The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 140 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64847 - 09/30/04 03:01 PM Trains
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
When I was a child, Mom used to take my sibs and me on the Santa Claus Train. We would go to the old Broad Street Train Station -now the Science Museum of VA- and board the train for Washington, DC, about 100 miles away. Santa Claus would visit each car, giving away little gifts and candy and we would all be so excited!

When Dave and I were in Alaska, we took a short train ride from Skagway; that was fun.

This coming Tuesday, my tourism class is taking a field trip on the Cass Scenic Railroad in WV. That should be lots of fun as well.

#64848 - 09/30/04 04:30 PM Re: Trains
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I took an Amtrak train once from Nevada to Chicago and really was surprised how much I enjoyed the ride. I especially liked the club car and the meals were wonderful. The rhythm of the movement was soothing. I would happily take another train trip.

#64849 - 09/30/04 06:11 PM Re: Trains
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thistle, will it be an old train, or a new one? Good points about both.

Chatty, I'll take that train ride with you.
I love trains. One day I'd love to see our whole country by train. A dream!

I guess the most I've been on trains is going to New York or Philly from Baltimore.

My favorite train ride was taken the day after Thanksgiving several years ago. The five of us traveled with another family to go to NY, NY to see the sights, and hit the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show.

The ride home was fun because all nine of us crammed together in the club car, ate, played cards, and laughed the whole way home. The kids were younger and it was such a thrill and treat. Thanks for stirring that memory.

#64850 - 09/30/04 06:25 PM Re: Trains
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Cass Scenic Railroad. Sigh. I have been there three times and still haven't been able to ride the train (no $$$). BUT, we are hoping to go in the next couple of weekends and tour our beautiful state with all the great trees turning colors; take a drive on the Highland Scenic Highway - very highly recommended. I want to get to Grundy, VA, too. Just wrote an article for them, and now I want to visit.

Have a great ride!

#64851 - 10/01/04 02:03 AM Re: Trains
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
This is a tad different, but my pappaw worked for Southern Railroad for 50 years. So growing up I remember riding the train to Memphis and other destinations. It's wonderful memories. I loved the train, just loved it.

JJ

#64852 - 10/01/04 04:32 AM Re: Trains
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Chatty - doncha love the way the train sways?

Dotsie - Cass is an old train, one of those cinder burners. I'm taking my tourism class on a field trip and we're all looking forward to it. I've got 2 Japanese, 1 Bulgarian and the rest USA students and we're all riding in a van to Cass...about a 5 hour round trip.

Dian - I think it's $15 for the short trip during the week; a bit more on weekends. What was the Grundy article you wrote? And...somewhere else you asked about Bluefield...there is a Bluefield VA and a Bluefield WV and both share the state line. Bluefield, VA was called Graham until the 1940's -maybe, can't remember exact year- and then there was a "wedding" and Graham, VA "married" Bluefield, WV and became Bluefield, VA.

I kid you not.

JJ - you know what the Southern Railroad is aka?
The suffering railroad <g>.

Again, I kid you not.

#64853 - 10/01/04 05:40 AM Re: Trains
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Thistle - I wrote "New Hope for a New Town, Grundy, Virginia" for Central Appalachia Christian News. The debut issue was Sept. 04 and my article was front page! No pay, but great feeling.

I love the Bluefield stories! Sounds like something we Appalachians would do.

I'm anxious to get on that train.

#64854 - 10/01/04 12:08 PM Re: Trains
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Congrats on your article Dian and believe me PAY isn't everything. You go girl...And Yes, the sway of that train was almost hypnotic and made me wish I was with a gentleman. It would have been a romantic event then instead of just fun. I have since changed my opinion and realize I am all the company I need. Romance isn't all its cracked up to be for the most part. Hohum!!! [Roll Eyes]

#64855 - 10/01/04 05:21 PM Re: Trains
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thistle, your energy amazes me. The things you do! [Wink]

Chatty, I admire your happiness and acceptance of the single life. You sound so content. take what the good Lord gives you and make the most of it!

Dian, congrats on a front page article.

Jawjaw, I wish I had grandparent memories. Cherish them. Mine were all dead by the time I was three.

#64856 - 10/01/04 11:58 PM Re: Trains
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Ditto...Dotsie. My grandparents both passed within 3 months of each other, my grandfather 11 days before I was born.

My Step (dislike that word) grandparents... well...note the word Step.

It is still nice to hear all your stories. Ladies, Please tell us more.

Oops, I hit the post button by mistake. Editing now...
Ok...
Congrats from me too Dian - Yaaah! clap clap!

Chatty...someday your prince will come... fingers crossed.

JJ...did U meet Elvis in Memphis...ever...(I'm serious)

Thistle...I love the farm...wish I was there.

Dotsie...Thanks again for... everything.

[ October 01, 2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved