The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 96 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#64676 - 06/25/05 06:59 PM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Red light, green light:

One person is the leader. They turn their back and stand quite a distance from the kids playing. Players all begin in a line facing the leader. Now wait a minute, how did that work? This may be it. The leader turned her back to the players. Every time she turned around she would say either "red light" or "green light". When she said "green light" the kids ran towards the leader. When she said, "red light" they had to stop in their tracks. If they moved, she sent them back to the start line. First one to reach her was the new leader.

Is that right? Help!

#64677 - 06/26/05 07:44 AM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi,
Did you know that the Mary Engelbreit magazine has paper dolls in the back? Did that bring back memories the first time I saw them.
Yes, Writegirl now I would like to forget the hula hoops but back then they were fun.
Maggie

#64678 - 06/26/05 10:40 AM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Dotsie,
Right on about Red Light..Green Light. That is exactly how it was played. We had lots of fun with that one. Little kids could play it and not get hurt.

Writegirl 1949 we played Statues way late at night. That seemed to be the only time our parents let us stay out after dark. Do you all remember when you'd get swung and fall on the ground, then feel the earth spinning beneath you? You felt like you could fly off the earth into outer space. Loved that one also.

Chickadee I never heard of Hard Crack before. Sounds like lots of fun. I'll have to ask my older siblings if they've ever heard of it. Bet it was lots of fun. Did you win often?

Maggie paper dolls were some of the most fun. You could play them by yourself and enter into a world all your own. Loved them. Glad to hear they are still around in places.

#64679 - 06/29/05 06:39 AM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Maggie, great seeing you again!

There is a hul hoop at Curves. I haven't had the nerve to give it a whirl yet. [Eek!]

#64680 - 06/29/05 08:53 AM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
Maggie Offline

Thanks Dotsie, its good to be back.
Maggie

#64681 - 06/29/05 03:56 PM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Maggie is never far away from us. She may not post, but she's here. Even if just in spirit!

Right Miss Maggie? Love you gal!

JJ

#64682 - 06/30/05 07:54 AM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Gosh, I remember all these games and loved them. I think I was better at chinese or regular jump rope, roller skating, (my stage name was blue velvet we used to perform shows for ourselves in imaginary glittery costumes), and kickball. Bo Miller would kill me in Red Rover. He was the neighborhood bully then asked me out as a teenager! Like women forget huh?

My sister was the pro at jacks. No one could beat her. I now collect marbles; only ones I find. They seem to have meaning and until a few years ago I could tell you where I found each one. Now I only remember where I found them. My husband will pick up a stray from time to time for me also. They live in a wire form of a woman's shoe in our bathroom on a shelf. Most people remark about them. I just like to see them and remember.

My son, 6, does play computer games but primarily rides his bike and plays imaginary games. Trains and setting up elaborate rail yards is a favorite along wth making tents out of towels etc.

I think the main difference in the kids today is that the Mom's of the neighborhood are not home so the kids are at camp and not roaming the neighborhood in droves playing.

We were sent out in the morning and we did not come back until dinner unless we wound up in our yard at lunch time and the loaf of bread and peanut butter and jelly would come out with the kool aid and we are feasted.We usually ended up in a different yard each day but the food was the same.

It is satisfying to provide as close a situation as possible for the next generation.

Thanks for the great memories.

Lynn

#64683 - 06/29/05 10:10 PM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
Maggie Offline

What memories you brought back again Lynn. Playing in everyone's back or front yards. We were safe, didn't have to be watched every second. I remember all these games and having fun playing them. If someone was hurt whoevers yard we were in the mother would come out to help.
My parents both worked but the rules were strict. They always knew where I was or how to find me. Mom called to check in and I knew when to be home. I was a latch key kid before they ever thought of that and I am sure some of you were too.
JJ, you are so right I may not post everyday but I do check in when I can and am here in spirit.
Maggie

#64684 - 06/30/05 05:50 PM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynn, my memories are so similar. Isn't it wild to think about how times have changed? Sometimes I walk the neighborhood and hardly see a child. So sad!

Maggie, you mention your mom always knowing how to find you. Just think...you didn't even have a cell phone and she could find you!

#64685 - 06/30/05 06:17 PM Re: Anyone remember playing jacks?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hi Maggie, nice to have you here again.

I wonder what some of our grand kids will be saying to their children about growing up.

"When we were your age, we were on the computer communicating and researching or playing video games to hone our motor skills. We watched TV for news stories and movies to sharpen our creative minds. You youngsters are out running all over the neighborhood." "What's the world coming to?"

JJ, write us a funny on your take on this.

chick

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved