The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 86 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#67732 - 04/24/05 08:57 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
We had our first "outing" yesterday. We decided to use the bathroom because we could shut the door to the potty room and keep him in a contained area.

At first, he was going to walk out of the cage like it was nothing, but we accidentally scared him. Then it was a bit of a fluff getting him to come out of the cage. Once he did, he tried to find a corner to hide in, but eventually he grew braver and braver.

We got him to step up on his perch and from there is was an easy move to feeding him seeds by hand. He didn't try to run away or anything.

We figure we'll try that for awhile just to get him used to us outside the cage.

Of course, Jack was in our bedroom behind a closed door so that he didn't frighten Bailey either.

He's really gotten into playing with his toys now. It's fun to watch him interact with them. One of the toys, Greg can hide sunflower seeds in tiny holes. Bailey enjoys seeking out the seeds.

We don't give Bailey a mirror full time. It's only for a couple of hours in the evening. We haven't noticed any possessive behavior over it, but will watch him just in case.

Bailey has already become attached to us, and cries out when we leave the room. He's associated a closing door with Greg coming home from work and makes all kinds of noise until Greg comes into the room to say hello.

It's amazing how quickly he's wriggled his way into our life. [Big Grin]

#67733 - 04/24/05 11:05 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I know...I couldn't believe I could love a bird so much.

When I leave the house, Sammie yells, "See you later, babe" and when I return she says, "Mommie's home." Cracks me up. Nice to know someone is aware of my comings and goings.

My vet said it's amazing how these birds have internal clocks. They're smarter than we realize.

#67734 - 04/25/05 01:11 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
ariadne54 Offline

Loc: WV
I love these postings about the birds...and, Dianne, you have an African Gray!!! They are really talkers, and very intelligent. Mine talked up a storm and could imitate the telephone ringing perfectly, but turned very mean, because I wasn't home enough, and live by myself, so I sold him to a lady who was home all the time and could care for him better. The Grays are said to have the intelligence of a 5 year old child!!!
Now, I've got "Bird Fever" again from reading these posts...Hmm...what breed shall I go for this time!!!?
ARI

#67735 - 04/25/05 01:46 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I want to get a bird so bad but have to keep the house so cold for Reeta and Rosee's thick coats especally in summer, I'm afraid it would get sick and die since they are hot weather birds...

#67736 - 04/25/05 08:31 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

You had a Gray? How cool. Sammie does require a lot of attention. A lot!

Chatty, I keep my house cold. Birds aren't as fragile as you think. Just don't freeze them! I cover Sammie's cage with a blanket in the winter and a sheet in the summer but that's to block out any light so she can sleep better. They need about 12 hours sleep a night.

#67737 - 04/25/05 11:33 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Dianne, and anyone else who has a bird.. Here's a new bird forum where you can chat about your birds, get advice, and meet others who are as "Bird Crazy" as we are.

http://www.thebirdforums.com/forums/index.php?

#67738 - 04/25/05 11:44 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Thanks so much. I've already signed up. Have been enjoying looking at all of the pictures. What a great site! If we don't hear from Chatty for a week or two, it's probably because she's lost on that site, looking at the great birds!

#67739 - 04/26/05 12:24 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh Vicki, what a site and it will be one I visit often, like I don't have enough to do now. Oh well, Dianne when your hooked, your hooked. My middle name should be Push-over... [Cool] [Smile]

#67740 - 04/26/05 12:49 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
ariadne54 Offline

Loc: WV
I am going to check into the bird forum site also. Like Chatty, I have worried about a bird, because I too keep my house cool most of the time, especially at night! I am glad to hear they are hardy!
ARI

#67741 - 04/26/05 03:00 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

I'm glad you like the site. My husband put it together and owns it. He created it along with the help of some other bird people. The site came about all because of Bailey. Now that we have Bailey, Greg wanted a forum to help out bird people. He's done the same thing with Aquariums, he has a forum called The Reef Tank http://www.thereeftank.com/ because he keeps a saltwater aquarium.

He's a busy guy.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved