The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#74670 - 07/24/05 10:57 PM laptops
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm happy to share that my hubby stepped out and bought me a laptop. So if you see mistakes in my recent posts, or some of them posted 5 times, please know I'm working at getting used to this thing. I'm not crazy about feeling left handed while I use it (why does everything feel backwards?) butI love the convenience it allows. I'm outside on the patio, under the umbrella connecting with all my boomer buds.

I know smile uses a laptop. Anyone else? How long did it take you to get quick at it?

#74671 - 07/25/05 12:20 AM Re: laptops
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
I LOVE my laptop. It has gone everywhere with me in the states and out of the country. I have my printers shared with it and I'm hooked up to wireless so I can go on the patio and use mine as well, or go to the park, or take it in the car. Well, you get the picture.

I just bought a used laserjet printer because I was using so much ink on my inkjet. Printing out instructions and forms for mystery shopping was keeping me buying cartridges every other week! So now I have both my printers shared so if I get an e-mail that comes to my laptop, if I'm on it, and I need to print something out, I can do it on either printer.

#74672 - 07/25/05 12:29 AM Re: laptops
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I have both. I bought a laptop about a year ago. I don't use it much. I don't really like typing on them and I bought a mouse for it. It has the capability for wireless but I haven't gone wireless yet. I use it mostly for photo stuff. It does a great job on that. It has a DVD burner. I've made DVD's from some of our vacation pictures. I like playing with that kind of stuff.
Louisa

#74673 - 07/25/05 02:55 AM Re: laptops
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I do all of my writing on my laptop and take it everywhere with me. I do not use my laptop for anything BUT writing and only sign on to the internet to update programs.

I spend too much time on-line as it is so I limit my laptop to work.

It did take a bit getting used to it since the keyboard is more compact than a standard keyboard.

#74674 - 07/25/05 05:28 AM Re: laptops
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Dotsie, I have used laptops for about 6 years. I have a new one, less than a year old: a Mac iBook G4. It is compact, light, and amazing. I do everything on the laptop: word processing, internet, photos, etc. I take it everywhere. Lots of luck to you, but you will get used to it. LLL

#74675 - 07/25/05 08:07 AM Re: laptops
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dotsie, You're going to love your new laptop. It will give you more freedom. If you go wireless, you can take us with you just about everywhere you go. (Oh boy, is that ever an incentive. We'll really drive you nuts now-- [Smile]

The laptop will become like a part of your body. The only way I could be more attached to mine is if it was an IMPLANT.

Enjoy.
smile

#74676 - 07/25/05 06:00 PM Re: laptops
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smile, it is wireless. I can't wait until we can have wireless connections everywhere in the U.S. It's got to happen before too long. Don't you think? We are going away soon and I already checked. They have the wireless hook up. [Big Grin] Believe it, ot not...Ross bought it for me so I wouldn't have to travel around looking for an internet cafe, library, etc. to connect to my boomer buds while traveling. He's a sweetie!

Sherri, I'm not doing the printer thing yet. For now my kids told me to email my documents so I can print them off my mail computer.

Louisa, I wish I could do all the photo stuff. I'm not that advanced yet.

Jersey, I can't wait to sit outside and write on my laptop. That sounds so creative. So much for the paper and pen.

Lynn, my son's friend has that laptop. It's amazing. My son and a couple of his friends who are really into film making use Macs. So does my web designer. Do you do much design work?

#74677 - 07/25/05 08:12 PM Re: laptops
Jersey Girl Offline

Dotsie - I was always a paper and pen writer and found the transition to writing on computers difficult, however, once I got used to my laptop I now have a problem going back to pen and paper.

Then again it could just be age that has made my handwriting so bad. LOL

#74678 - 07/25/05 10:43 PM Re: laptops
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I too was always a paper and pen person. I still journal for 20 minutes each day the old fashioned way. But everything else I do on my computer, including keeping notes for my book, the rough drafts, etc. I don't know how to do designing but I wish I could. LLL

#74679 - 07/26/05 06:16 PM Re: laptops
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I love my laptop. But for now, it's not connected to the internet. Our main computer is (obviously, lol) but I'd have to take out a 2nd or 3rd mortgage on my home in AZ to pay for any additional internet service. LOL. We do plan on going totally wireless when we return home.

One question ... I do everything on computers and much of what I write stays on the computer. Does anyone ever worry about NOT printing things out? Or do they?

Just thought I'd throw this question out since we're talking laptops.

I even have a usb stick so I can download from the internet and have it for the laptop. Both have been great to have for my trips back to the states.

Blessings, Francine

#74680 - 07/27/05 05:54 AM Re: laptops
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
ALWAYS either back-up on a floppy disk and/or print things out. I had a terrible sysyem crash awhile back and all my manuscripts were lost, gone, fini, never to be seen or heard of again...I was devastated but when I called my computer man he said, "aha, I was afraid of something like that so I put all your stuff on 2 floppy disks." We are talking about two years work here. Now I have the disks and have to put the work back on my coputer. So you see what a problem it can be. I love my laptop and don't use anything else, never have.

[ July 26, 2005, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#74681 - 07/27/05 05:57 PM Re: laptops
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I have trouble typing on a laptop. However, I wrote the first draft of my book on one but have gotten used to my PC.

Question: Can you explain how the wireless works? How do you get it hooked up, etc.

#74682 - 07/27/05 09:01 PM Re: laptops
Jersey Girl Offline

writegirl - I keep two floppy copies for my manuscripts, in addition to my master file on my laptop.

My son bought me a flashdrive and it is wonderful, except the device is so small that I am afraid I will lose it so I have not used it for any manuscripts yet.

I tended to print out more than I needed to, but I feared what Chatty experienced, one crash to wipe out all of my work. Keeping multiple files has eliminated the need for printing.

Dianne - You need a wireless router (unless you are close enough to a neighbor who has one and you can pirate their signal.) I have my desktop PC's hooked into the wireless router via cable so it is a more secure connection. My laptops are used as a true wireless connection.

My laptop did not have a wireless card so I bought an external one that pops in like a floppy. It cost $50.00 and was well worth it.

#74683 - 07/29/05 08:48 PM Re: laptops
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I use my laptop as my main computer. I have a second monitor set up so that I can have 2 screens. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse so that I don't have to worry about typing on the smaller keyboard that the laptop has.

Our house is also wireless, so the laptop can go anywhere. I prefer to work at my desk (I have a rocker for a chair so it's really comfy)

My husband uses a laptop for his main computer as well. He is also wireless and takes it everywhere. I mean... EVERYWHERE. You know how some guys read magazines in the bathroom? Well, my DH takes his computer. Don't ask me how he manages. I've not been brave enough to find out. <GRIN!!>

#74684 - 07/31/05 08:33 PM Re: laptops
Jersey Girl Offline

Vicki, LOL, your husband really takes his laptop into the bathroom?

#74685 - 08/07/05 05:46 AM Re: laptops
Sherri Offline

I have all of my writing saved on a flash stick. That way I can carry it anywhere I go and transfer back and forth between my two computers.

Sherri

#74686 - 08/08/05 01:18 AM Re: laptops
Terri Offline

Loc: Cedar Key, Florida
I got a new laptop this past Christmas...a wireless one...and I just love it. I'm not as fond of the keyboard though....not like my PC. BUT I do love being able to travel and take my laptop everywhere.
I also am not very computer savvy...still learning.
What's a UPS Stick? Never heard of that. I tried transferring a file of my writing from my PC to my laptop. Is this possible to do? Or am I just not doing something right?
Also....WHAT is the best way to transfer a file from PC to Laptop? When I'm traveling I'd love to have my current manuscript in my laptop also or sitting on my patio, so I could work on it. I know I can do it with a floppy...just wondering if I'm missing something, and there's another way.
Thanks for any assistance.

#74687 - 08/08/05 02:04 AM Re: laptops
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I guess laptops can be updated? I have one but only want to use it for writing, not interneting (or I won't get any writing done) Any one know what I need to do?
chick

#74688 - 08/08/05 02:21 AM Re: laptops
Sherri Offline

A flash stick is a memory device you can plug into a USB port on both your laptop and your PC,

I have all my writing on one and I jusdt bought another one to put my pictures on.

It shows up on whatevery computer you're using as an external D drive.

Sherri

#74689 - 08/08/05 06:03 PM Re: laptops
Terri Offline

Loc: Cedar Key, Florida
Hey Sherri....thanks. I'll check out this flash stick. Sounds like what I've been looking for to transfer my writing into my laptop.

#74690 - 08/15/05 08:42 PM Re: laptops
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Update on the lap top. I took it on vacation but the house we stayed in didn't have internet access. SO instead of paying $10.00 and hour to be online at the local computer joint I only paid $5.00 becasue I had my onw lap top. When is the world going to have wireless connection? Can someone get busy with that? [Razz]

#74691 - 07/28/06 07:27 AM Re: laptops
JaMaPh Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
I just got a laptop. I know this is an old conversation, but my laptop is new to me and it's hard to get accustomed too.
It's wireless and has a bunch of bells and whistles, but it's like my cell phone. Cumbersome, heavy and another tool to do what??? WORK.
We got a baby mouse, but can't find it. Got another keyboard too, and it works well.
It will take time I guess...

JaMa

#74692 - 03/13/07 04:58 PM Re: laptops [Re: JaMaPh]
chickadee Offline

It's time to buy a new computer. I'm thinking wireless laptop. Before I hit the stores and listen to hours or jargin and nod yes to every mouthfull of blubber that I don't understand, I thought I'd get an idea from some of you.

What laptop are you using and are you happy with it? What would you suggest? I'd like to have something that is personal but would like to have enough memory(?) if I start a small business. If that makes sense...

I am hoping they don't recognize me as a total dumbknuck when they see me coming.

Thanks in advance.

chick

#74693 - 03/13/07 07:00 PM Re: laptops [Re: chickadee]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Chick: I have a Sony VAIO and an HP Compaq. I'm quite happy with the performance of both although the HP is lighter. Screen size, weight, battery life are par but I find USB ports on the Sony comes ahead. I think Dell builds according to specs. All you have to do is tell them what your needs are. I think its easy to upgrade memory as well that way should you need to in the future for business purposes. Have you tried them?

#74694 - 03/13/07 09:44 PM Re: laptops [Re: Lola]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I have a compaq hp. Its great and it goes everywhere I go while I am working. Light enough to carry even when I am wearing heels.

The macs, tho, are lighter and those that I know that own one, really love it.

And don't worry about memory. Even the crappiest, cheapest computer out there has more memory than you could ever use.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#74695 - 03/13/07 10:10 PM Re: laptops [Re: Anno]
yonuh Offline

After years of having a Toshiba laptop, I bought a MacBook when the last Microsoft updates messed up my Toshiba. That was the straw that broke the camel's back - I've had it with Microsoft. It has been tough trying to rethink how I do things as Macs are a little different. But now that I've had it a couple of weeks, I don't know how I ever put up with Microsoft.

Apples are a little pricier, but my SO has had Apples for the last 6 or 7 years, and his has always outperformed my PC. So, I am now an Apple convert, and very happy. I bought a program called Parallels, so I can still run Windows and Windows programs that don't have an Apple counterpart (my laptop is one of the new Intel chip ones,) but most everything I need has a Mac version.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#74696 - 03/13/07 10:10 PM Re: laptops [Re: Anno]
Jane_Carroll Offline

I have a HP Pavillion dv6000...got it in November...no complaints...

I got it at Staples...the young man who waited on me was excellent...I would have gone for too much memory and stuff just because I didn't know what I needed...he sold me a less expesive model and said I could upgrade the memory if I ever needed to.

#74697 - 03/14/07 07:27 AM Re: laptops [Re: Jane_Carroll]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
We don't have a laptop but are thinking of getting a
Vaio; we love Sony!! We do make good use of our two
desktops at home.
Cindy

#74698 - 03/14/07 04:56 PM Re: laptops [Re: diamond50]
chickadee Offline

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to go shopping in the next few days. I'll keep you posted. I tried staples online Jane but couldn't find the Hp you mentioned. Maybe when I go to Alabama I will check it out. I am afraid of trying an Apple.

chick

#74699 - 03/14/07 10:40 PM Re: laptops [Re: chickadee]
Anno Offline

Afraid to try an apple? You think the Queen has poisoned it? JJ would never do that!

#74700 - 03/14/07 10:41 PM Re: laptops [Re: Anno]
Anno Offline

Would she?

Naw . . .

#74701 - 03/15/07 12:20 AM Re: laptops [Re: Anno]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Chick,

When are you coming?

#74702 - 03/15/07 02:43 PM Re: laptops [Re: Jane_Carroll]
chickadee Offline

Jane, soon. Maybe the end of the month.

chick

#74703 - 03/18/07 02:04 PM Re: laptops [Re: Anno]
ElevatingYourBusiness Offline

Loc: USA
I have a Dell. I've had the service guy here, twice in one year. He changed major parts.

I highly recommend getting a service agreement on a laptop. It cost me $100 per year, but I've already gone over that allotment and the guy comes to my home to fix my puter.

We help independent and fee-based financial advisors find simpler ways to grow personally and professionally.

http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

#74704 - 03/18/07 09:57 PM Re: laptops [Re: Anno]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Although we don't have a cellphone..we can be a tad technology oriented in other ways.

At home, we have 2 desktop computers since each my partner and I merged 2 households. Besides he spends lots of time on his computer for his volunteer cycling advocacy work, and I need mine for my stuff.

We also have a laptop computer which he tends to use heavily..when he /we go on cycling/vacation trips. I use it when I want..which is rare because I have my desktop. While on cycling trips/other vacation trips, he uses it to download digital photos and to email with me if he is cycling solo on the road. It is also a means for us to do something if either of us get bored with tv in the hotel in evenings. Usually in small towns, there's nothing to do locally after dinner.

For various employers, I've been given the choice of either laptop or desktop. I will choose desktop anytime for ergonomic reasons as my permanent at work machine. My work involves at least 80% time using a computer to do various aspects of job. I don't find laptops comfortable at all.

Will of course use laptop for group training sessions which I have provided over the last 10 years. I do insist on a mouse, not a touch pad, when I do group instruction within interactive computer training session.

#74705 - 03/20/07 03:27 AM Re: laptops [Re: orchid]
chickadee Offline

What about the new program called Vista? The local news was saying windows new business system has many unhappy users. Vista pc - no older games are compatable, more costly upgrades, etc. Says to wait and buy a computer later when some of these bugs get worked out. Anyone using Vista?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved