The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#77229 - 05/10/06 04:06 PM menopause stories
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
After waking up soaked one night this week, I decided to read some of the menopause stories in the Our Voices section here at BWS.

Have you read one of the latest additions, For Everything There is a Season, by Mary V. Kolar? Here's a link to the story. I think you'll like it.

http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/stories/survive-season.html

#77230 - 05/10/06 09:26 PM Re: menopause stories
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Great story Dotsie! Thanks for pointing it out!

#77231 - 05/13/06 05:46 AM Re: menopause stories
Pam R. Offline

Very cute Dotsie! My hot flashes are daily and nightly for the past 4 years. Just today, the girls in my office and I went out to lunch. The A/C was on and they were chilled. Of course, at that moment I had one of my worst flashes of the day. I used my napkin to fan me when all of a sudden I spotted 3 girls in about their 30's in the next booth laughing at me! I wanted to tell them to "just wait a decade or so" and I would be laughing since it will be over for me by then! (I hope) No one really knows how debilitating these can be, but yes...they too will pass!

Pam

#77232 - 05/14/06 10:16 PM Re: menopause stories
Still Crowded Offline

Loc: Olympia, WA
I think we need to create menopause fans to keep close by. I'm always grabbing something to fan myself with. I LOVE telling younger women "just you wait" as I'm melting in air conditioned spaces.

#77233 - 05/14/06 10:57 PM Re: menopause stories
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
We could start a menopause fan club.

smile

#77234 - 05/14/06 11:54 PM Re: menopause stories
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
I've been having hot flashes since 2002, brought on by a hysterectomy at 39. I really dread the summer, and it doesn't help living in a very hot and humid place. It gets on my nerves when I am trying to get ready and the make up I just applied comes off because of Niagra Falls on my face.

Another hindrance is this. I am heavier now and well, let's just say I require more clothing to cover up. So now I should dress heavier, and at the same time aggravate the hot flashes even more. Grrrrrrr!

I hate summers in Virginia Beach!

Cathi

#77235 - 05/15/06 06:52 PM Re: menopause stories
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Cathi, I am coming to Virginia Beach in the fall. I hope to meet you.

I take the pill so most of my symptoms are masked. However, last week I was on the placebos and I woke a few nights with hot sweats. I guess that would happen all the time if I wasn't on the pill. EW!

Has anyone bought the Bed Fan that's advertised on BWS home page?

#77236 - 05/20/06 07:32 AM Re: menopause stories
Wisdom&Life Offline

Hi Dotsie,

quote:
Cathi, I am coming to Virginia Beach in the fall. I hope to meet you.
That would be wonderful Dotsie. Are you coming for business or pleasure? I would love to meet you!

I am going to be in MD on Memorial Day weekend. My brother and his wife just had a baby girl, and I cannot wait to see her.

quote:
Has anyone bought the Bed Fan that's advertised on BWS home page?
I will check it out. Has anyone heard of a chillow? Has anyone ever tried one?

Cheers,
Cathi

#77237 - 05/21/06 06:46 PM Re: menopause stories
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Where does your brother live? We are home Memorial weekend. We have a couple graduation parties to attend, but other than that, I'm around.

If I can't catch you while you are here, I will surely let you know when I'm in VA Beach. It's for pleasure. We have two friends who live there. We will be experiencing the empty nest for the first time. Friends who have been there and done that told us we should try to have a little get-a-way to look forward to so we're listening. We'll need all the help we can get.

#77238 - 05/21/06 06:46 PM Re: menopause stories
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Where does your brother live? We are home Memorial weekend. We have a couple graduation parties to attend, but other than that, I'm around.

If I can't catch you while you are here, I will surely let you know when I'm in VA Beach. It's for pleasure. We have two friends who live there. We will be experiencing the empty nest for the first time. Friends who have been there and done that told us we should try to have a little get-a-way to look forward to so we're listening. We'll need all the help we can get.

#77239 - 05/21/06 09:13 PM Re: menopause stories
Wisdom&Life Offline

Hi Dotsie,

My brother lives in Ellicott City. It is such a nice area. I remember the first time I went there he took us to the Old Ellicott City. It was really nice there.

Cheers,
Cathi

#77240 - 05/23/06 07:51 AM Re: menopause stories
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm about a half hour from there. Old Ellicott City is so much fun. I've gone there for a day of window shopping with friends before. We always talk about going back. One of these days...

#77241 - 05/23/06 07:57 AM Re: menopause stories
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Good Lord. After reading all the post I surely do feel like a Queen. Mine have stopped. I'm free at last! Free at last! I don't have hot flashes any more and no mood swings. Do not. DO NOT! YOU CAN'T PROVE IT! Ahem...what?

Seriously, I think I'm over the worst of it.

So, would someone tell us about Ellicott City and OLD Ellicott City? Are these places to visit as tourist? A nice vacation spot? What's the attraction there? I truly want to know.

JJ

#77242 - 05/22/06 08:31 PM Re: menopause stories
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Wow, JawJaw, how great for you!!! I hope you're right and it lasts! I, however, am just beginning ...

#77243 - 05/23/06 03:21 AM Re: menopause stories
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:
We could start a menopause fan club.

smile

I'm with you there smile [Smile]

Jawjaw.... just curious....how long did you have all the symptoms for?

I started the sweats just after the hysterectomy only 5 months ago......am I going to have years and years of this, I'm SICK of it already!

[ May 22, 2006, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: flossie ]

#77244 - 05/23/06 10:27 PM Re: menopause stories
Dotsie Offline
Founder

If you like antiques and funky collectibles, you would love Ellicott City. It's definitely a tourist spot. If you're visiting Baltimooe and like antiques, it's one of the many places you should visit.

As far as night sweats go...I just got my jammies in the mail from Kathy at Rick and June. Visit the link on her site to learn more.

Kathy, since I am on the pill I only have night sweats on the weeks I take the placebos. I'll let you know how they work. Thanks so much!

#77245 - 05/23/06 10:43 PM Re: menopause stories
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

This definitely sounds like my kind of place. I suppose one would need money to shop there...hmmm...that might be a prob...

Flossie, as best as I can tell, I had menopause for the past 10 years. I had a hystrectomy in the 80, but get this...didn't have the first flash until 10 years ago...when it hit though...whoa Nellie!

JJ

#77246 - 05/24/06 01:30 AM Re: menopause stories
flossie Offline

Oh dear, sounds like I have a long haul ahead of me!!

I've started with the progesterone cream as the next experiment to see if that helps, although it can take several months for the hormones to kick in.

#77247 - 05/24/06 03:04 AM Re: menopause stories
chickadee Offline

I think ANY sugar brings on my hot flashes/night sweats. I gave up chocolate, my only form of sugar, and the flashes/sweats went away. I was drinking soy milk and taking evening primrose oil. I was fine until i bought chocolate soy milk. Maybe its chocolate but I think sugar reacts with our bodies and we sweat the sweet stuff, so to speak. Of course, I think I am going to be the one to find the actual cause of sweats/flashes, ha ha. I am a stop at nothing researcher when I can't find answers to what I want to know. Heck, I am still researching/interviewing Pill Bull owners because of my intense curiousity about them. [Confused]
chick

[ May 23, 2006, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#77248 - 05/24/06 05:52 PM Re: menopause stories
Val Offline

Loc: Pa.
Flossie, I hope you don't mind my jumping in here. I use natural progesterone cream that is compounded by a compounding pharmacist. It has taken most all of my symptoms away including hot flashes and night sweats. Are you using it from a jar or is it a script with measured doses? Chickadee...I agree sugar is a culprit for many of our ails. I try to use stevia whenever possible.

#77249 - 05/25/06 01:21 AM Re: menopause stories
flossie Offline

Val, I'm using Serenity it came direct to me from Florida. It was created by Dr John Lee who has written many books on hormones and womens health.

How long after you started using the cream did you notice any improvment? I did have a wonderful sleep last night, woke up just once, hot but certainly not the huge sweats I had been having. Slept through the alarm too!

#77250 - 05/25/06 05:51 PM Re: menopause stories
Dotsie Offline
Founder

There's mention of Dr. John Lee again. Many women in our BWS neighborhood swear by his information.

#77251 - 05/26/06 12:52 AM Re: menopause stories
flossie Offline

I'm reading one of his books at the moment, very interesting and scary too!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved