The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#67889 - 06/29/05 11:22 PM Re: Pit Bulls
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
My neighbors had a pit bull that was docile and nice but I still never trusted it. The reason is that years ago when my husband was on his way to work, he was stopped at a light and a little old man was walking his poodle across the street. A pit bull came running at them from seemingly nowhere and literally grabbed the poodle by the neck, and started shaking it. My husband jumped out of his truck to help and had a stick or a bat or something and was hitting the dog to try to make it let go of the poodle. It's teeth never budged. The poor old man was beside himself. The dog never stopped until the poodle was dead. Very sad story.

#67890 - 06/29/05 11:23 PM Re: Pit Bulls
leigha Offline

Loc: british columbia
Dear Dianne

Thank you for your kind words Dianne and I don't mind you posting that we've been 'PMing' each other.

I'm glad that whatever good that I can bring can be shared to help all of you lovely ladies.

Love and sharing the best of who we are and helping in any way we can....that's life isn't it...the perpetuation of the good.

Have a lovely day Dianne!

With love
Leigha

#67891 - 07/30/05 04:35 PM Re: Pit Bulls
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
A law to eliminate ALL pit bulldogs in Oklahoma is being proposed by a state lawmaker, but animal lovers think the U.S. Constitution will be their best friend in this "dog fight."

Rep. Paul Wesselholf is drafting a bill to outlaw pit bulls statewide as he continues to help a family whose 3 year old son lost an arm in an encounter with a neighbor's four pit bulls about a month ago.

"Pit Bulls are bred to be fighters and killers," he said. Pit Bull terrier owner Marlene McCabe(Green Country American Pit Bull Terrier Club -members 25) said "they are taught to be killers."

So far the city of Denver has outlawed the breed. This OK law would grandfather in all pit bulls currently in Oklahoma. However, pit bull owners would have to sterilize their dogs which would eventually wipe out the breed.

McCabe has garhered 155 signatures to oppose legislation.

I thought I would continue to post on this subject as I am still intrigued with the idea that a gene or something(?) could be responsible for the change of behaviour in this particular breed. I have been researching and I have taken a Leigha approach in looking for answers. Somewhere in all that has been written, could lie an answer/s.

I am reading your book SUNBLOOD, Leigh also. I just started and have become totally enveloped in it. Truly Amazing.

chick

#67892 - 07/31/05 01:29 AM Re: Pit Bulls
leigha Offline

Dear Chicadee

I love the way you think with regard to helping and understanding life!

Thank you for you lovely words concerning SUNBLOOD. I am gratified that what I have lived can help and inspire and I truly hope that only good comes from it!

Your beautiful words have touched my heart Chicadee! Have a wonderful day!

#67893 - 07/31/05 03:59 AM Re: Pit Bulls
chickadee Offline

Dear Leigha,

You are a breath of life and an inspiration, to all who cross your path, with an energy that journeys from sister-heart to sister-heart.

Love,Andria

#67894 - 07/31/05 08:27 AM Re: Pit Bulls
leigha Offline

Dear Chicadee/Andria

What lovely words Andria...you have no idea how much your heartfelt words mean to me. They lift my spirit and soul with joy that I can help and give love freely and with hope and beauty.

Love
Leigha

#67895 - 08/01/05 07:47 AM Re: Pit Bulls
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
When I was growing up it was German Shepards that had a bad reputation, now it is Pit Bulls. I have been around and owned many breeds and it was a Cocker Spaniel that ripped out my knee, and the dog knew me. She had just had a litter, I wasn't even in the house, she ran to the door as my friend opened it and the dog attacked me.

I have seen the most docile breed become aggressive because of a bad owner.

I think there are some breeds that are a bit more prone to aggression, yet I know Pit Bull owners who swear their dog is the sweetest thing.

I always go with my instinct when I choose a dog and not necessarily the breed. I actually prefer mixed breeds.

I have a Mackenzie River Husky wolf mix and she is the calmest dog I have ever owned YET she did on one occassion go after my friend when my friend hugged my husband. The dog didn't bite--just a warning on the butt. However, I learned real fast that day that you can never fully anticipate what an animal will do and what will make them kick into protection mode.

#67896 - 08/02/05 04:51 PM Re: Pit Bulls
chickadee Offline

Jersey, I've never heard of the breed. Is she big and does she have blue eyes. I think most dogs have a dedication to their owner i.e protection mode, but the stories of (some)Pit Bulls savagely attacking and killing humans is what pulls me to investigate the facts.
I have never been bitten by a dog, do you fear dogs now?

Leigha, your welcome. I have to ask. Do you have another book in the works? As I said before, you have an extraordinary way with words...
chick

#67897 - 08/03/05 04:44 AM Re: Pit Bulls
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have 2 Yorkshire Terriers who are 8 year old sisters from the same liter. Because of my work with the SPCA and fostering they have been exposed to many different dogs. Both have been raised exactly the same in all ways yet Rosee loves everyone and is quite friendly where Reeta will get quiet and just stare and then if approached she snaps and I know she might bite. There is no reason for this difference yet there it is. I have raised German Shepherds and Dobermans who were the sweetest dogs yet very much the guard dog especially when my sons were toddlers. The dogs were very protective. NO dog breed is inherintenly bad. Sometimes its just the owners and sometimes it is something negative in the animal. Like two twin brothers raised exactly the same, one an A student the other having to struggle just to pass. Go figure! [Razz]

[ August 02, 2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#67898 - 08/03/05 09:44 PM Re: Pit Bulls
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Chick - She is big but (125 lbs.), she does not have blue eyes. In-spite of her size you can never hear her walking around the house. My pugs are so much smaller and you always know where they are. LOL

No, I am not afraid of dogs since I have been bitten. As I have gotten older and raised more dogs, I have become better at reading them.

Here is a link I found with pictures of the Mackenzie Rivers. http://www.angelfire.com/on3/happyhuskies2/makriv.html. Mine is a dark tan and with brown eyes and a cream face.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved