The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#67712 - 04/18/05 12:02 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
We're progressing quite well with Bailey. He's now taking treats from our hand and doesn't run away. He's "chattering" and is so sweet. He knows "come here" and "Good Bird".

Hubby and I went to Petsmart today to do some shopping for Bailey. We got him a treat dish, a new perch, a cozy cuddly bed and a bag of treats. It took him about an hour to get use to the new treat dish in his cage, but once he learned that it contained yummy stuff, there wasn't any problem. [Smile]

Ari, you have quite a zoo, I guess you're missing a bird though. Might want to think about it. We thought it would be harder to take care of, but it actually hasn't been. And, we've been really good about giving attention to both Bailey and Jack.

#67713 - 04/18/05 01:26 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Good thinking it would be easy to forget an old pet when a new cute little one comes along and pets do feel ignored. Its amazing to me always how much emotion they do feel. I have to be so very careful with all the animals passing through my home that I foster temporarily. Reeta my Yorkie use to be so jealous but now I make sure she is told and shown that they are her friends and she should make them feel at home. I swear she understands that. Plus there are certain toys that belong only to her and Rosee. It is just like having more children. [Big Grin]

#67714 - 04/18/05 11:53 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Your new bird is so adorable. My daughter is green with envy, always wanted one but we have an AG and a little parakeet, plus a dog and cat. Enough already. Thanks for the pictures. I'm in love.

#67715 - 04/19/05 12:04 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Thanks, Dianne. We've already fallen in love with the screechy thing. [Smile] We need to buy him a bigger / taller cage. The one I bought is too small for him. He needs something taller so he can do his climbing. We haven't let him out yet. We're being very cautious since he's probably been in the wild for a while and not housebroken and plus we have Jack, who would give anything to get some one on one time with Bailey. [Smile]

#67716 - 04/19/05 12:16 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I have to watch my dog around my bird. Not for the bird's safety but the dog's. That beak could take my dog's nose off! She already bit my dog on the butt!

My bird loves Millet. I think that's how you spell it. Petsmart has it. A nice little treat.

#67717 - 04/20/05 07:46 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Bailey is quite picky. We've been trying various treats to see what he'll eat and what he won't. So far, sunflower seeds are his favorite. He doesn't like pine nuts, pecans, carrots, tomatoes, grapes, pineapple (dried) or actually anything yellow/white.

We bought a tropical fruit treat mix and are picking out the sunflower seeds to feed to him by hand. He gets the rest of it in a small treat dish. He likes the small seeds so giving him millet might work too. We've started hiding sunflower seeds in one of his toys. He's enjoying the hunt.

#67718 - 04/19/05 08:13 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I don't know about your breed but I have to be sure my AG gets mainly bright colored fruits and veggies or she'll become a "seed junkie."

I showed my daughter the pic of Bailey and she said, "Oh, if that happened to me, I'd know how much God loved me!" I don't think we need another bird so I'm considering that a Sun not flying into our back yard is a way God is showing me how much He loved me!

#67719 - 04/19/05 09:56 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

I've been reading about Sun Conures, and it says that they can "pig out" on sunflower seeds, so the book suggest turning them into a "some time" food and for special treats. So, I guess I was doing something right without even knowing it! [Smile]

I do wonder why Bailey chose us. We never considered ourselves "bird" people and have never even thought about having a bird. We always said they'd be too noisy.

Imagine now, we have one of the noisiest birds but he doesn't bother us with his squawks and screeches. He's pretty quiet most times, he doesn't like being left alone, so I bring his cage into the office with me so he can watch me while I'm at the computer.

#67720 - 04/19/05 10:08 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

My bird doesn't squawk, she just talks all the time! She's talking as I write this! She's bossy too!

How did you attach the pic of your new baby? I haven't figured out how to do that on this site.

#67721 - 04/19/05 11:01 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

I didn't attach it, I just created a link (like we do with our websites) ..to a picture I have on the web.

Like this

http://www.saltyzoo.com/other/boid/SZ011231_2300_27-800.jpg

Here's a picture of him that first night eating a piece of dry dogfood.

[ April 19, 2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved