The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#76686 - 08/13/05 09:16 PM Boomer Sisters
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hi -- it's me with yet another question for the research I'm doing (yes, it just keeps going and going...)

Many of you use the term Boomer Sister. Can you tell me what that means? How would you describe a boomer sister? Is she any different from anyone else you know? Is there something particular about the women on this site that distinguishes them from others? Please think about it and give me details! thanks! If you want, you can PM me with this.

#76687 - 08/14/05 03:52 AM Re: Boomer Sisters
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
DJ,

I think the term Boomer Sister implies something shared. Sisters are unique in that they have a shared experience. We all were born within a certain time frame, so, therefore, share common experiences from our life times even though we didn't find each other till now.

Sisters typically belong to a family. We all belong to the baby boomer family. Plus, women sharing experiences, dreams, joys, prayers, etc become sisters through all of this.

So, do I think there is something particular about the women on this site that distinguishes them from others? Yes, I do. We come together to get advice from those who understand where we have come from, what we are up against(they may be there or already have been there) and can help us through trying times. They also "give a dam" if you are hurting or have joy to share. That makes us sisters, boomer sisters and sisters of the human race of women.

My opinion of the term. That's what it means to me. good luck with the research. Hope it helps. Let us know if you get enough feedback.

Sandpiper

#76688 - 08/14/05 09:02 PM Re: Boomer Sisters
DJ Offline

thanks Sandpiper.

Clearly, just as not everyone is your sister, not every baby boomer woman is attracted to this particular site. Agreed? So what is there unique about this site?

As Sandpiper says, "we didn't find each other till now." We all have known women our own age all our lives.

So what exactly is it that you've found on this site? I'm really trying to pinpoint this.

#76689 - 08/14/05 09:45 PM Re: Boomer Sisters
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
DJ,

There are different types of women out there. Some are more nurturing than others, some more athletic,or content to spend time completely within their family sphere.

I think what makes this site special and calls to a particular type of woman is what I see everytime I log on here. It is the feeling that these women deeply care whether you are in trouble or need help with an issue in your lives. This site has many different threads and responds to the various needs we all have.

I just finished visiting another site from a post on one of the threads here. Older Wiser Women, while this is a good site, it does not hold the same attraction for me as this site does.

This site calls to those people with empathy, those with a nurturing aspect to their personality, those that believe in the power of prayer, women who believe that women need other women to help them work through sad,trying times in their lives as well as celebrate their joys, humor, and understanding how you feel growing older and what it means for you. A willingness to uphold each other through all of this creates a sisterhood and makes you feel like you've found another family.

So, I guess it would be that this site attracts those women of like minds, hearts and humor. Not all women would fit here, you are correct. But I think that is what makes this site unique.

Hope that helps clarify for you DJ.
Sandpiper

#76690 - 08/15/05 02:00 AM Re: Boomer Sisters
DJ Offline

Thanks again Sandpiper. Anyone else have a thought on this?

#76691 - 08/15/05 02:35 AM Re: Boomer Sisters
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sandpiper, thanks for hitting the nail on the head. This is exactly what I hoped would happen. My dream was for women to encourage, connect and support one another in all of life. By the grace of God, and the empathy of women who reach out and care for one another...this continues to happen.

I believe the majority of women who settle here have tremedous hearts. We thrive on loving one another.

Everyone needs to feel appreciated, respected, and encouraged. Unfortunately, not everyone receives this in day to day life. My prayer is that we receive it when we are here. A little kindness goes a long way. I also pray we feel better when we log off BWS.

#76692 - 08/15/05 04:01 AM Re: Boomer Sisters
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
DJ, As you follow our posts back to the origin, often it seems that we come with a need. Maybe we are hurt or angry and need advice or maybe we're lonely and need to reach out. Some of us are suffering loss and need prayer. Others are simply bored and want to share a laugh. No matter what the need, each of us seems to come needing to share something too deep for the real world.

Once we are accepted and our need is met, we begin to share the cares of others and we have a connection then we return time after time to reconnect. We may go days or even months without needing or having time for posting, but eventually we all come back to reconnect.

Perhaps those who happen by without posting do not yet have a need to share. Or maybe they post once or twice and their need is met so they go their way stronger or perhaps embarrassed nto to be able to take the advice offered. But whatever direction they take, they know we are here if they need or just want to share.

This site is what we make it and with Dotsie's help we've made it a nurturing place where women are encouraged to find the best in themselves and share it with the world.
smile

#76693 - 08/15/05 05:05 AM Re: Boomer Sisters
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I've been letting this question of "Boomer Sister" sit in my being for the past couple of days, trying to articulate what it is that my heart and soul find here. I still haven't come up with anything more profound to add to what Sandpiper and Smile have already said so well.

All I know is that this place, these women are NESTLED, here in the depths of my being. They are a part of me, their names are etched on my heart. I don't go anywhere without them tagging along in my heart and mind and prayer.

Throughout these past two weeks of being "incomunicado", your names were constantly coming to my mind, and I was constantly and EAGERLY WANTING to pray for each of you, hoping you were all staying safe and healthy. My heart could not contain the care that I felt for my sisters here. Even from that distance and not being able to physically connect to this site, I was still emotionally connected to my sisters...to JJ, Chick, Smile, Dotsie, Chatty, Lionspaaw, Lynn, Pam, and oh so many more! All of your names crossed my mind throughout my days away from here. I've NEVER felt that level of connection before. I don't understand it, or why in all my years of belonging to prayer groups and choirs and various other groups, I never felt this depth of kinship or connection.

The profound loneliness that drove me to search until I stumbled into this site is gone. I can't explain that. Loneliness has been my middle name for as long as I can remember. But even in Quebec, unable to connect, I didn't feel that familiar old loneliness, because I KNEW I had all of you, my sisters, waiting here for me when I got back. What a gift. What an indescribably wonderful gift!

What can I call someone who brings such immeasurable joy and serenity to my life? Friends, yes. But I have a few good friends in my life. And they are irreplaceable. But you are somehow so much more than just friends. I've never had a sister. But always wondered what my life would be like if I had a sister. Being here has given me an inkling of what it might have been like. "Sister" has become the only name that articulates (for me) the profound connection I feel here with so many of you.

"Safe Place" and "Home" also come to mind.

[ August 14, 2005, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#76694 - 08/16/05 04:46 PM Re: Boomer Sisters
DJ Offline

Thanks, Eagle, Very heartfelt description.

So, what I'm hearing from the 3 of you (Dotsie doesn't count-- sorry, hon!) is that this site attracts women who need help and give help, and do so in a caring way.

Sandpiper mentions there's a similar mind and humor -- what can anyone tell me about the kind of humor or the kind of mind that you find here? how is it different from other groups of women you know?

[ August 16, 2005, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: DJ ]

#76695 - 08/16/05 05:53 PM Re: Boomer Sisters
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
I think what makes these "relationships" unique is the unfettered nature of the communication. Among some of the "vets" there is a no holds barred response to things, but it is tempered w/ love and empathy. The humor is unique in that we laugh at ourselves and with each other, not at anyone! I'm always amazed at the ability to put our own foibles out there for millions to read and the cyber laughter that bubbles along the ethernet! The coffee clatch from afar, yet in my mind I hear the giggles and guffaws as we share our stories, I imagine the box of kleenex making the rounds of a warm, cozy room full of overstuffed furniture and the smell of herb tea as we share tears and sorrows. And mostly, this is a safe place, this is a place where those of us w/ intimacy issues, who might never have these unfettered conversations face to face, will share things that need sharing, will ask for help when normally we wouldn't, will reach out and interact w/ love and find comfort in at last, common ground.

I'm so very grateful, that even in my prodigal times, that these woman, these sisters, are here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved