The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81727 - 06/24/06 12:33 AM 10,000 steps a day?
KateRyan2012 Offline

Loc: Southeastern US
I bought a pedometer, and it included a pamphlet about walking 10,000 steps a day. I thought, whew--it will take me a while to work up to that! But I put on the pedometer in the morning as I walked around the house and up and down the stairs. I walked around my neighborhood--lots of hills--two times the first day. At the end of the day, I had reached 10,500 steps! I was amazed! So I continued this every day for the past week. Some days seemed harder than others to reach the goal. I swear I thought I would never reach 10,000 yesterday!! I walked and walked and walked--up and down the hills--going all over my neighborhood. I FINALLY reached my goal and came home exhausted, but also exhillerated that I had reached my goal. I am pretty sore all over right now, but I hope it will really make a difference if I keep it up. I also am eating very well right now--small healthy meals and drinking only water. My goal is both weight loss and good health--but right now, weight loss is my top priority. Five pounds down and about 30 to go! I really hope I stick to it this time! I am getting bored with my neighborhood walks, though--may try mall walking or drive to a park with walking trails. I cannot afford a gym membership right now, but maybe one day--I like treadmills and indoor tracks best, but I refuse to wait until I can afford a gym membership to begin losing weight! [Smile] Walking is free, and eating fruits and vegetables and drinking water can be cheap, too!

#81728 - 06/25/06 11:48 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day?
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
You can do it! And you are inspiring me to walk more as well! I tend to walk alot. I walk to church with my son etc. but I will try to walk more.

Keep up the good walk!
Donna

#81729 - 07/08/06 12:23 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: 49erDonna]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What kind of pedometer did you buy? I've been given a couple through the years and they never seem to work. I wouldn't mind having a good one. Any suggestions?

Kate, try driving to different neighborhoods, parking the car, then trucking around new surroundings. It might add a little spice to your life. Plus, don't you just love looking at all the different houses and gardens?

#81730 - 07/08/06 05:00 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day?
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I walked 10 miles today!!! Not bad. Not bad at all. I have been building up to this mark since my operation nine weeks ago. Made it!!! Made it!!! Made it!!!

#81731 - 07/08/06 05:03 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Wow, Lola. I'm impressed. Good for you. Yippee!! Hip,hip,hooray for Lola!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#81732 - 07/09/06 08:38 AM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: yonuh]
Lola Offline

Gosh, Yonuh. My leg muscles moaned and groaned last night but shall be flogging them for the regular 5 mile walk today...not 10...because Wimbledon mens finals will be on at lunch time followed by the World Cup finals. Has the heat eased up a bit in AZ? Stay cool.

#81733 - 07/09/06 12:42 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I've been told you need to clip/wear your pedometer where a belt loop would be located...that it should line up with your knee shin. This is suppose to give you the "correct" reading of one. I'm like you Dotsie, I could never get one to work properly.

JJ

#81734 - 07/09/06 01:56 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Hi, Dotsie and JJ: I use a Hi Gear Scanner Mark II pedometer which also scans distance against calories burnt, timer and speed. I had it set up in the sports shop where I got it from. May be you can do likewise but before then, it might help to measure your steps against distance to get your stride length e.g. 8 steps to 28 feet = 3.5 ft.
Happy walking!!!

#81735 - 07/14/06 05:33 AM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
KateRyan2012 Offline

My pedometer is: Go Walking by Sportline--very cheap at Walmart, but seems to be fairly accurate. Ladies, I am here to testify that it really works! I have lost 11 pounds so far! Of course, it goes slower than I would like--I want ALL the fat gone NOW!! It took a while for pounds to begin to disappear--it seems that I went almost a week with little change, then suddenly dropped several pounds.

I got very excited the other day when my most recent sized jeans were too big. I didn't have any one size down--probably what I need for now. I did find some two sizes down in the closet--put them on and actually got them zipped up--BUT they are still WAY too tight! Maybe in another week or two! Even though they were very tight, I still got a thrill wearing them--yes, I ran around my house announcing my excitement about getting into these jeans! My daughter said--Mom ,you're getting skinny! The key word here is "getting"--because I'm not there yet--but I am really motivated to keep going now that I FINALLY see it working!! I can't wait to wear those jeans out in public--without them being too tight!!

So I have maintained a routine of walking 10,000 steps every day--sometimes more. And I am eating small meals of good healthy food. And I drink a LOT of water now--nothing else. And it's working! It's working! I hope I can reach my goal weight by October--my birthday and my personal deadline. I am determined to follow this through to the end, and then continue to maintain my new healthy lifestyle well into the future. I actually enjoy my time walking now--I listen to music and tune out the world--and I get a lot of plans made for my future while I walk. I am getting so excited about my future! What a great feeling!

#81736 - 07/14/06 06:58 AM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: KateRyan2012]
Lola Offline

Hi, KateRyan: YEHEY!!! 11 lbs is very good result. 10,000 steps a day I think computes to 2.5 miles(?) I live across the heath from Greenwich Park and it beckons to me when I look out my window. I am addicted to walking. And yes, it is true that the mind clears during those walks. Wishing you happy, happy feet!

#81737 - 07/16/06 02:30 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kate, thanks for the name of the pedometer. Congrats on the weight loss. Adding exercise instead of trying to eat less and less is the way to go. You mention drinking water and nothing else. Did you drink soda in the past? I've been cutting back on soda and trying to drink more water. It's something simple, but I feel like I'm doing soemthing good for myslef so it's working.

Lola, how much are you waling these days?

#81738 - 07/16/06 03:12 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

A friend of mine has cut out all sodas and drinks water. Since she doesn't like water though, she has started carrying around these "Crystal Light" tiny envelopes of flavored something or other...she pours one into her glass of water. She swears by it. Course she also has it with her banana pudding, chocolate cake, or other assorted desserts...no, she hasn't lost a pound...but at least she's drinking water now instead of sodas as you all call them. I call them Cokes.

JJ

#81739 - 07/16/06 04:59 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Hi, Dotsie: I walk a minimum of 5 miles daily on the weekdays and have upped it to 10 on the weekends...come rain or shine. Spring & summer are best because I can do it in the evenings and not worry about personal safety. I have signed up for guided walking tours on the weekends in August. People meet up and trek by foot from town to town via the English, Scottish and Welsh countryside. Rambling is another word they use for it. My first walking tour will be from Bradford Upon Avon to Wells. There are layovers along the way at some towns and villages for breathers. Have you heard of the walking pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Spain? I would love to do that some day.

#81740 - 07/16/06 05:15 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I just had a great idea....Wouldn't it be neat to have a Singing Walking Club? You could advertise for people to meet at a certain place, then have everyone sing songs as they walked...hey, they did it in the Army, why not now? Course then again, if you need your breath to walk, that might not work...but it WOULD be fun!

JJ

#81741 - 07/16/06 05:25 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Hi, JJ: They actually have them but they're called processions. Not entirely singing to Montezuma but still singing...albeit hymns.

#81742 - 07/16/06 05:28 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

How cool is that? I love the idea but as fast as I walk, I doubt I could share the vocal cords with singing AND breathing! ha! But it's just the greatest idea...I have this visual of people all singing as one voice..sigh.

JJ

#81743 - 07/16/06 05:46 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Yes, JJ, it is even beyond cool. You'd be surprised how one discovers the voice and manages to sing along. I go to Fatima, Portugal every year. Each night from 13th May to 13th October, the teeming pilgrims process for a Rosary which on the average is a 2-hour stroll. It could be raining on some nights and pilgrims go about the procession in raincoats. And because one processes amongst thousands, bodies encased in plastic or synthetic could really steam even in the open air (think body wrap here). Lots of weight shed on those nights..and tears for some. And yes, it is breathtaking and uplifting.

#81744 - 07/16/06 06:38 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

This isn't the same thing, but there is a "singing" that takes place in a small area outside of Nashville, Tenn called Diana Singing. Thousands upon thousands of people go and take blankets, lawn chairs, whatever, and stay all night and sing together as one voice. It is a once a year thing. I've never been but my parents attended when Daddy was alive, and of course, not ill. They always came back so comforted and happy. Mostly hymns.

JJ

#81745 - 07/17/06 11:10 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Our church literally reverberates with the sound of the voices singing hymms in unison. They have two huge screens on either side so everyone can see the words on the screens and join in. It will actually take your breath away.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#81746 - 07/18/06 07:01 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
KateRyan2012 Offline

Hey Ladies--just checking in. Down 13 pounds today--YAY!!! Still, can't help but wish it would burn FASTER! FASTER I say!! I feel like cursing out every one of those dang fat cells--tell them to get out of my body! Well, I guess the cells stay, but I hope they start shrinking faster. You know, I wonder about the actual process of it all. We know what happens when we eat a lot--we digest it, a form of it stays and some becomes fat, and we pass the rest. So when we burn those calories, where do they go? Do we sweat them out? Of course, with all of the water I have been drinking, I sure have to use the restroom a lot more--I wonder if they are released that way. Anyone know exactly where those stinking, godforsaken calories go? And why can't we target exactly what parts of us they leave? I sure wish my belly would shrink faster--I HATE carrying my fat in my tummy! I am losing weight, but my tummy doesn't look much flatter--maybe after another 10 pounds or so I will see a difference. I KNOW this is possible--I saw a woman about 20 years older than me at the mall--she was returning a size 6 dress because it was too big now! She had lost weight for her daughter's wedding and needed a size 4!! Dang it--I used to wear those sizes a long time ago--feels like eons!! I am far from it now--but maybe I can get closer--and maybe one day I really can be that tiny again! Ladies, is it me, or did sizes change? At my tiniest, right around 100 pounds, I wore 3s and 5s and sometimes 7s. I guess if I was that tiny again, I would wear 0s and 2s!! I am amazed when I see people heavier than I used to be wearing sizes smaller than I used to wear--what's up with that?!! Oh--BTW--this midwestern girl detoured through the south and picked up a taste for sweet tea--that is my vice, and the one I am trying to avoid at all costs. I keep reminding myself that I USED to drink tea without any sweetener or sugar--I should have never developed a taste for it. So, that is why I drink water only--I hate carbonated drinks because they make me feel gassy and bloated, and I began only liking tea when it was sweet as syrup! THAT is probably why I gained so much weight! So only water for me--and maybe one day I will once again develop a taste for unsweetened tea--never did like any artificial sweeteners, either. Water for now, and midwestern iced tea with NO sweeteners when I develop a taste for it again. I am really beginning to like plain water now, so we'll see if I develop new tastes in the future. I snack on fruit now and love it so much more than my previous snack choices--I think you really can change your tastes with practice and time. Good luck to us all!

Edited by KateRyan2012 (07/18/06 07:05 PM)

#81747 - 07/18/06 08:34 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: KateRyan2012]
Lola Offline

Hi, KateRyan: Calories convert to energy. The calories burn according to the activities we undertake. So, the more you do, the more you burn. The paunch is not necessarily all fat. It could also be slack muscles which walking will help tone. There are also abdominal exercises you can do at home which are not high-powered ones but effective. I gave up soda after having been told that a litre bottle of Coke has 40 spoons of sugar in it. Happy walking!

#81748 - 07/22/06 10:29 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Since July 10th I have LOST a whooping 14 pounds and didn't do a lick of exercise either, too darn busy. Wanna know my secret?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#81749 - 07/22/06 10:56 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Put us out of our misery and do tell.

#81750 - 07/22/06 11:25 PM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Hot, steamy sex?

JJ

#81751 - 07/23/06 08:15 AM Re: 10,000 steps a day? [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

In this heat?!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved