The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 59 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#68985 - 06/15/06 08:24 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Barkus Offline

Loc: Tyler TX
I am also a professional pet stylist and I adore all animals. I would never ever put a animal in a heated cage dryer. FYI all of my cage dryers dry at room air and have safety timers on them, going off at 15 minutes. Check me out at my home web site to see my shop and my outlook on my profession. Not all groomers are bad people, just like, not all people are groomers. I left the medical field to pursue my career in grooming, I am also referred by 5 local vets who feel I am very responsible. As far as Pet Somethings, stand there and watch them? I get more complaints and customers from them than any other place.

#68986 - 06/15/06 08:42 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Thanks for the kudos...we have a couple of members here who have birds and they are all so lovable. Does your African Grey talk? If you look on Trixie's page on my homepage, she featured an African Grey one month. Sammie da Burd ... such a hoot! (no pun intended!)

I keep saying one of these days I'm going to have a bird but for now, no can do. Trixie would think it was a snack I'm afraid!

JJ

#68987 - 06/15/06 08:47 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Loc: Missouri
Oh, I thought Sammy was your bird. Yes I saw it that is why I told you about mine lol. I didn't read much just looked at how perty it all was. I'll have to go back and read it sometime it looks really fun and interesting!

#68988 - 06/15/06 09:09 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Loc: Missouri
Oh, and yes my Grey talks up a storm!! Once we had some work done on our house "new duct work and heat pump" The workers tried and tried to get her to talk and couldn't "she is a little shy around strangers" but then they went in the basement to work and we left the house for a while, when we got back they told me about all the stuff she said when she didn't know they were listening lol.

#68989 - 06/15/06 05:32 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Make sure you go back and read all of the post "Dianne" has on here about her bird, Sammy. They are a hoot! Dianne, anything new with Sammy lately?

JJ

#68990 - 06/16/06 07:36 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh Barkus! I just spent some time on your web page as well! I love all the pictures and your grandchildren are adorable. What are you feeding the would-be Mom's down there? Holy Moly, I've never seen so much hair on a newborn! How beautiful!

The story, The Last Groom had me in tears...Ladies, if you want to read something touching, go here: http://www.homestead.com/witt/LastGroom.html

Thanks for sharing your part of the world with us!

JJ

#68991 - 06/15/06 09:44 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well imagine my surprise to find so many new animal lovers among us this morning. To answer all these groomers now posting (imagine that!) My original post was a warning against a "cage" with a dryer blasting into it and onto our pets, not about people. I have been working one way or another for over 40 years, as part owner of a boarding kennel where we bred, groomed and showed Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers and Old Enghlish Sheep Dogs. Quite a variety, in size especially. I was affiliated with The American School of Dog Grooming in Chicago many years ago. I realize that not all grommers are heartless quacks but if you are honest you will agree that they exist and that the problem has gotten worse with anyone who can afford to open a shop, with little or no training saying they are groomers. I would think that all you reputable groomers would be fighting to have your industry scrutinized rather than trying to have petitions signed against it. Its the incompetent, so called groomers out there that give all groomers a bad name. I know and am friends with many groomers here in Nevada as in Chicago and also in Maryland when living there and they are all a credit to their profession, as I'm sure you groomers that have taken the time to post here must be. I never generalize that all of anything is bad or good. There is bad and good in everything but as an animal owner, lover, foster care giver and activist I have and still see the end results of what a bad groomer can cause. I refuse to argue the finer points of bathing, spayting, neutering and what have you, as I stated "ask your vet." I was the one however that brought the Furminator to the attention of the forum and swear by it. I also use a good lanolin based shampoo to groom my own dogs but use baby shampoo around their faces. Oh and by the way I've groomed numerous Sheep Dogs and dried them with a stationary dryer on the table and a hand dryer and they did just fine. It does take longer but the end results are worth the effort. Since having developed arthritis in my hands I have my dogs groomed by a wonderful woman who comes to my home to do my dogs. I am not against groomers, not at all, I am a groomer or was. I am simply alerting my friends here what to watch out for to safeguard their animals. That is after all the important thing is it not? I'm sure now that you are all here posting you will take on that responsibility and that your expertise will be greatly appreciated. Barkus I just read the Last Groom and am not ashamed to admit I am crying like a baby. I have seen so much pain, fear and death of sweet helpless little creatures that I am quick to defend them and speak out against what I deem might be hurtful to them. My own two 14 year old Maltese angels, Daisy and Twekee had cancer and had to be put down 8 months apart, that was 9 years ago and I still can't think of them without falling apart. I've lost them, a doberman and german shepherd, numerous cats and it never gets any easier. They are all so precious and the fact that they have to suffer in anyway is the one thing that challenges my faith in God at times. Please forgive me if you feel you or your occupations were demeaned. I never meant to be judgemental of all groomers but I still caution against those drying cages, an animal should not be deposited into one (hot or not) and left unattended. By the way, welcome to the BWS forum,I hope you'll stick around.

[ June 15, 2006, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#68992 - 06/15/06 10:10 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
The Last Groom is very sweet. I haven't had a pet in over 20 years and I didn't understand the fuss people made over them. But since the day I first saw my puppy (on the internet) I loved her and now I cannot imagine not having her.
Of course, I will be even happier when she stops biting and peeing on my bedroom rug... [Smile]

#68993 - 06/16/06 12:14 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Jengroomer Offline

Loc: Florida
I am a groomer of 23 years. Just thought I'd post.
I will admit there are groomers out there that should not be in this profession. But, there are MANY, very many groomers that are wonderful.
As far as cage drying. I do own a hang on the cage dryer. IT is only used on room temperature, period. It is reserved ONLY for those dogs that are double coated, that cannot stand on the grooming table being hand dried for long periods. All the rest are hand dried.
My new salon is an open concept, it can be a little loud (barky) but we can see all pets in our care at all time.
I think any kind of cage dryer should be made to blow room temperature air only. That's my opinion.
I think that the 'tone' of the first post here was directed to imply that most groomers are 'bad' and beware of those mobile groomers. What is that?
The sensationalism also bothers me. Baked, Cooked, Fried. That is solely to sensationalize the story. It's sad, so sad, horrible.
It makes me cry to think of a pet dying in any way.
All I can say to those looking for a groomer for their pet is, ASK questions, LOOK at the facility. Feel comfortable with the groomer. If you have reservations about them, don't schedule with them.
Also another note, it was mentioned cages dryers are used so that groomers can overbook and make big bucks. Pet owners keep this in mind when paying grooming fees. Instead of complaining about higher fees, realize that the groomers work hard and WANT to give your pet individual time & care. BUT they must also be paid accordingly. You will likely find the cheaper priced groomers overbooking to make ends meet. (NOT to make the big bucks) and those of us that charge a higher fee than most of our competitors CAN spend the time with each pet and give them personal attention and NOT overbook.
Part of why my fees are higher than my competitors is because I do NOT want to have to overbook just to feed my family. I want everyone, pets, pet owners and myself to feel comfortable, unstressed & happy!

#68994 - 06/16/06 01:35 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sorry Jen but you're going to have to show me the words baked, cooked or fried anywhere in these posts because I can't find them and I know I never used those words. As far as the Mobile groomers go, maybe its just here in Nevada but there have been numerous dogs cut, burned with too hot clippers and dogs eye gouged or cut. Plus the area is not always clean placing your animal in harms way for parasites. Thats what I meant about minding mobile groomers....
Your shop sounds like it should be the poster shop for all grooming establishments and I for one would gladly pay more to have my pet/pets handled as you handle your clients. Can you answer one question? Wouldn't you as a responsible groomer like to see some specifications as to who can and can't groom dogs, some sort of licensing or regulation? If not, why not? Oh, and welcome to BWS!

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved