The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#68879 - 06/21/06 08:49 PM Choosing a name...
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
So what is your pet's name and how did you choose it?

We have a fat beagle named Luke. We got him as a puppy, right at the time that Star Wars was coming out . . . hence, Luke (Skywalker).

How 'bout you?

#68880 - 06/21/06 08:52 PM Re: Choosing a name...
watt-a-dog Offline

Loc: Scotland
Tam Lin is the name of a charicture in a Scottish Ballad, can read here if you want http://tam-lin.org/ (its long so I dont wanna post it)
If you go to my website theres pictures of My Tam Lin (the Mastiff [Smile] )

[ June 21, 2006, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: watt-a-dog ]

#68881 - 06/21/06 08:54 PM Re: Choosing a name...
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
We have two dogs: a queensland heeler named Peanut because when we adopted her and brought her home, she looked like a peanut with huge ears; a dobie/aussie mix named Archie 'cause when we adopted him and were shopping for collars I picked up one of those jeweled collars jokingly and my partner said that it looked like something Liberace would wear. We also have two cats: one white with a black tail who is named Eddie 'cause he looks like an Eddie; and a black cat with white markings who is named Schmoo because she has the same markings as Shamoo the whale. Silly, huh? There are long stories associated with each pet as my partner has a very vivid imagination!!

#68882 - 06/21/06 09:01 PM Re: Choosing a name...
Scissorart Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
My toy poodle Bijan, we named after the perfume. I couldn't come up with a name and my mom wears this. It just kind of fit her. Eclipse, my miniature, was named because she is black. Hagrid, my bouvier, was named after Hagrid on Harry Potter. My bouvier is very hairy and large.

#68883 - 06/21/06 09:16 PM Re: Choosing a name...
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
We have 2 cocker spaniels..one buff and white named Trevor...no reason...my daughter just liked the name...and a black one named Zeke...named after a cute little actor on a show called Paradise....they are the loves of my life!! [Smile]

#68884 - 06/21/06 09:17 PM Re: Choosing a name...
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Our American Eskimo is all white. So, we wanted a theme name. His full name is PR Vicki's Jack Frost, but we call him Jack for short.

#68885 - 06/21/06 09:40 PM Re: Choosing a name...
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I have one dog that doesn't know she is a dog. Trixie is her name, and writing is her game. Her pic's on my homepage. I named her Trixie since her sister was already named Dixie...they looked liked twins and well, you know...

My son brought me Trixie, almost 13 years ago. She's ruled this house every since. She only goes out to do her business and prefers recliners and Law and Order, Special Units.

After my son got Dixie, and I got Trixie, he bought a registered boxer and named him Duke. I called him Duke of Stupid. I swear, that was the dumbest dog I've ever been around in my life. But he did give them 9 puppies. It was the only thing he knew how to do right.

For those of you that have a copy of my book, you've read the Dog Sitting 101 story of babysitting Trixie, Dixie, and Duke and making the mistake of leaving them alone in the house for about 20 minutes.

DON'T TRUST THEM.

JJ

#68886 - 06/21/06 09:48 PM Re: Choosing a name...
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
JJ, I just read your book last night (while my hubby was watching the NBA finals - boring!) and I absolutely loved it!!!! I'll be emailing you about it soon.

Our first dog was born in August, so we named him Augustus - very regal, don't you think? So once we realized he was quite a lovable doofus and not so regal, he became Auggie, and then Auggie-Doggie. (remember that cartoon with Auggie Doggie and Doggie Daddy?)

#68887 - 06/22/06 02:43 AM Re: Choosing a name...
Barkus Offline

Loc: Tyler TX
My Wire Fox Terrier is named Foxey, it just fit her. My Brussels Griffon is named Yuki, pronounced You-Key, she had the name when she came over from Hungary and I did not have the heart to change it.

#68888 - 06/22/06 02:54 AM Re: Choosing a name...
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Well, most of you already know about my puppy, since I was talking about her and named her months before she was even born!! But for those few who don't - I have a 3 month old Golden Retriever and her name is Aspen Gold. I chose this name because I live in CO and we have aspens everywhere. The leaves turn golden and she's a Golden, so it seemed to be appropriate.

What's really cute is my 6 year old came up with the nickname, Aspenola. (I don't know how to put that squiggly line over the "n"). It's perfect because of the Mexican heritage in this part of the country. Clever little guy, huh?
I also started the nickname Puppygirl.

[ June 21, 2006, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]

#68889 - 06/22/06 02:57 AM Re: Choosing a name...
Bluebird Offline

Oh I remember Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy!! Didn't think anyone else did!!

#68890 - 06/22/06 03:28 AM Re: Choosing a name...
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
i remember them too Jackie!!! [Smile] ...JJ...I think I already mentioned to you that I copied the Dog sitting 101 story to send out to my girlfriends on my buddy list...it was such a hit they all went out and bought their own copies....

#68891 - 06/22/06 03:32 AM Re: Choosing a name...
CanineDesign Offline

Loc: Missouri
I have a

Havanese named Savannah because it's a popular name for girls in Cuba and her breed originates in Havana, so I call her Savannah from Havana [Smile]

Black Standard Poodle, named Ravyn well because I thought it was a neat name for a black dog.

Wippet named Phoenix, I met my birthmother a few weeks before I brought Phoenix home, and she lives in Phoenix and thought it was a good name for such a sleek fast moving dog.

Golden Retriever named Daisy, my daughter picked that out

Black and white mixed cat named Patches, well because she is patched [Smile]

Maine Coon cat named Raennah, because I thought it was a pretty name. Rayna means queen and she acts like one, I just spell it differant

Calico mixed cat named Annabelle, again because I thought it was a pretty name

Paso Fino horse named Tejano but his registered name is Mayoral and it was a hard one for people to say and I liked the name Tejano so I changed it

Paso Fino horse named Poeta, he came with the name

African Grey named Qena, which is a river in Africa

Blue and Gold Macaw named Portia, and I just liked the name and it is native for her country of origin

Cockatiel named Frodo after Lord of the Rings

Mini-Lop rabbit named Thumper after Thumper on Bambi

And that's my zoo! [Smile]

#68892 - 06/22/06 03:33 AM Re: Choosing a name...
CanineDesign Offline

Bluebird, my first pet was a hampster I named Augie after Augie Doggie [Smile]

#68893 - 06/22/06 03:41 AM Re: Choosing a name...
Bluebird Offline

Canine, you have all these pets NOW??

#68894 - 06/22/06 04:52 AM Re: Choosing a name...
CanineDesign Offline

Yes, but Tejano is at my trainers stable and she is selling him for me, I hate it but he is just too hot for me. I had a bad accident on him last Fall and haven't been able to ride him since out of fear, he is worth 7,500 and don't want him sitting around doing nothing when he should be in the show ring winning ribbons. Also Portia my Blue and Gold is going to be re-homed, she was a rescue and I never intended to keep her, I have a friend who has always wanted a parrot but can't afford one so I'm going to give her to my friend this weekend. But yes, right now I have all of those animals. You would think my house is crazy but really they are all well behaved, well cared for and we all enjoy them very much.

#68896 - 06/23/06 07:50 AM Re: Choosing a name...
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I forgot to tell you about our parrot, he's a Sun Conure. Bright orange, red, yellow, with blue and green on his wings and tail.

He adopted us by flying into our back yard. For a couple of days I just called him "bird" because I didn't want to get too attached to him in case we found his owner. Eventually, we didn't find his owner, so we thought up a name for him. At first I wsanted something exotic because of his coloring, but my husband and I couldn't agree on anything. Then, the name "Bailey" popped into my head. It goes great with "bailey bird" so that's his name, and he recognizes it. We've had him now for a little over a year. He's definitely my bird. He tolerates my husband, barely, and thinks he can beat the dog up. He's not afraid of Jack at all.

#68897 - 06/23/06 02:02 AM Re: Choosing a name...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Canine Design, I think I love you....LOL You are a real true friend to the animal world. I have had a similar line up in my home but most were passing through awiting their own permanent homes. You are the example of a real pet person. BRAVO TO YOU....My two pets are 9 year old Yorkshire Terriers. Their names at 8 months old when I adopted them, were Ash's Mystical Melosa Rita and Ash's Mystial Meena Rose. I brought them home and my son who had come over for Mexican food night was teasing and called them Rosa/Reta after that spicy seasoning with the same name and we've called them that ever since, Rosee and Reeta. Whats so odd is they are from a litter of 7 pups and they have never been apart even for a day and their personalities are like night and day...such different acting little dogs.

[ June 22, 2006, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#68898 - 06/23/06 09:44 AM Re: Choosing a name...
CanineDesign Offline

HaHa, well thanks Chatty my family thinks I'm crazy!! LOL It's funny though everyone asks how I can have so many animals in the house but it is surprizingly peaceful. The cats are pretty much either warming a lap, eating, using the litter box or off doing their own thing wherever that is. The bunny and birds are in their cages and out about once a day for some playtime. The dogs are usually found lounging on, or under something, chewing or sleeping or in Savannah's case guarding my lap against intruders lol. And most of the time the golden is outside as she loves it out there and she is a little too rough and tumble for my old whippet. My horse (the one who is not for sale) is at a boarding stable across town, which I hate but I live in town so that's just how it's got to be. I try to go see him every couple of days and he gets excellent care from the stable staff.

I really like the names of your yorkies Chatty. It kinda reminds me of a customer that had two very sweet adorable female pit bulls out of the same litter named Chili and Salsa. I'm not really a pit bull fan but these girls were true sweethearts!

#68899 - 06/24/06 07:05 AM Re: Choosing a name...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I hate to bring in a sad note here but Smoochie has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. Too much internal damage and too much time apparently passed before help came. She was loved and spoiled, held and kissed to the very end. Thanks from the bottom of my heart for your prayers....

[ June 24, 2006, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#68900 - 06/24/06 03:13 PM Re: Choosing a name...
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Chatty, I am heartbroken to hear this. It takes a special person to give foster care to animals who may end up this way. Thank you for being there for Smoochie.
Luv
chick

#68901 - 07/28/06 07:32 AM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: chickadee]
JaMaPh Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
Ours is named PD, short for 'perfect dog' which was the first reason, but it has evolved to 'prima donna' or 'pooty dog'.

He's part shepherd part sheltie and very very smart and very prissy. He's a eunuch and will be 8 this oct. His first owners threw and pulled him in the pool they had to teach him to stay out of it I guess and he's pretty terrified of it now. they were nasty people, that treated him somewhat well, but he is afraid of yelling people and hates camping and hates shooting. Such a prima donna!
But I can teach him to do anything in a very short time.
And he's cute and everyone loves him. He is cut short for the summers here except his perky ears and his raccoon tail that is bushy and has a black ring around it.

JaMa

#68902 - 07/28/06 07:14 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: JaMaPh]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, JaMa: I named one of my boxers C'mere for "come here" and another one was named Pat (for the pun: pat the dog). My macau was called Big Bird. Okay, I was only 17 then...

#68903 - 07/28/06 08:19 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I like to name my foster dogs, I named a huge black and white Great dane, Polka Dot and the new owners kept the name then came Smoochie a 100 pound giant, guess why, yep she smothered me wish kisses. I have people calling me to come see their new dog and help with the name, its tons of fun....

Edited by chatty lady (07/28/06 08:20 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#68904 - 07/28/06 08:24 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Bluebird]
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Angus & Robbie....good Scottish names for our Westie & Scottie. Little Maltese X called Jeff, and it suits him. We have an Oriental (cat) called China and a Ragdoll Bellamy (was supposed to have been Bella....but the breeder got it wrong!!!)

I have a black quarter house called Doc's Jade but call him JD for short.

And we name all our Angus cows and calves too!!

#68905 - 07/29/06 07:55 AM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: flossie]
Lola Offline

Hi, Flossie: I presume that's a quarter horse. Where do you keep him? Is he in stables? I bought my grandson a shetland for £2.00 three years ago. He was one of six unwanteds and we rescued him. My grandson has never ridden George and walks him like a dog.

#68906 - 07/29/06 09:05 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Lola]
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Thanks Lola, I obviously didn't check my spelling there! Yes, JD's a horse! We live on a farm and he has a paddock for the daytime and a smaller area with a huge open shed which I put his feed and haynet in. It's all right by the house and he often calls out when he sees us outside. He also grazes the front lawn so we don't have to mow it. No fancy gardens for me here, but I have a great view!

We used to have a shetland for my daughter when she was small, we've had a horse or two ever since!

#68907 - 07/29/06 09:32 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: flossie]
JaMaPh Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
Lola! LOL!! Thats funny. I was threatening to name a dog if we ever got one..heh heh...

do it out loud...c'mere heh heh. heheh heh heh. come heh heh.
can't you just HEAR it out camping...HEH HEH come HERE!

LOL...oh i crack myself up. lol
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Like real life stuff? Go here:
http://www.my-walk-with-God.com

#68908 - 08/06/06 09:05 AM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: JaMaPh]
Lola Offline

Hi, JaMa: You cracked me up on that one!!! Yep, I can just picture you calling out to the dog and people around you thinking you're about to cough up a furball! Laughing my head off now.

#68909 - 08/06/06 09:13 AM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

Oh, I forgot to add: my grandchildren call their rabbit Roger.

#68910 - 08/06/06 02:25 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I did it. I called out loud "Heh Heh come here. My son popped his head in the doorway. What does this mean, JaMaPh? LOL

#68911 - 08/07/06 03:31 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Edelweiss]
jjblue Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
We lost our 'Chelsea' girl (cat, tortie) last September. Finally, last week, I was able to adopt another. Her name is Castagna--Italian for Chestnut, the color of her eyes.

I love this site, there is a topic for all aspects of our lives!

#68912 - 08/07/06 04:30 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: jjblue]
Lola Offline

Hi, jjblue: Castagna! Bene. What kind of cat is she? My friend has a Burmese who I really, really fancy but the feeling is'nt mutual.

#68913 - 08/07/06 04:51 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Lola]
jjblue Offline

Hi, Lola. Come stai? She is a cream domestic Heinz 57, rescued from a feral existence when very young. It looks like she is going to be a long hair, is very interactive and enjoys La Vita Bella!

#68914 - 08/07/06 05:04 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: jjblue]
Lola Offline

Sono benissimo, grazie. E voi? I would love to have a cat but could not make up my mind at the cattery last month. There were quite a few of us out to adopt and most were taken before I could decide. My grandchildren and I are going back to have another try this weekend.

#68915 - 08/07/06 07:06 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Lola]
jjblue Offline

Molto bene, grazie. I find that the right kitten will find you--If you have been to the cattery, methinks you are ready! Your grandchildren will love helping you choose. Good Luck! I agree, Burmese are beauties--

#68916 - 08/07/06 07:33 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: jjblue]
Lola Offline

Yes, that's what I have been told. They choose you and not the other way around. I am just glad they are all well as they must have found a better match. I'm still brokenhearted though. Never mind, maybe this weekend. Thanks.

#68917 - 08/07/06 08:01 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Lola]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I used to have a Cocker Spaniel named Barney after Barney Fife, one of my x's favorite characters. Then I got Lily, named after a friend I used to have and Daisy got her name so she would coordinate with Lily - The Flower Girls.

You've probably heard me talk about her daisy collar and how everyone knows her at the dog park. The don't know me, when I'm with her, I get NO attention. It's like walking into a room full of men, at the same time as Miss America.

My grandboxers are named Brutus after the Ohio State mascot and Cleo, because Brutus and Cleo are mythical historic people.

laurapoplin.com

#68918 - 08/07/06 10:38 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Bluebird]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Ok, here goes...

Dog-kids...

Amber - 10yr old Aussie. DSD named her because of her Amber tri-color

Bonnie (what else would come next after an "A" name?)

Cocoa (what else would come next after a "B" name?)

Munchie aka Princess Munchkin..well because she looked like a little Munchkin when we got her AND she remains a Princess to this day!

Farmer...only boy. We wanted him to have a masculine name AND he rules the farm!!

For the cat...

Phoebe Snow (because, if you knew my last name in real life, it goes well with it!!)

Edited by Di (08/07/06 10:40 PM)

#68919 - 08/12/06 02:49 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Bluebird]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
You all have such cute names for your pets. I have a toy brown poodle who is about 10 lbs. He was adorable as a baby. His deep brown eyes and color won my over immediately. I had never seen a poodle with brown. I didn't know what to name him so went to the Thesaurus and looked under brown and voila, found his name, "Rembrandt". He usually gets called Remmie, Rem, or B.

Then 7 months later his mom and dad had another liter and we got his brother. A little black poodle with white on his front paws and on his chest. My sister (lives with us) became his mommy. A student in her fourth grade class had brought her a rock from a volcano and it was called obsidian. It was black with white spots on it. So, she called her little dog "Obsidian." He is known as Obbie or Sid.

They are the masters of the house. These guys are now 15 years old. They, so far, are in good health. Thank God. The vets tell us that poodles can live to sometimes 18 years. So we are getting a bit worried.
They are our best friends for sure.

Sandpiper
www.tidedancer.com

#68920 - 08/13/06 10:12 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Sandpiper]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I bet I've had to name 100 dogs or more over the years. When we find lost or strays with no ID, I name them giving them the name I think suits their personalities. We rescued a giany Great Dane and he was black and white so Polka Dot became his name, the last dog we rescued was a huge black nearly 100 pound dog and all he wanted to do was kiss me, so Smoochie became his name. This post is great because I can hear all the love echoed here in the names of your pets. I recently retired from fostering but got a call two nights ago about a box found on the side of the road that contained five new born pups, two were dead and three were not good. After the vet did his magic, I picked them up the following day and now one is on my lap as I write this and the other two are curled up with my Yorkies, Reeta and Rosee. They are all males, scruffy little things and I named them Larry, Curly and Moe....Not very original but the names seem to fit them...Here we go again!!!

Edited by chatty lady (08/13/06 10:16 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#68921 - 08/14/06 12:31 AM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: chatty lady]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Aunt Daisy had a sleep-over for her niece and nephew, AKA Brutus and Cleo, my son's 2 boxers (the family went camping). They were so much fun, although I wouldn't want to have that many dogs all the time. Everywhere I went, there was a 3-dog parade behind me. I was sitting on the commode and this huge boxer face is looking up at me from inbetween my knees! I had to push them out the door to get some privacy! Daisy, being the cultured lady she is, would never do such a thing. Usually she doesn't even follow me around all that much, but did this weekend. She is worn out now!

Chatty, who do ya think you're kidding? You will never turn away a stray dog who needs you.

laurapoplin.com

#68922 - 08/14/06 10:42 AM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Daisygirl]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Those are cute names Chatty. You must be running out of ideas after naming hundreds of dogs.

Here are some European name ideas for your next 20 or so strays. What a heart you have.

Aladin, Amor, Babu, Caeser, Cappuccino, Don-Juan, Espresso, Frankenstein, Fipsy, Fernando, Grappa, Gucci, Goliath, Kasimir, Kuba, Kasbar, Lola, Noah, Napolean, Putzi,
Picasso, Pluto, Rambo, Ringo, Romeo, Santana, Valentino, Wutzi, Waldi, Wuschel

#68923 - 08/14/06 12:06 PM Re: Choosing a name... [Re: Bluebird]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
My son named one of our cats when he was 2. He just started calling her the baby cat. Since we didn't have a name for her that was sticking we went with Baby Girl. Clawdia got her name because she liked to use her claws, too much! There's a story behind Timmy's name but can't share it here and Push, well it just sort of suited him.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved