The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 122 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81727 - 06/24/06 12:33 AM 10,000 steps a day?
KateRyan2012 Offline

Loc: Southeastern US
I bought a pedometer, and it included a pamphlet about walking 10,000 steps a day. I thought, whew--it will take me a while to work up to that! But I put on the pedometer in the morning as I walked around the house and up and down the stairs. I walked around my neighborhood--lots of hills--two times the first day. At the end of the day, I had reached 10,500 steps! I was amazed! So I continued this every day for the past week. Some days seemed harder than others to reach the goal. I swear I thought I would never reach 10,000 yesterday!! I walked and walked and walked--up and down the hills--going all over my neighborhood. I FINALLY reached my goal and came home exhausted, but also exhillerated that I had reached my goal. I am pretty sore all over right now, but I hope it will really make a difference if I keep it up. I also am eating very well right now--small healthy meals and drinking only water. My goal is both weight loss and good health--but right now, weight loss is my top priority. Five pounds down and about 30 to go! I really hope I stick to it this time! I am getting bored with my neighborhood walks, though--may try mall walking or drive to a park with walking trails. I cannot afford a gym membership right now, but maybe one day--I like treadmills and indoor tracks best, but I refuse to wait until I can afford a gym membership to begin losing weight! [Smile] Walking is free, and eating fruits and vegetables and drinking water can be cheap, too!

#81728 - 06/25/06 11:48 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day?
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
You can do it! And you are inspiring me to walk more as well! I tend to walk alot. I walk to church with my son etc. but I will try to walk more.

Keep up the good walk!
Donna

#81729 - 07/08/06 12:23 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: 49erDonna]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What kind of pedometer did you buy? I've been given a couple through the years and they never seem to work. I wouldn't mind having a good one. Any suggestions?

Kate, try driving to different neighborhoods, parking the car, then trucking around new surroundings. It might add a little spice to your life. Plus, don't you just love looking at all the different houses and gardens?

#81730 - 07/08/06 05:00 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day?
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I walked 10 miles today!!! Not bad. Not bad at all. I have been building up to this mark since my operation nine weeks ago. Made it!!! Made it!!! Made it!!!

#81731 - 07/08/06 05:03 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Wow, Lola. I'm impressed. Good for you. Yippee!! Hip,hip,hooray for Lola!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#81732 - 07/09/06 08:38 AM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: yonuh]
Lola Offline

Gosh, Yonuh. My leg muscles moaned and groaned last night but shall be flogging them for the regular 5 mile walk today...not 10...because Wimbledon mens finals will be on at lunch time followed by the World Cup finals. Has the heat eased up a bit in AZ? Stay cool.

#81733 - 07/09/06 12:42 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I've been told you need to clip/wear your pedometer where a belt loop would be located...that it should line up with your knee shin. This is suppose to give you the "correct" reading of one. I'm like you Dotsie, I could never get one to work properly.

JJ

#81734 - 07/09/06 01:56 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Hi, Dotsie and JJ: I use a Hi Gear Scanner Mark II pedometer which also scans distance against calories burnt, timer and speed. I had it set up in the sports shop where I got it from. May be you can do likewise but before then, it might help to measure your steps against distance to get your stride length e.g. 8 steps to 28 feet = 3.5 ft.
Happy walking!!!

#81735 - 07/14/06 05:33 AM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
KateRyan2012 Offline

Loc: Southeastern US
My pedometer is: Go Walking by Sportline--very cheap at Walmart, but seems to be fairly accurate. Ladies, I am here to testify that it really works! I have lost 11 pounds so far! Of course, it goes slower than I would like--I want ALL the fat gone NOW!! It took a while for pounds to begin to disappear--it seems that I went almost a week with little change, then suddenly dropped several pounds.

I got very excited the other day when my most recent sized jeans were too big. I didn't have any one size down--probably what I need for now. I did find some two sizes down in the closet--put them on and actually got them zipped up--BUT they are still WAY too tight! Maybe in another week or two! Even though they were very tight, I still got a thrill wearing them--yes, I ran around my house announcing my excitement about getting into these jeans! My daughter said--Mom ,you're getting skinny! The key word here is "getting"--because I'm not there yet--but I am really motivated to keep going now that I FINALLY see it working!! I can't wait to wear those jeans out in public--without them being too tight!!

So I have maintained a routine of walking 10,000 steps every day--sometimes more. And I am eating small meals of good healthy food. And I drink a LOT of water now--nothing else. And it's working! It's working! I hope I can reach my goal weight by October--my birthday and my personal deadline. I am determined to follow this through to the end, and then continue to maintain my new healthy lifestyle well into the future. I actually enjoy my time walking now--I listen to music and tune out the world--and I get a lot of plans made for my future while I walk. I am getting so excited about my future! What a great feeling!

#81736 - 07/14/06 06:58 AM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: KateRyan2012]
Lola Offline

Hi, KateRyan: YEHEY!!! 11 lbs is very good result. 10,000 steps a day I think computes to 2.5 miles(?) I live across the heath from Greenwich Park and it beckons to me when I look out my window. I am addicted to walking. And yes, it is true that the mind clears during those walks. Wishing you happy, happy feet!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved