The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 93 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#68975 - 06/15/06 06:08 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Kentj1020 Offline

I'm sorry, Renee. I thought your previous post on this thread stated that your daughter has been taking her yorkie to the groomer?

There is nothing wrong with bathing or trimming your pet at home. I don't think that is the point that any of my fellow groomers are trying to make. They are not trying to CONVINCE anyone that they should ONLY use a groomer. They are simply stating that the originator of this post was labeling ALL groomers as being irresponsible with drying of pets.

#68976 - 06/15/06 06:35 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Loc: Missouri
Thank you, yes I did groom all of those pets, I am the shop owner and my only employee [Smile] Beau holds a special place in my heart. He was born on the same exact day as my 17 year old son. Very old for a Bichon, he is a sweetie as are most of my clients.

Many people successfully groom their pets at home, and bravo to them!!! In fact several of us became groomers because we also groomed our pets and went from there. I started grooming when I was about 13 and my mother bought a pair of clippers at a garage sale. My mom would take my schnauzer to the groomer and after I had a pattern to go by I kept her groomed. But I also see many people with dogs with very thick hard to work with hair like a chow, they brush and brush but the hair is still matted at skin level, though the owner "thinks" the dog is brushed out because the hair on top doesn't look tangled. I always tell my customers, if you can't part the hair and SEE the skin, it isn't brushed out. Those are the dogs that can easily get skin infections and yes even maggots without the owner even knowing it. A coat like that is best left to the professionals, or come to the groomers lounge and read how to get that undercoat out successfully yourself, your dog will be much cooler, and healthyer. But be prepared to spend a few hundred on professional equipment shampoos, and remoisturisers because that's what it will take. Not a garden hose and a rake.

#68977 - 06/15/06 06:43 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Renee, yes there are bad groomers out there. In fact I've fired a couple in my day. But there are bad EVERYTHING out there nomatter the profession. The thing is, get to know your groomer don't be suspicious of everything, things you don't know about or understand just ask questions. If you don't feel in your gut you can trust your groomer than find another one. When you find the one that makes you feel the most comfortable by all means tip her!!! LOL just kidding, actually a good tip is saing "Thank you, you did a nice job he/she looks terrific!" that's tip enough for me. But anyway you will find that the majority of us are good people who love animals and, yes even those that have part-time jobs driving busses or whatever.

#68978 - 06/15/06 06:44 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Well, all of them are precious. I have a boxer and I had no idea how much they shed. Holy Moly! I have to keep a sheet on the couch (yes, she lives inside and is rotten to the core)...

Anything that can help with her sheding?

JJ

#68979 - 06/15/06 06:49 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

I like the FURminator tool for short coated dogs. One thing though, you can buy them at PetSmart but check the prices I think QVC or ebay has them cheaper. There is also a knock off at Wal-mart called Shedender. I haven't heard much about it but it looks like it would work about the same. Also the FURminator de-shed solution helps as well. I do 2 boxers in my shop that come for furminator treatments and their dad says the same thing "They shed soooo badly!!" I LOVE boxers BTW I had 1 once I was foster puppy training for a specialty dog service and when I had to give him back it about broke my heart. [Frown]

#68980 - 06/15/06 06:56 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I know what you mean. I love her to pieces. She is so sweet and even tempered, unlike ME.

I swear Trixie speaks English. She knows everything I say to her...except, put down my crown. She never listens when I say that...darn her!

JJ

#68981 - 06/15/06 07:03 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

I visited your site jawjaw and LOVED it, very very cute and Trixie is adorable!! I also have an African Grey. I have a Blue and Gold Macaw, and Cockatiel as well.

#68982 - 06/15/06 07:30 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Okay, first my daughter has a new yorkie and my last yorkie which my daughters an mine died two years ago named Margox died of a stroke she was 11 year old . WE bathed her because the vet did not want her to get so upset as she did one time going to the groomers . My dog died in my arms and I miss her to this day. They are like kids . My daughter takes her new yorkie Chibi to a groomer and is a good one .

I don't think Chatty was using a rake for her dogs by all mean and if she wants to use a hose so be it. To each his own. If you go check she said a rake type brush on the dog

That is all I have to saw on the matter

[ June 15, 2006, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Renee ]

#68983 - 06/15/06 07:34 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
JawJaw, Daisy got to play with a boxer at the dog park. They were SO cute! I love dog behavior. They try to look like they are not looking at each other, all the while looking out of the corner of their eye.

Daisy loves boxers and has a niece and nephew boxer - she's Aunt Daisy.

Daisygirl

#68984 - 06/15/06 07:38 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

They are called undercoat rakes, I wasn't referring to a garden rake when I said rake. I knew what she meant. [Smile]

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved