The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 158 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#76696 - 08/17/05 01:28 AM Re: Boomer Sisters
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
I think I have a slightly different (although not altogether) viewpoint here, DJ. I'll see if I can articulate it. I came across this site as a writer who has strong ties with "sisters" in my own spiritual community and in a community of old friends. I'm on other writers' lists but there is not the comaraderie there as on this site. It wasn't until after I first posted that I realized that this was, in many ways, a Christian site and given that I'm Wiccan, that could have been very uncomfortable--even unworkable. I still do feel that I need to tread carefully; I'm sure some women are as uncomfortable with my spirituality as I might be with theirs. But what keeps me coming back? The sharing, caring and openness and definitely the sense of sisterhood that comes across. That's something I think we have in common. And, I'll admit, I'm one of those people who always wants to hear both sides of things and am curious about people who think or live differently than I do. It's often difficult to get past those differences to learn about each other. This is one of those places where I think it just might be possible.

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published May 2004 by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com

#76697 - 08/17/05 03:54 AM Re: Boomer Sisters
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Very well put Dahti...

DJ, the word your searching for to describe this place, and the feelings within is:

Unconditional

JJ

#76698 - 08/17/05 04:09 AM Re: Boomer Sisters
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Ladies you've all said what I would have said - ONLY BETTER! JJ's word "unconditional" applies to every aspect of participation here in Dotsie's wonderful forum....I love "coming home" here every day to see what my fellow sisters are up to.

#76699 - 08/17/05 04:42 PM Re: Boomer Sisters
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Dahti,
Funny, but I never thought of this as a "christian" site...but I guess from the perspective of people of other beliefs, it could certainly appear that way. There do seem to be many women of strong faith here...but I believe that our belief structure/tradition/culture is just one facet of our total person. I can understand your caution, but I hope you feel welcome here.....life is a journey where we accumulate knowledge and experience. I feel that I should be sure to greet each person and each experience as though they/it has something to teach me. I embrace the diversity of the women here and am glad you are among us.

Kathryn

#76700 - 08/17/05 09:19 PM Re: Boomer Sisters
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
Thanks Kathryn. That's what is so great about this group of women--I do feel welcome here. Though my beliefs are different than most here (Pattyann being the exception) and I suspect my political leanings are different than many also, there are many, many things I think we all have in common. This may sound a bit lofty, but the one thing I've always thought could truly change the world is when people of different backgrounds, beliefs and cultures really share with each other and listen to what the others have to say without dismissing them because they are different. Unfortunately I think that's a rare thing so it's nice to feel there's a bit of that here.

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published May 2004 by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com

#76701 - 08/17/05 10:39 PM Re: Boomer Sisters
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Dahti, I want to echo Kathryn's message. I too have a very strong faith, and it happens to be Christian-based, but I fervently believe in - and try to foster, nurture and uphold - our unity in diversity. My faith has been made stronger by embracing, listening, exploring and incorporating into my own spirituality the various pieces of wisdom and insight that have come from other people I've met along my journey.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, that peace on earth will only come about when people of different backgrounds, beliefs and cultures really share with each other and listen to what the others have to say without dismissing them because they are different.

It is my hope that we are learning and living that peace here in this site, that our connections with each other will continue to heal us and teach us how to unconditionally embrace and be enriched by the unique gift and wisdom each woman who stumbles into BWS brings to the banquet table of our lives.

[ August 17, 2005, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#76702 - 08/17/05 11:41 PM Re: Boomer Sisters
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
Yes,
Dahti, we are in the minority recognizing a feminine force as the goddess and in a way I felt that treading lightly here was called for. But there is sisterhood here-we are all a part of a whole- a generation of women who grew up with endless possibilities.
Some of us here are homemakers, some have vocations, some merely jobs to pay the pipers but we all laugh and cry and worry and dream and this is a place to share this with reverance for others' beliefs and understanding that we may not agree but we can always honor the women we are

#76703 - 08/19/05 02:46 AM Re: Boomer Sisters
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
For me 'Boomer Sisters' means an understanding of what it means to have been born in a time of innocense and are now living in a time far removed from then. We have become our mother's and our grandmother's and we don't understand a lot of what is going on in our world today. We came from a simplier time...when being gay meant happy, when we could sleep with our doors unlocked and we could play a block or two away after dark (as long as we were within shouting distance of our parents) and not worry about being snatched or abused. We live in a time that sometimes doesn't make sense to use and we reach out to others who might be going through the same things. It's comforting to know that there are women around my age who has/is/will go through the things I did/have/will go through and can come here for advice/comfort/awareness and love. JJ you are right when you said 'unconditional.' The unconditional acceptance we find here...find with our boomer sisters, is unlike any other site I've visited...in fact, for me, there is no other. This is my one and only site I come to for advice and support and to share my day. You are my sisters in a time that sometimes doesn't make sense...I know I will always find a warm place to fall and it gives me an opportunity to give in return that which is given to me. Thanks you Dotsie for this wonderful site.

#76704 - 08/21/05 07:31 AM Re: Boomer Sisters
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
There's something else that I find really interesting. This is a website, but many of you refer to it as an actual place. Do you have pictures in your mind about what this "place" looks like, as you type here?

#76705 - 08/20/05 08:47 PM Re: Boomer Sisters
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dee, your comments really speak to me this morning. Last night was my MIL's memorial service. During her service we reflected upon how life changed during her lifetime. Your words are a reflection of how times have changed in our lifetime which is more than enough. I can't imagine how our parent's generation must feel.

[ August 20, 2005, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved