The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 119 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#77005 - 11/14/05 01:10 AM Should I go?
ladybug Offline

My mom called this morning from Florida saying, Joe (my brother) is driving down here after Thanksgiving why don't you come too and then fly home a week later. (He stays for the holidays). I was reluctant to answer. I've never left my family for any reason and I felt a little selfish when part of me inside said go, you know you want to, it's warm and sunny and you feel so cold and jittery. I ran it past my son Rob first who said, go mom, why are you so worried about us, geez we'll live, what do you think is going to happen do you think we'll starve or ruin the house? My mom too said, "what is it with you, other women leave their families, this is something normal people do." But it comes down to me worrying about my husband taking his meds, will Benny my cat be okay, will Vicky be able to put her hair up in the snood for work, on and on and on. Vicky says go too and hubby thinks it's okay but I'm not sure I'm reading his answer clearly. After knowing this man for almost 34 years I can predict how he'll react to anything. Should I go ladies? I think I want to but I feel so guilty thinking I'm abandoning my family.

#77006 - 11/14/05 01:40 AM Re: Should I go?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I would go...but then again, I would go anywhere alone right about now, given the opportunity!!!

#77007 - 11/14/05 01:42 AM Re: Should I go?
Bluebird Offline

Seriously, you don't have small children to worry about so if they're all saying go, you should! It will probably do you a world of good. If anyone complains about it afterward, you just remind them that they said you should.

#77008 - 11/14/05 01:43 AM Re: Should I go?
Bluebird Offline

okay, I did NOT mean to rhyme every sentence like that...I think I should shut up now!

#77009 - 11/14/05 01:44 AM Re: Should I go?
Bluebird Offline

One more thing, then I'll shut up...what the heck is a snood??? [Big Grin] Sounds like something from a Dr. Seuss book!

#77010 - 11/14/05 03:27 AM Re: Should I go?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Ladybug definitely GO....but why not bake a nice turkey breast before leaving and some sweet potatoes etc. Cover them in the frig and tell Vicki and hubby how to reheat everything. This way they'll have their holiday meal together and you don't have to feel like you deserted them? Hey works for me... [Wink] Then go and enjoy yourself.

#77011 - 11/14/05 04:48 AM Re: Should I go?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I say go and enjoy the well-deserved break and time with your Mom and brother. It will do you good, and make your family appreciate you even more!

#77012 - 11/14/05 05:26 AM Re: Should I go?
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
I think you should go. I probably would. You've had a rough year, and a break would probably be the best thing in the world for you

#77013 - 11/14/05 06:19 AM Re: Should I go?
ladybug Offline

Thanks everyone. While my son and I took our evening walk he convinced me to go. Actually Chatty I'd be leaving the day after Thanksgiving because I could definetely not leave my family. I haven't seen my mom (she's 79) and my dad (he's 89) since September of 2004. I think it probably would do me good. I've been rough around the edges for a long time now. Couldn't all of you tell??
Bluebird, a snood is worn over a bun. Her hair is down to her waist and very thick so it's a chore winding it around, pinning it and then covering it with the snood.
My mom will not believe I'm coming because she's been asking me to do this for years now and I'd never leave my family. Bluebird, I wish I could take you with me, I think you need it too.

#77014 - 11/16/05 09:37 AM Re: Should I go?
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
hooray for you, ladybug! you will be so glad you went. i live a state away from my family and have made MANY road trips there by myself. i will NEVER regret going.

in the last few years, my dad began losing his health big time and i made many hurried trips there when he was ill. my husband and sons were always very supportive so that made it easier.

dad died last year and i have no regrets regarding time spent with him. i know that i spent as much time as i possibly could have with him so have great peace about that.

i also never wanted my siblings to feel that i wasn't doing my fair share in caring for parents. that area, too, leaves me with no regrets.

you will come home a more fulfilled woman for having spent the time with your 'first family' and your children will see the example you set in what you give of yourself to your aging parents.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved