm smiling ear to ear just thinking about it. Always a trickster in the group.

JJ, you bounced? I guess that means you were just a teeny thing as a child. You sweet, precious little thing you!

Smile, I'd be all over jj for her comment!

Chick, what the heck is hard crack?

Sandpiper, I like your reason for writing.

Wordcharmer, sounds like we hung out in the same candy store. Was it a "five and dime"? I loved those stores. The candy aisle was endless.

#64672 - 06/24/05 07:13 AM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Hi again. It is so good to chat with women who remember the childhood games and such. I am having so much fun remembering those times with my sisters. It is really great to know you all played the same games and with the same paperdolls and hula hoops, etc as we did.
It's interesting to find out when you grow up that the world was not so small after all. Do any of you remember Red Light...Green Light? Another game we played forever in the summer months was Statues. Anyone know of it?
Thanks for the welcomes. I appreciate it. We used to play cowboys and indians also with siblings and cousins. We had terrific times. I think kids nowdays don't have the opportunity to use their imaginations.All of their toys do the work for them. Bye for now.
Sandpiper

#64673 - 06/25/05 04:27 AM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I ageee Sandpiper, all these kids want to do is sit on their behinds and play video or computer games....If they would just enjoy their childhood they could wait until adulthood and THEN sit on their butts at the computer and/or watch videos. OOps maybe they do what they see!! [Eek!]

#64674 - 06/25/05 02:48 PM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Sandpiper ... I was going to mention "swing the statues." Is that the one you're talking about? We used to play it out in the front yard ... even after it got dark.

How about bike clubs? You used to be able to get the small license plates with your name on them or the state name. We'd attach them to the back or our bikes and it made it clear who was in our club.

Oh yeah, clipping playing cards with clothes pins to the back wheel.

It is good to remember together.

Hugs and blessings, Francine

#64675 - 06/25/05 04:44 PM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
chickadee Offline

Hard crack...

You toss your marble in the air(about a foot high), then pick up only one of five marbles from the ground without disturbing the others (automatic out if you do), then catch the one in mid air on its way back down at the same time. If the two hit together it's called hard crack, If they don't...soft crack.

Anyone ever bury treasure? We did all the time. Old jewelry and pennies, etc. I wish I had that old treasure map now. We buried stuff all over the place.
I have a metal detector that my Dad gave me, I should take it back to Canada and see if I can find some of the stuff. Wouldn't that be fun?

Chatty, that was funny. I wonder sometimes, what will our children be saying to their children about "when I was your age..."

Ok I have to ask, what is swing the statues and red light green light? Tag?

Love this topic.

chick

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved