The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 87 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#66416 - 01/05/06 04:26 AM Re: Licking the spoon
Vi Offline

I grew up on a farm. We drank raw milk. We raised chickens for the eggs. I licked the beaters when Mom made goodies with raw eggs, and I never got sick from it.

Studies show this thing makes you sick, so you shouldn't do it. So we stop. Next thing you know another study comes along and says the opposite. Remember a few years back when eggs were bad for us, then someone did a study and reversed the finding? While caution is a good thing, common sense is often better. If a person tends to get sick easily for whatever reason, then he/she needs to stay away from some things. Or if we don't like it, we don't need to eat it - unless Momma forces us to - and then we will hate it all the more.

We taste things differently. Remember the taste tests in science class? What tastes good to one, may taste like dog dodo to another.

Back to risks - let's face it, life is a risk. If we sit home in a bubble because this or that or the other thing is dangerous, we will never develop any immunities, so we will be more at risk in general than if we venture out into the world.

I still drive my car - yet how many people are killed in their cars? Like Helen Keller said, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." And she would know better than the rest of us.

I'm still licking.

#66417 - 01/05/06 06:15 AM Re: Licking the spoon
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Nancy50, my best friend in Indiana still buys and eats cookie dough right from the package and she loves it. Come to think of it I never have seen her bake anything. Ever notice how some are quick to boo hoo someone elses story but tell some real whoppers themselves.... [Eek!]

#66418 - 01/05/06 07:01 AM Re: Licking the spoon
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Chatty,
You be Ethel and I will be Lucy !

#66419 - 01/05/06 07:03 AM Re: Licking the spoon
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Well, Don't I just love THIS conversation!

Can I come in? Assuming you all said yes, Gotta tell ya - my kids were both lickers...Me, not so much. Not because of the eggs, just because. I'm not much of a licker. Only sometimes....O, I just realized it was because I always SAVED the beaters and the bowl for the kids!!!! LOL. Now I remember, used to lick BEFORE I had the kids, not after. O the sacrifices we mothers make!!!!!

Nobody at my house ever got sick from licking, at least! And I must agree with Vi, here, the minute a study comes out, the very next minute another one comes to refute it. It was the same about butter for me. I have always been a butter user. Cooking and everything, then the studies came out - margarine is better!!! I didn't believe a word of it. And didn't change my habits either. Then a few years later, out comes another study saying margarine is not so good and butter is better (in moderation of course). So the old adage is true - all things in moderation.

So far as eggs go, well, in my camp - every man for himself!!!!! (I make my own mayonnaise, and for awhile, I was pretty nervous since we use a lot of it, but then I thought, o what the H---, we've been eating it for 20 years...) (and another thought comes to me, maybe it's how we protect our eggs - the refrigeration and all)

Another kind of interesting thing to me -- when I was just a little child, we would go visiting to Grandmas house. Gramma and Grampa used to own a large farm. With plenty of farm-hands, back in the day..... But when we came to visit, old habits died hard. She would cook a breakfast (what we would call brunch) to feed a few small towns...Pork chops, eggs, biscuits, 3 0r 4 veggies, gravy, potatoes, always thick sliced tomatoes from the garden, and maybe a roast or two. This was all placed on the kitchen table, where we would bring our plates and load em up!!! Now, Gramma and Grampa lived in Kentucky. Where it's hot. So hot, that by the time 2:00 rolled around, people took a SIESTA - or at least retired to their front porch, rocking in the shade and drinking cool lemonade. But after everyone finished eating the "brunch", she would take a table cloth and spread it over the table - over dishes and all - and we would eat from this table for the rest of the day!!!! Can you just imagine? It's an absolute wonder we didn't all die. But no one ever got sick.....????

I also read up on some articles concerning a similar thing. We all are so germ conscious these days....(me included), but I read a study about the new anti-bacterial soaps and such that are on the market. These studies showed that what we are doing is creating a "super - bug" Similar to using antibiotics indiscriminately - also creating super-bugs.....Nichole and I had a friend of Nik's die of pneumonia for just such a reason....So I think that discretion is the better part of valor in these instances....

You know, a clean house is good enough.....A sterile one is not such a good idea after all.....(just so ya know, I don't cook a brunch and put a table cloth over it!!!!!LOL)

Also, about the taste thing..I find that so amusing because my children were the polar opposites on that issue. Nichole used to reach to grab a green onion on the table when she was still in her high chair. My Mother used to scream, "don't let that child eat that!!!". But I knew it didn't bother her, so let her have at it......She ate an entire jar of pickled jalepenos almost every day of her life til' she died. And had a shaker of hot peppers by her plate to shake on everything she ever ate!!! Sam, on the other hand, recoils at such fare. And did since an infant. This one HATED meat, hot, or spicey things til' just lately. And also ice cream. ???? (Now he eats ice cream as often as he can get it) But they were just BORN with these differences....interesting isn't it? (must be a gene)....

LOL, Searcher

#66420 - 01/05/06 07:12 AM Re: Licking the spoon
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
So funny Searcher and just as true as it can be. Its a wonder any of us have survived listening to these so called experts that change their minds like the weather....LOL [Big Grin]

Darn it Nancy I was hoping to be lucy, just love those latin men you know, Oh Rickyyyyy...oops I mean oh Fred, ick, just my luck the bald, short, fat one.

#66421 - 01/05/06 07:16 AM Re: Licking the spoon
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Chatty,
We can do a swich . I will be Ethel If you will be Lucy .

[ January 04, 2006, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#66422 - 01/05/06 07:32 AM Re: Licking the spoon
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
My grandmother used to beat raw eggs and then mix in some vermouth. I thought it was yummy! I was only 5. I'm sure she only gave me a little bit...hiccup...

#66423 - 01/05/06 07:41 AM Re: Licking the spoon
Searcher Offline

Well, who do I get to be? I'M the one with curly hair!!!!!But I guess it isn't all that red,,,just a little...between the grey and brown....And Chatty, oooooo, those Latin fellows.....How bout we lose 30 lbs and go get one? I'm thinking if I lose maybe 40, get a face lift, a tummy tuck, and a butt lift, I could go after that Italian , Love God, Bocelli !!! (Good Grief, I should be talking such language!) Shame on me! (But maybe........)

Search

O yeah, and when I'm bad, I'm HORRID!

#66424 - 01/05/06 07:46 AM Re: Licking the spoon
Searcher Offline

Blue!!!!!

How funny is that? A 5 year old, with hiccups! The alcohol prob'ly killed salmonella!!!!! Bad Grandma......

#66425 - 01/05/06 07:57 AM Re: Licking the spoon
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Crazy, Sicilian grandma!!! (No offense, Chatty [Wink] )

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved