The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#77180 - 01/21/06 07:54 PM Mama's Fishbowl
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Here is the link to Pamela Kink Cable's story:

http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/stories/mrsbrown-fishbowl.html

Please take time to read this story, especially if you live a life that's very different than your mom's.

#77181 - 01/21/06 10:30 PM Re: Mama's Fishbowl
ladybug Offline

Dotsie, my mom's life was more like the younger woman's and my life was more like the younger woman's mother.

We had role reversal. She's always telling me her troubles and expounding on how much better my life is than hers was. Even with the stroke my husband had almost a year ago, I realize she is right. There will always be minor set backs and disappointments, boring or sad days, but nothing like her experiences. Many of the bad things she experienced were the result of her own poor choices. I think she has never allowed herself to acknowledge that fact.

[ January 21, 2006, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#77182 - 01/22/06 02:47 AM Re: Mama's Fishbowl
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Interesting Dotsie and I doubt my life could be any more different than what my Mothers was. Actually she had the better of the two I think in many ways, especially the first 50 years of her life. She is 85 now.

[ January 22, 2006, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#77183 - 01/22/06 09:32 PM Re: Mama's Fishbowl
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, curious to know why you think her first fifty years were better. Mind sharing?

#77184 - 01/23/06 04:02 AM Re: Mama's Fishbowl
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Don't get me wrong she had tough times too at fist when married but was surrounded by family and never alone or afraid because everyone lived in the same building for many years, her parents, sisters and their familys. Then when buying a home she was in a neighborhood where everyone knew each other, watched after each others kids, doors didn't need to be locked, thing like murder, serial killers, kidnappings didn't happen to you or the people you knew and didn't happen so frequently either. People respected their leaders and government and had high work ethics and standards. It was all just better in those many ways. She got divorced at the urging of us kids, after years of being the dutiful wife and mother. She remarried her true love and they had a wonderful, almost magical love affair. Working together daily, traveling, just spending every waking moment together and loving it. My step-father passed away after 20 years with mom and her life just seemed to stand still. Her parents were both dead, her sibblings were scattered about, she moved to an apartment and seems to just exist day after day. She works, comes home where she feeds and visits with my epileptic brother and although she has numerous friends and is so well loved and respected even today, I truly believe that when she buried my step-dad, her one true love and apparent soulmate, she buried a part of herself as well. Her heart!!!

#77185 - 01/23/06 01:22 PM Re: Mama's Fishbowl
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Chatty, that's a very touching story. It would be nice if everyone could follow their heart the way your mother did.

#77186 - 01/25/06 08:28 AM Re: Mama's Fishbowl
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, I love the description of her neighborhood. I think they may still exist today, but you have to go searching.

Has your mom spent her life devoted to her son? That always amazes me.

We have a group home in our neighborhood for adults who can't quite make it on their own. I think it's a great idea.

#77187 - 01/25/06 02:09 AM Re: Mama's Fishbowl
chatty lady Offline
Writer

My brother had a job working for an elderly greek gentleman for 10 years, he stocked shelves in this mans tobacco and candy shop. His boss knew of his cvondition and was okay with it. My brother had a small apartment and was able to take care of himdself although Mother always went there, left food and checked on him. I would clean his house and do his laundry back then for him. He mnet and married a nioce woman with an adorable little boy. She was a waitress that had been abused by her ex in another state and was working and hiding from him in Indiana. After several years she met some guy and they ran off together breaking my brothers heart. His seizures got worse not long after when his boss old Mike died and the store closed. My brother tried and tried but was unable to find work and get it together so he moved into moms house and has been wih her ever since. He is the only son and has a special place in her heart having been ill all of his life.. Someone once said, my mother stays alive because she worries about leaving my brother alone...?

#77188 - 02/02/06 06:55 PM Re: Mama's Fishbowl
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Fishbowl... Inspiring story.
Great neighborhood, Chatty! Sweet story of your dear mom!

My mom's description of a town just a half hour away from where I currently live, is very similar to your mom's neighborhood: Late 50's- early 60's, there were only or mostly christians living there. No crimes, people lived without the constant reminder of violence, etc. Windows and doors unlocked day and night... She visited her brother who was studying at AUC. That's where she met dad!

Although today, it is still a very good place to live, nobody leaves doors unlocked anymore!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved