The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 106 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#67682 - 04/14/05 01:21 AM Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Last night while taking my dog Jack for his nightly constitutional in the back yard, I nearly become the landing pad for a brightly colored orange/red parrot. I call for my husband and he gets the camera. The bird lands on our back fence and walks along it like he owns the place. We think it's hungry so I get some dry dogfood and a dish of water. It eats out of our hands! We try to catch it, but it's too smart. We even try using a towel, but it flies up into the trees. By this time, it's dark. So, we figure that's it and go inside.

This morning, I take Jack out for his morning walk around the back yard and search for the parrot. I can't find it. I hear a screech and look over into our neighbor's yard and there's the parrot sitting on their clothesline.

I call hubby on the phone to tell him the parrot is still around. The bird hears my voice and flies back into our yard, right at me again, trying to land on my head. It follows me through the yard, from tree to tree until we get to our back patio, where it sits on a plant stand. I go inside and get some more dry dogfood and a dish of water, which it appreciates and begins to munch happily.

Figuring we might just have something here, I drive up to the pet store a mile away and purchase a cage and a bag of parrot/conure food. I come home and find the parrot sitting in my gutter above my back door. I set up the cage and fill the dishes with food and water. Then I call up to the parrot to "come here" which it does! It flies right down and starts walking around on the top of the cage. I coax it inside by tempting it with some new food and in he goes, and that's where he's at right now.

I'm watching the lost ads in the newspaper to see if anyone lost a bird, but it's very possible he escaped from Busch Gardens or the local zoo. I talked to the pet store owner and he said if he escaped they don't want him back. He has a metal band around his foot that says TPA,FL. for Tampa, Florida.

As for now, he's quite welcome to set up a new home here with us. I've been studying the Internet learning all I can about Sun Conures.

The bird and I seemed to have bonded in some way. He likes my voice and comes when I say "come here". He is still kind of skittish so doesn't like a lot of movement around him. He even imitates me when I bob my head.

I call it a "him" even though I don't really know. For all I know it could be a she. Females have a rounder head, males are more squarish - According to pages on the Internet.

I just thought I'd tell you'all about my adventure today and how it turned out.

#67683 - 04/14/05 02:47 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh how very exciting and how fortunate the bird was to find you two, people that love animals. Looks like you have a new pet, one that will give you hours of pleasure and fun. Congratulations to you all.... [Big Grin]

#67684 - 04/14/05 03:12 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Thanks Chatty. I felt so bad for him, being out and about with no place to call home. I was afraid he'd become cat food. Our neighborhood has a lot of feral cats.

My dog Jack seems to be fascinated with the bird. He already knows, "Where's the bird?". However, the bird doesn't seem to be too thrilled about Jack. [Smile]

#67685 - 04/14/05 03:54 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Birds are so fascinating, and so very smart. Have you named him, yet?

#67686 - 04/14/05 04:13 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

I haven't figured out a name for him yet. I just call him "Bird"... [Smile]

He's brilliant reddish/orange with green and blue wings and tail with a dash of yellow

#67687 - 04/14/05 04:21 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

You know Vicki he has all the vibrant colors of a mexican Pinyata. (spelling??) and since you first spotted him in a tree where they hang Pinyatas maybe the name would fit him?? So colorful and full of sweetness! [Razz]

#67688 - 04/14/05 05:31 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Pinata, would be a nice name, but I don't want anyone thinking he can be hit like a Pinata. [Smile]

#67689 - 04/14/05 06:54 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Oh, I love this story!!!!! Conure's are so sweet. You did bring the cage inside, right? How lucky for the bird and you. Please keep us posted.

#67690 - 04/14/05 08:47 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Today the adventure continues. Bird and I took a ride down to the local petstore (where I bought the cage and food yesterday). I got his wings clipped and his nails trimmed.

I think he enjoyed the car ride. He stayed on the side of his cage, closest to the window so he could look outside.

I've called all the vets and animal/bird hospitals in the area asking if anyone has reported a parrot missing and left my name and number in case anyone calls in.

We've identified the breeder from his leg tag, so we can do some research in that direction to find his owner.

I got him a couple of toys to play with in his cage, so he's not so bored.

#67691 - 04/14/05 09:23 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I love this adventure!! He's a blessed bird to have found YOU.

#67692 - 04/14/05 09:52 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Checked out some information on this type bird and they are extremely intelligent. I bet he could be taught to talk if he doesn't already know some words. It must be such fun just to wake up everyday knowing hes there. Like a welcomed houseguest. No one would ever think he could be hit just because of his name and I also found out that the birds origin would allow a hispanic name like Pinata. You are so lucky and I hope you get to keep him. [Big Grin] Whatever hes called I'm sure it will suit him just fine.

#67693 - 04/15/05 04:37 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
ariadne54 Offline

Loc: WV
Hi, Vicki!!
I am a fan of birds, and have had two parrots in the past, a sun conure and an African Gray. The conure is not a big talker, but very smart and funny. My conure liked to cuddle up on my chest...very loving and sweet, and also!!! if I had him perched in front of me on my finger and started laughing, he would mimic the laugh, hilarious!!! He would also dangle upside down from his cage door teasing my cat! who would salivate, but KNEW not to bother the bird!
Birds are so much fun...maybe I better get one! Also, check out Victor the Talking Budgie on the Internet...Fascinating!
ARI

#67694 - 04/16/05 07:35 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Birds are a great pet. You're right Ari, the conures are not big talkers but they are shreikers and quite the acrobat.

And watch out for the beak, little but razor sharp.

All this chat is making me miss our Zoe.

[ April 15, 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Jersey Girl ]

#67695 - 04/15/05 08:29 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Vicki, I can't wait for your next blog. [Big Grin]

In one way I want the owners to find their pet and in another way...I don't. [Frown]

On a name. You already have Jack so why not Jill? Depending on the sex of course.

chickadee

[ April 15, 2005, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#67696 - 04/15/05 08:56 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Well, we're getting closer to naming him, I think. Hubby and I are drawing up a list of names that we both like and we'll choose one that we both can agree on. I'm kinda leaning toward "Bailey".

The bird recognizes Jack our dog and has started teasing him. He knows when he shrieks, Jack will come running. Jack of course is still quite fascinated with the bird. He woke up this morning and the first thing he did was go running out into the other room to see if the bird was still there.

I've tried tempting the bird with little treats but so far, he isn't interested. I've tried grapes, pecans, grape tomato, and cut up carrot.

Anyone have any other ideas?

#67697 - 04/15/05 10:31 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Chickadee, I missed the part of your message about "Jill".. how cute! ..but, we think the bird is a "he".. at least that's our assumption. The only way to tell is either surgically or with a DNA test. That's what I've been told anyway.

#67698 - 04/15/05 11:16 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
ariadne54 Offline

I think I've heard that avacados are poisnous to them...better find out!
They should like any fruit, nut, peanut!
ARI

#67699 - 04/15/05 11:33 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Ari, yes.. avacados are poison to conures, as is ice berg lettuce, and of course chocolate.

Well, the carrot offer didn't turn out too well. He's turned his nose (er, beak) up at them.

I think I'm going to try some seeds/nuts and see if he likes that.

#67700 - 04/16/05 12:04 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Jersey Girl Offline

Our Greenwing loved strawberries and (I know I'm going to hear it about this) McDonalds french fries and Chinese spareribs.

#67701 - 04/16/05 01:20 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

spareribs? How bizarre. I wouldn't think a bird would be a meat eater, but I guess so.

Well, ladies. I've decided on a name.

Bailey. As in Bailey Bird.

It's not very exotic, I know. But it fits how I talk to him and he seems to enjoy the sing song - ness of it.

Since I'm home all day, he's become used to seeing me walk around the house and hearing me. Especially when I talk to Jack. I swear, Bailey's first words are going to be "Jack, No. Bad Dog."

Jack's been climbing onto the sofa to get a better look at Bailey and he knows he's not allowed on the sofa.

#67702 - 04/16/05 05:00 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
ariadne54 Offline

I like Bailey for a name! Also, it is easy to hear and say, and soon Bailey may be saying it! Just curious, Vicki....What kind of dog is Jack?
I'm imagining a Jack Russell.
Ari

#67703 - 04/16/05 06:12 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Jersey Girl Offline

Bailey is a great name.

Zoe loved spare ribs I used to get her a small order for herself. The owner of the restaurant said he always had people who asked for doggie bags but never people who actually ordered for their pet.

#67704 - 04/17/05 12:10 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Ari, Jack is an American Eskimo. He's all white, with long fluffy hair.

His full name is PR Vicki's Jack Frost

The PR stands for Purple Ribbon. For Eskimos the PR means his pedigree can be traced back at least 8 generations.

Here's a link to what American Eskimos look like
http://www.americaneskimo.com/

[ April 16, 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#67705 - 04/17/05 01:00 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Here's a picture of Bailey. Taken the first night he flew into our yard.

http://www.saltyzoo.com/other/boid/SZ011231_2300_09x-1024.jpg

#67706 - 04/17/05 01:18 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
WOW!! He is beautiful!!!

#67707 - 04/17/05 01:32 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

#67708 - 04/17/05 03:43 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Jersey Girl Offline

What a beautiful bird. He should bring you a lot of joy.

#67709 - 04/17/05 05:01 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Isn't he just precious. He looks like a baby bird with that sweet face. How lucky you were to find him....

#67710 - 04/17/05 06:17 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Vicki, Bailey is precious! How beautiful! You are very fortunate indeed.

JJ

#67711 - 04/17/05 08:17 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
ariadne54 Offline

Wow, Vickie...Bailey is really beautiful.
I too have an all white Eskimo dog. Kelley is bigger than the American Eskimo. I rescued her from the Lexington, KY pound one summer when I went down to visit my daughter while she was a student at Univ. of Ky. Her roommate had brought Kelley home from the pound, but was going to return her that day. I said "I'll take her." Kelley, at that time was covered with fleas and missing half her beautiful white fur. I didn't even spend the night, but drove back to my vet that very day and got her treated. She is happy and healthy and a wonderful companion.
I also have a tiny, 3 pound Yorkie, "Puppers," and a big ol' cat who tolerates the dogs. Now thinking I need to get a bird!!!
ARI

#67712 - 04/18/05 12:02 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

We're progressing quite well with Bailey. He's now taking treats from our hand and doesn't run away. He's "chattering" and is so sweet. He knows "come here" and "Good Bird".

Hubby and I went to Petsmart today to do some shopping for Bailey. We got him a treat dish, a new perch, a cozy cuddly bed and a bag of treats. It took him about an hour to get use to the new treat dish in his cage, but once he learned that it contained yummy stuff, there wasn't any problem. [Smile]

Ari, you have quite a zoo, I guess you're missing a bird though. Might want to think about it. We thought it would be harder to take care of, but it actually hasn't been. And, we've been really good about giving attention to both Bailey and Jack.

#67713 - 04/18/05 01:26 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Good thinking it would be easy to forget an old pet when a new cute little one comes along and pets do feel ignored. Its amazing to me always how much emotion they do feel. I have to be so very careful with all the animals passing through my home that I foster temporarily. Reeta my Yorkie use to be so jealous but now I make sure she is told and shown that they are her friends and she should make them feel at home. I swear she understands that. Plus there are certain toys that belong only to her and Rosee. It is just like having more children. [Big Grin]

#67714 - 04/18/05 11:53 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Your new bird is so adorable. My daughter is green with envy, always wanted one but we have an AG and a little parakeet, plus a dog and cat. Enough already. Thanks for the pictures. I'm in love.

#67715 - 04/19/05 12:04 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Thanks, Dianne. We've already fallen in love with the screechy thing. [Smile] We need to buy him a bigger / taller cage. The one I bought is too small for him. He needs something taller so he can do his climbing. We haven't let him out yet. We're being very cautious since he's probably been in the wild for a while and not housebroken and plus we have Jack, who would give anything to get some one on one time with Bailey. [Smile]

#67716 - 04/19/05 12:16 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I have to watch my dog around my bird. Not for the bird's safety but the dog's. That beak could take my dog's nose off! She already bit my dog on the butt!

My bird loves Millet. I think that's how you spell it. Petsmart has it. A nice little treat.

#67717 - 04/20/05 07:46 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Bailey is quite picky. We've been trying various treats to see what he'll eat and what he won't. So far, sunflower seeds are his favorite. He doesn't like pine nuts, pecans, carrots, tomatoes, grapes, pineapple (dried) or actually anything yellow/white.

We bought a tropical fruit treat mix and are picking out the sunflower seeds to feed to him by hand. He gets the rest of it in a small treat dish. He likes the small seeds so giving him millet might work too. We've started hiding sunflower seeds in one of his toys. He's enjoying the hunt.

#67718 - 04/19/05 08:13 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I don't know about your breed but I have to be sure my AG gets mainly bright colored fruits and veggies or she'll become a "seed junkie."

I showed my daughter the pic of Bailey and she said, "Oh, if that happened to me, I'd know how much God loved me!" I don't think we need another bird so I'm considering that a Sun not flying into our back yard is a way God is showing me how much He loved me!

#67719 - 04/19/05 09:56 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

I've been reading about Sun Conures, and it says that they can "pig out" on sunflower seeds, so the book suggest turning them into a "some time" food and for special treats. So, I guess I was doing something right without even knowing it! [Smile]

I do wonder why Bailey chose us. We never considered ourselves "bird" people and have never even thought about having a bird. We always said they'd be too noisy.

Imagine now, we have one of the noisiest birds but he doesn't bother us with his squawks and screeches. He's pretty quiet most times, he doesn't like being left alone, so I bring his cage into the office with me so he can watch me while I'm at the computer.

#67720 - 04/19/05 10:08 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

My bird doesn't squawk, she just talks all the time! She's talking as I write this! She's bossy too!

How did you attach the pic of your new baby? I haven't figured out how to do that on this site.

#67721 - 04/19/05 11:01 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

I didn't attach it, I just created a link (like we do with our websites) ..to a picture I have on the web.

Like this

http://www.saltyzoo.com/other/boid/SZ011231_2300_27-800.jpg

Here's a picture of him that first night eating a piece of dry dogfood.

[ April 19, 2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#67722 - 04/20/05 12:11 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

He reminds me of a little, feathered teddy bear.

Well, all I have is a document/picture folder of my bird pictures. This other stuff is just too high tech for the love/hate relationship I have with my computer.

#67723 - 04/20/05 10:22 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Bailey discovered the mirror yesterday. He's fascinated by it. Now we give him playtime in front of the mirror in the evenings before bedtime.

#67724 - 04/20/05 11:14 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I gave Sammie a mirror once. She destroyed it and the frame in about one hour.

#67725 - 04/21/05 12:02 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

the mirror is above my chest of drawers. We sit his cage in front of it so that he can play but not reach it.

I guess Sammie didn't need the mirror, mirror to tell her who the fairest parrot was. She knew.

#67726 - 04/21/05 01:40 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Or she thinks so. She's pretty much into herself. I have put her on my bathroom counter when I'm getting ready for the day and she'll tap at the mirror with her beak. She also tries to chew on things. I have to really watch her and when I say no, she yells back.

#67727 - 04/21/05 03:17 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Oh my a back talking bird, how funny is that?

Bailey is so adorable and really looks like a baby bird. I wonder how old it is...

I envy you both your adorable babies.... [Smile]

#67728 - 04/21/05 03:24 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Yes Chatty, Sammie is very sassy. Just like my kids were. Wonder where they got that from? Me?

Chatty, I think you need to adopt a bird. Really. You would be such a good mommy. Maybe you can look in the want ads and if you see somebody trying to sell one, tell them if they don't get a buyer, you'll take it off their hands. I'm serious.

#67729 - 04/21/05 09:44 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

I never thought I could be a "Bird" person.. but I just know know what'd I'd do without the little fella now. He's so much a part of our famiy. He fits right in. I love watching him do his little tricks.

One of his favorite is hanging upside down by one foot, or his beak. Then he'll give a happy screech.

He's hilarious.

Chatty, I don't have a clue how old Bailey is. He doesn't have any baby feathers, so he's an adult. How old, who knows?

He definitely has a stubborn streak, though. I tried to give him a piece of orange yesterday, he turned up his nose at it. I left it in his cage and he threw it down.

#67730 - 04/23/05 01:41 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Sammie does that too---hangs upside down by one foot and yells. She's fallen a few times on her head but gets back up and starts it all over again.

I'm a little concerned about a few of the feathers on one of her wings. I think I'm going to take her to the vet to have her checked out.

You know Vicki, when I go to the grocery store the check out clerk always remarks how healthy I eat. If she only knew it was for Sammie and not me!

[ April 22, 2005, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

#67731 - 04/23/05 02:02 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Dianne, I hope Sammie's vet visit goes well. She has such a good mommy to watch over her and give her lots of yummy things to eat.

We should all probably eat as healthy as our birds, right? [Big Grin]

#67732 - 04/24/05 08:57 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

We had our first "outing" yesterday. We decided to use the bathroom because we could shut the door to the potty room and keep him in a contained area.

At first, he was going to walk out of the cage like it was nothing, but we accidentally scared him. Then it was a bit of a fluff getting him to come out of the cage. Once he did, he tried to find a corner to hide in, but eventually he grew braver and braver.

We got him to step up on his perch and from there is was an easy move to feeding him seeds by hand. He didn't try to run away or anything.

We figure we'll try that for awhile just to get him used to us outside the cage.

Of course, Jack was in our bedroom behind a closed door so that he didn't frighten Bailey either.

He's really gotten into playing with his toys now. It's fun to watch him interact with them. One of the toys, Greg can hide sunflower seeds in tiny holes. Bailey enjoys seeking out the seeds.

We don't give Bailey a mirror full time. It's only for a couple of hours in the evening. We haven't noticed any possessive behavior over it, but will watch him just in case.

Bailey has already become attached to us, and cries out when we leave the room. He's associated a closing door with Greg coming home from work and makes all kinds of noise until Greg comes into the room to say hello.

It's amazing how quickly he's wriggled his way into our life. [Big Grin]

#67733 - 04/24/05 11:05 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I know...I couldn't believe I could love a bird so much.

When I leave the house, Sammie yells, "See you later, babe" and when I return she says, "Mommie's home." Cracks me up. Nice to know someone is aware of my comings and goings.

My vet said it's amazing how these birds have internal clocks. They're smarter than we realize.

#67734 - 04/25/05 01:11 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
ariadne54 Offline

I love these postings about the birds...and, Dianne, you have an African Gray!!! They are really talkers, and very intelligent. Mine talked up a storm and could imitate the telephone ringing perfectly, but turned very mean, because I wasn't home enough, and live by myself, so I sold him to a lady who was home all the time and could care for him better. The Grays are said to have the intelligence of a 5 year old child!!!
Now, I've got "Bird Fever" again from reading these posts...Hmm...what breed shall I go for this time!!!?
ARI

#67735 - 04/25/05 01:46 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I want to get a bird so bad but have to keep the house so cold for Reeta and Rosee's thick coats especally in summer, I'm afraid it would get sick and die since they are hot weather birds...

#67736 - 04/25/05 08:31 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

You had a Gray? How cool. Sammie does require a lot of attention. A lot!

Chatty, I keep my house cold. Birds aren't as fragile as you think. Just don't freeze them! I cover Sammie's cage with a blanket in the winter and a sheet in the summer but that's to block out any light so she can sleep better. They need about 12 hours sleep a night.

#67737 - 04/25/05 11:33 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Dianne, and anyone else who has a bird.. Here's a new bird forum where you can chat about your birds, get advice, and meet others who are as "Bird Crazy" as we are.

http://www.thebirdforums.com/forums/index.php?

#67738 - 04/25/05 11:44 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Thanks so much. I've already signed up. Have been enjoying looking at all of the pictures. What a great site! If we don't hear from Chatty for a week or two, it's probably because she's lost on that site, looking at the great birds!

#67739 - 04/26/05 12:24 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Oh Vicki, what a site and it will be one I visit often, like I don't have enough to do now. Oh well, Dianne when your hooked, your hooked. My middle name should be Push-over... [Cool] [Smile]

#67740 - 04/26/05 12:49 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
ariadne54 Offline

I am going to check into the bird forum site also. Like Chatty, I have worried about a bird, because I too keep my house cool most of the time, especially at night! I am glad to hear they are hardy!
ARI

#67741 - 04/26/05 03:00 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

I'm glad you like the site. My husband put it together and owns it. He created it along with the help of some other bird people. The site came about all because of Bailey. Now that we have Bailey, Greg wanted a forum to help out bird people. He's done the same thing with Aquariums, he has a forum called The Reef Tank http://www.thereeftank.com/ because he keeps a saltwater aquarium.

He's a busy guy.

#67742 - 04/27/05 07:01 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Your hubby put that site together? What a talented guy. It's awesome.

#67743 - 04/26/05 11:55 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Wow Vicki, he is so talented. I would likie to see the fish one as well. I am a fish nut too. Don't think there is anything I don't love in the animal kingdom. Wewll, maybe snakes. Never have been fond of or excited by snakes, no snake, no time, no how.... [Eek!]

#67744 - 04/27/05 12:46 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

yuck.. I saw a snake in the back yard yesterday when I was walking Jack. It was a great big black snake.

Brrr.. I get chills just thinking of it. I don't like snakes. Never have. Never will.

Yes. There isn't much Greg can't do with a computer. He's a great programmer and administrator.

#67745 - 04/28/05 12:12 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I should ask your hubby if he wants to take over as my webmaster. I can't get mine to do anything I ask.

#67746 - 04/28/05 01:46 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

You can't get your husband to do anything you ask, or your webmaster? <GRIN> [Big Grin]

#67747 - 04/28/05 03:29 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Both! No. Just my webmaster.

#67748 - 04/28/05 03:55 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

haha! funny joke.

He doesn't really do websites, he likes the forum type websites. Like the bird forum. But, it never hurts to ask. I've been wrong about him before. [Smile]

#67749 - 04/28/05 03:57 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Bailey likes yogurt. We share mine in the mornings. He uses a separate spoon so we don't share germs.

We had pineapple yogurt yesterday and he picked out the pineapple and flung them. Today we had strawberry yogurt and he liked the strawberries.

He still won't let us touch him. But we can feed him treats while he's out of the cage sitting on a perch.

#67750 - 04/28/05 05:41 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Hes coming along nicely Vicki in the short time hes been with you. I give it about another month and he'll be sitting on your shoulder giving you kisses.... [Razz]

#67751 - 05/01/05 10:29 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Well, we're making progress with Bailey. During our training sessions, he has taken to scampering to either Greg's or my shoulder whenever he feels like he's finished. He still doesn't want to be touched unless it's on his terms. Like he wants to be the one who touches first.

We're teaching him "Step Up" to step up on a perch or hand.

He's not so frightened of us anymore and has really settled down. We're going to the keys next weekend and will be taking Jack and Bailey with us. Yay!

#67752 - 05/05/05 04:22 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Not to change the subject but has anyone seen the new commercial out, can't remember the product, but its a baby elephant dancing to "Singing In The Rain." and they show birds and other animals. It is so cute. No sex or violence, can you believe it???? [Cool]

#67753 - 05/05/05 05:23 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Chatty,
I love that commerical it is so cute . I love elephants . So cute!

Just makes you want to smile [Big Grin]

[ May 04, 2005, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#67754 - 05/05/05 06:17 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Gosh, you guys make me miss having a bird. But my cats would think I bought them a new toy. Can't have that. Maybe a mynah. Can you still get those? I haven't seen one in years.

#67755 - 05/05/05 07:14 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Chatty,
Our kitten loves that commercial and will watch the whole thing. She seems to love any commercial with animals in it or any program. She is quite a character.
Maggie

#67756 - 05/06/05 06:28 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
chatty lady Offline
Writer

My Reeta is that way and really stares intently at the TV if an animal is making any kind of noises. Rosee could care less buy her sister get her nose right up to the screen.

#67757 - 05/07/05 07:36 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
maryanne stahl Offline

Loc: Savannah
I am loving this thread! I've always wanted a bird--an African grey is my first choice, because of their intelligence and verbal ability--but all parrots are cool. You are very special that this bird chose to land on you!

#67758 - 05/08/05 12:24 AM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Speaking of Greys...this morning I heard "Dianne, Dianne!" in my husband's voice so I said, "what?" No response so I leaned over the stair railing and said "David?" I heard, "Huh?" I said, "Did you call me?" and I heard, "Yeah" and finally went downstairs to see what he wanted and it was my crazy bird messing with my mind.

#67759 - 05/09/05 10:15 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

http://www.pbs.org/saf/1201/video/watchonline.htm

Check this out, especially the one on Alex. What a great site!

#67760 - 05/09/05 11:07 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Dianne, thanks for sharing, I shared it with the bird forum as well.

#67761 - 05/31/05 11:42 PM Re: Sun Conure - Newest Addition
maryanne stahl Offline

Loc: Savannah
LOL I love that your crazy grey messes with your mind, and Alex is my hero.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved