The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 139 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#72562 - 09/24/03 03:42 PM You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Okay, so I spent a -L o n g- time at the book store yesterday and here is what I came up with for our next read:

You Can Be Happy No Matter What:
Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective
by, Richard Carlson, Ph.D.

This is the guy who wrote Don't Sweat The Small Stuff.

I decided we would alternate between fiction and non-fiction.

Just want to get some feedback before I e-mail the book club women. Please check it out at Amazon. We will only have a month to read it because it is a simple,quick read. We will also discuss it as we go along.

I continue to work on the page for my site that will be for book club members. I hope to meet with my web queen soon. SHe is still on her honeymoon, but when she gets back I have *stuff* ready for her to do.

Also, any thoughts of what you think should go on the book club page?

#72563 - 09/30/03 01:21 AM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
A simple quick read sounds good to me right now. Will begin looking for the book. I like the idea of positng as we go along. I am not feeling very creative latley so I have no suggestions for the weg page. Wish I did. We'll talk soon.

#72564 - 10/09/03 01:06 AM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Dotsie Offline
Founder

One son's at college, one's at work, my daughter is doing homework, and my hubby is taking his little boy at the local orphanage out to Friendly's for dinner. I'm putting off making dinner because my daughter isn't hungry and I can wait too. So why not post about the book club read!

I'm in the middle of reading, let's see, 1,2,3,4 books right now. I'm reading:
-Bearing The Big H, H would be Hysterectomy, written by a friend I met a writer's conference.
-Complete Guide To Internet Publicity
-The Purpose Driven Life (my husband and I are in a book study with this one at our church on Sunday mornings...and
-You Can Be Happy No Matter What.

I think I need a good novel too, don't you? [Wink]

Anyway, the book club read is a good one. I thought I would crank it out in no time, but I've found it takes some much needed reflection.

Beginning with, Circumstances don't make a person. Instead, they reveal him or her! That's on page xiii. Wow, that made me think.

He also mentions that contentment enhances our spiritual life, and I seem to disagree. I think it's just the opposite.

I totally agree with the Introduction when he mentions that we should have a gratitude journal. I began doing this several summers ago. When I began I had a hard time listing things. Now, there's no stopping me! [Big Grin] What occurs when you begin this practice is amazing. You truly begin focusing on your blessings in life and realize EVERYTHING is God's grace!

This book isn't written with a spiritual bent, but if you are looking for it, you can find it.

Just a start!

What do you think?

[ October 08, 2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#72565 - 10/10/03 05:01 PM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Okay ladies, anyone have the book yet?

#72566 - 10/23/03 07:17 AM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Now that I have someone reading with me, how about page xxii where he says,

"New answers don't come from what you already know in the computer part of your brain. They come from a change of heart, from seeing life differently, from the unknown, quieter part of yourself."

Don't know about you gals but I know some people my age who think they have it all going on and have arrived. No need to do self reflection because they are BUSY. Life is FULL and one thing runs right into the other. [Eek!] Whatever works.

I think we can't reflect until we are able to get quiet, hunker down (in my case, it's with the Lord) and then you do get new answers. Things you may have never quite imagined. Fortunately I've had many a change of heart during those times. Still more work to go, but I agree with him on this one!

Any thoughts?

#72567 - 10/22/03 09:36 PM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I will have to agree with you on the part about being quiet and listening to yourself and God.

I have found that the most rewarding changes and answers for me have come when I have stopped COMPLETELY whatever I was doing and .... well .... just listened. To what I am not sure, but I know God's hand was involved in it.

Maybe the quiet time allows your mind to not be overwhelmed by circumstances and helps you to focus (my biggest problem yet) as well as put things in perspective. Just a thought.

#72568 - 10/28/03 04:30 PM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I agree jj. I think our lives are so busy that we just go from one thing to the next, never really taking the time to even think about why we are doing what we are doing. What a frazzled state to live in.

#72569 - 11/01/03 03:18 PM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Garrie, yeah I'm having a tough time getting through this one...truth be known. I'm always reading several books at a time and this isn't the one I keep picking up. It's the one I keep putting off.

It'staught me a lesson...I need to read the books ahead of time before I make them a book for my book club...duh...live and learn! [Wink]

The first book we read, The Saving Graces, I had read ahead of time and when it came time to post I wished I had just read it. When it came time to pick the second book I went to the book store and spent lots of time trying to find a non-fiction read. I had also read DOn't Sweat The Small Stuff and I guess I needed to hear that at the time 'cause I liked it. Oh well!

#72570 - 11/01/03 04:19 PM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie...I have always said I've never met a book I didn't like. Til now. The book is okay, but this book could open the door for some controversial discussions, which I guess in itself is not a bad thing, but I'm more into something entertaining I suppose. I work all day, write all night, and in my spare time I think I'm looking for something to relax me more or less. Am I making sense? Anyhoo...I too am having trouble picking it up and reading it.

#72571 - 11/02/03 11:35 PM Re: You Can Be Happy No Matter What
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
i went to the library to see if i could get this book -- and i couldn't -- without driving into the next town -- but after reading your last few posts -- i have to go with my original "gut feeling"

a book with the title "you can be happy no matter what" just didn't seem to be one that too many of the ladies here in the forum would need to read -- i mean -- heLLLLllooo -- of COURSE you can be happy no matter what [Smile] -- and most of the ladies i know in here have figured that out already [Smile] with all the brillant women in here -- we don't need to read a self-help book -- we just need each other [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

but i do agree with him about the computer part of our brain vs the part connected to the soul --
if we can let go our "intelligence" and allow the soul to flow -- we can find inner peace much easier

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved