The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#88410 - 10/02/06 05:33 PM Re: Thank you, bless you for warm welcome [Re: 49erDonna]
copygal Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, the plot thickens folks-it's turning into a mini soap opera around here about the job. Turns out my old boss did give a reference. They asked him, did she work for you and would you hire her again. He answered yes to both questions. But they still passed me over for the job, saying I didn't have library experience. They could have mentioned that at my first interview or even the second interview. They had my resume for over a month and had me walk them through it at the second interview. Then they offered the job, then lied about my old boss not giving a reference, and finally took back the offer saying again that I didn't have the necessary experience. "We don't hire inexperienced people at this level." Good grief, it's not rocket science, or brain surgery, it's a high school library. I raised two kids of my own, plus most of the neighborhood kids as well and I spend a good deal of my time in one library or another, doing research and writing. Apparently, that doesn't count for much.
Thanks for letting me rant a bit, I'm just frustrated and scared about what's going to happen next.

Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

#88411 - 10/08/06 08:01 PM Re: Thank you, bless you for warm welcome [Re: copygal]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Hello copygal. How about looking for a job in a book store? Actually I have no idea what I'm talking about; maybe that's harder to find than working in a library, but if not; it may give you the nec. experience you might need for a library.
Just a thought
Hannelore

#88412 - 10/09/06 01:45 PM Re: Thank you, bless you for warm welcome [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Copygal,
Can you say lawsuit? An organization CANNOT offer you a job, tell you that it's yours, then recind based on what they've told you. However, I know suing them is not what you want. You simply wanted the job.

HOW DARE THEY! This kind of thing makes me furious. They better be glad it wasn't me! I wouldn't be as nice as you've been. If it were me, I wouldn't work for them NOW if they told me Elvis would be my co-worker.

I think Hannelore's suggestion of finding a job in a bookstore is an excellent one. Another suggestion would be a community ed or senior citizen center. Also, churches are always looking for people to help with Parent's Day Out, or other daycare services.

I have found that when the "expected" outcome of a situation doesn't match what I wanted to happen, God has something better in mind and so I TRUST.

Please keep us posted. And tell your friend (and our friend), Cynthy if you talk to her, that we would LOVE to hear from her!

#88413 - 10/09/06 03:02 PM Re: Thank you, bless you for warm welcome [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
copy, I'm with jawjaw. There must be something better in the wings. Please don't get discouraged. Believe God has a plan and move forward. I'm not so sure I'd want to work for them if that's the way they handle people. I bet their Human Resource department is busy!

#88414 - 10/09/06 07:14 PM Re: Thank you, bless you for warm welcome
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Copygal, you might try the local newspapers as well. They don't always advertise yet have jobs availabe as classified ad takers, or file clerks or front desk people for payments etc. Plus aren't there more Librarys around there you can try? Also get on the phone with the phone book and call Realtors, you can freelance doing their mail outs, reception desk etc., in their offices. Don't give up because when a door closes, a window opens wide.

Edited by chatty lady (10/09/06 07:15 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#88415 - 10/17/06 02:07 AM Rough nite, anybody here? [Re: Lola]
Cynthy Offline

Loc: California
Filled w. sadness tonight. The weather is cooling, my fears of aloneness and incredible sadness seem to increase as the weather cools and winter inches closer. I'm not sure I can bear the leaves falling off the oak trees here...It seems it always saddens me to see summer fade but this year is like no other. I keep reading grief books and find much solace but the bottom line is: I am alone, I am feeling desolate and in much pain. Please pray for strength for me. I pray often and it helps as I speak to Dave to watch over and guide me thru this painful journey...thanks everyone.

#88416 - 10/17/06 02:09 AM Re: Rough nite, anybody here? [Re: Cynthy]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I will be praying for you. I'm so terribly sorry for your pain and loss.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#88417 - 10/17/06 11:31 AM Re: Rough nite, anybody here? [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe

Cynthy, Yes we are here.
I can only imagine how hard it must be if you have lost a loved one, and then the winter season arrives; cold and grey.
May I share some encouraging words with you? I get these quotes daily, and save my favourites. Here is one.

Quote:

If we can look at our lives, during periods of challenge, and find something to be grateful for, then we can try to transform our realities. There are blessings to be found everywhere.
Every breath is a miracle and each smile becomes a gift. We begin to understand that difficulties are also invaluable lessons. The sun is always shining for us when we are grateful, even if it is hidden behind clouds on a rainy day. A simple sandwich becomes a feast, and a trinket is transformed into a treasure. Living in a state of gratitude allows us to spread our abundance because that is the energy that we emanate from our beings.

My warm condolences are with you.
Hannelore

#88418 - 10/17/06 02:01 PM Re: Rough nite, anybody here? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Hannelore, how sweet of you to post this for Cynthy.

Cynthy, reading is great. I'm glad to hear you are finding solace in doing so. However, reading is done alone. Mind telling us what you are doing with others? I'm only trying to help. Sometimes when we are sad, we tend to hole up and cut ourselves off from the world. I'm not suggesting you are doing that, but would like to suggest that you try to do something often with others. It takes your mind off your pain.

In a very small way, I can relate to the painless, long nights. I am recovering form a very painful knee surgery which involved lots of bone work all around the knee. Also bone graphs and screws, YUK! I am in pain during the day, but am very good at distracting myself with work, visitors, therapy, phone calls, reading, posting, etc. However, in the middle of the dark night, there aren't many distractions and the mind focuses on the pain. Come on sunlight! While I am awake in the night, I will remember to offer up prayers for you!

Edited by Dotsie (10/17/06 02:01 PM)

#88419 - 10/18/06 01:34 AM Re: Rough nite, anybody here?
copygal Offline

Loc: Texas
Cynthy,
It's always hardest at night, I know. And like Dotsie said, there are no distractions, unfortunately. Try to remember the funny moments, the jokes, the good times, happy memories. I remember trying to get through the first few months, with so many images in my head I really did not want to think about. There were many nights, I just wanted to be unconscious and not think at all. Sleep can be elusive however. There are many nights of prayer and crying yourself to sleep, that goes with the territory, I'm afraid. But don't despair, and just know that we're all praying for you. We understand. Keep reading those books and maybe try journaling. That's what helped me a great deal, recording everything I was feeling and thinking. You're not going to get over this, but you can work your way through it and we'll help. I know you're feeling lonely, but we're here; consider yourself hugged.

Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved