The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#81654 - 05/03/06 12:44 AM walking challenge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladies,

Please read below to learn why this forum was started. Then put on those sneakers and get outside!

Hey boomers, after the Oprah show yesterday I made a formal committment to myself and to yall that I would walk 30 minutes everyday..everyday.
And i did this morning.

What i'd like to propose here is an on-going thread for those who are, well, walking challenged. (smile) Those of us who have been totally or semi-sedintary for a while that it is hard to do.

Now for the rest of you chipper gals, we'll be looking for you to cheer us on from the side lines. We want to be able to get out there and recite the alphabet backwards and forwards "without breaking a sweat" while fast walking !

So each day I will Check In and give you my time walking and the date...and it wld. be nice to add any thing particular you might have noticed on your walk (what a Plus for doing it!) or something wonderfully insightful or an epiphany you might have had during your 30 minute walk.Please share. If you do this on a treadmill, fine. Just so you walk.

Now, of course, you could lie about it, but what would be the point. A few years back I went thru another transition of getting in shape again...and Not for the health values, oh no! I got to get a Big Pink "x" on my calendar for each day. And before long I was walking 3 miles a day and lost 20 lbs. So whatever works for you.

Ok, so I'll start:

designergrl- May 2, 9:00-9:30. I took this walk and treated as if I was merely checking out the town around me. I kept up a semi-brisk state, but did not rush. And I "kicked out" of my head every negative that came thru and replaced it with good empowering thoughts. It happened to be a cool morning so that helped. And I could smell the honeysuckle and roses here and there. I really enjoyed it !

Next ?

[ May 02, 2006, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: designergrl ]

--------------------
www.designergrl.wordpress.com
www.designergrl.etsy.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bluebird
Member # 809

posted May 02, 2006 12:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning I walked for close to 45 minutes, at a good pace, so I probably went about 1.75 miles. I say all my memorized prayers (rosary, divine mercy chaplet and others) and then I simply talk to God. I've been doing this on and off for a year and a half, so I could go further, if I had more time. I enjoy watching the bluebirds, magpies and other birds. I wave to all the passing cars, runners, bicyclists and barking dogs. I breathe deep, take long strides and swing my arms. I have the mountains to look at, pretty much the whole time. I LOVE it!!!

--------------------
Jackie
Nothing compares to the promise I have in Him
---------------------------------
http://www.myspace.com/westernbluebird
http://www.weberwoodworks.net

chatty lady
Member # 169

posted May 02, 2006 03:10 PM
I had the plumber in very earrrrllllyyyy today, it seems I have a lake under my house. They fixed the leak and I had to get out and clear my head so I went to the pool and walked across it long way, 17 times back aqnd forth. It took about 40 minutes but felt great I also did some water aerobocs with the other two women I met there. It was a semi cloudy morning around 88 degrees and beautiful.

--------------------
If we all did what we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.

National Assoc. of Baby Boomer Women (NABBW)
Henderson Writers Club (HWC)

Editor www.MysticPublishers.com

www.geocities.com/tale2bestseller
www.geocities.com/vegaspaperpusher

Dotsie
Administrator
Member # 1

posted May 02, 2006 03:40 PM
I walked with a friend for three miles last night. We walked and talked our way around our neighborhood. We both have teens so we have lots in common. We laughed a lot at how ridiculous we are because we talk until we're blue in the face to our teens. We did however, mention that all these years of talking may be paying off!

I am going to begin a forum for walkers. I LOVE this idea designergrl. Thanks so much. Look for a walkers forum coming soon.

--------------------
Founder of Boomer Women Speak and the National Association of Baby Boomer Women.
www.nabbw.com
www.boomerwomenspeak.com
Join NABBW today for the reduced rate of $50.00 at this link:
http://www.nabbw.com/joindiscount.php

#81655 - 05/03/06 01:13 AM Re: walking challenge
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Dotsie, you sure do work fast!!

#81656 - 05/03/06 02:09 AM Re: walking challenge
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
How about that?

Now I need to step away from the computer and call someone to walk with me. [Big Grin]

#81657 - 05/03/06 04:01 AM Re: walking challenge
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I think I'm gonna play like I didn't even see this post.........what? ...........Who told?

JJ

#81658 - 05/03/06 07:04 AM Re: walking challenge
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
This is my second week of walking each morning
for 30 minutes : )

#81659 - 05/03/06 08:00 PM Re: walking challenge
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
This morning I was angry with my husband so I used that energy to walk farther!I was out for almost an hour and didn't want to stop!!!
I guess walking isn't my challenge - living with a man...OH YEAH!!!! [Razz]

#81660 - 05/03/06 09:10 PM Re: walking challenge
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I walk my dog every day. And he loves it. He so looks forward to it, that around 5:00 pm each day, he starts asking me to go for a walk. I can't refuse him, he looks so eager and pitiful that I guilt myself into taking him.

Whatever works, right?

I really do look forward to the walk. We live on a deadend street near the end, so I walk to the corner and back. We know most of our neighbors and wave and stop and talk here and there. Jack (my dog) watches for squirrels, cats, birds, and whatever else he can try to chase. I don't let him, but that doesn't stop him from trying.

During this time of the year the Jasmine is in bloom and the whole neighborhood smells wonderful. I love it during orange blossom season too, there's nothig like smelling orange blossoms.

Walking is a nice way to clear your head and re-focus.

Jack and I don't walk far, but we walk every day for about 15 - 20 minutes. It gets us out of the house. Which is a big deal for me because I have anxiety and sometimes have a hard time leaving the house.

Do you know that walking helps build bone density? It's a great thing for us menopausal women when we're losing it more during this time of our lives.

Walk for your health, both mental and physical.

#81661 - 05/04/06 01:57 AM Re: walking challenge
designergrl Offline

Loc: North Texas
Bone density, huh ? Well, I feel like (or rather my Legs feel like ) I should be the Incredible Hulk-ette. [Smile] I actually walked one hour today. After my housemate took me to go get a script refilled, I had her drop me off at this park near my home, well, it was maybe a little over a mile..and muggy today...so if if even the Pope came by ona motorcycle I was too miserable to notice. I just lugged along saying "it's all good...it's all good."

designergrl

p.s. I am glad yall think this is a good idea to do, not just walking but being held (gently) accountable.

#81662 - 05/04/06 05:32 AM Re: walking challenge
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I walked my 30 today! WUHOOO! And now I stink...PEEUUUU!

JJ

#81663 - 05/04/06 07:46 AM Re: walking challenge
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
A Queen stink, I think NOT!!!! I walked the pool again and even tried running for 9 trips across both ways. I actually walked constantly for nearly an hour and the best part is no strain or stress or pain anywhere when done. Got a little color today too....

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved