The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#91226 - 10/27/06 06:15 PM Re: Misogyny-The World's Oldest Prejudice [Re: Jeannine]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
There is supposed to be a tribe in Africa where women have the say. They even have several husbands. (Who would want that? )
Anyway, I watched this on TV. The men appeared to be insecure and helpless. Strange to see this too common situation for women, in a reversed role. I wonder how this tribe evolved like that. Have you ever heard of them, Jeannine?

#91227 - 10/27/06 07:55 PM Re: Misogyny-The World's Oldest Prejudice [Re: Edelweiss]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Hannelore, I read an article last year about these African women who have had enough:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/08/AR2005070801775.html

Possibly the same group to whom you're referring?

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#91228 - 10/27/06 08:21 PM Re: Misogyny-The World's Oldest Prejudice [Re: Jeannine]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I watched the movie last night on the Turner Oldies but Goodies channel and they had the movie Rooster Cogburn played by John Wayne and his sidekick was Katherine Hepburn. It was a Western and he made the comment, that in the West a good woman was almost as important to a man as a good horse. Katherine says, "almost huh?" That was a truer statement than we know. Great old movie, two fantastic actors.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#91229 - 10/30/06 08:38 AM Re: Misogyny-The World's Oldest Prejudice [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Jeannine, interesting article. I don't think they are the same tribe or group I was referring to. From what I gathered these women never had to flee. They were always considered the stronger sex.

#91230 - 10/30/06 03:54 PM Re: Misogyny-The World's Oldest Prejudice [Re: Edelweiss]
Jeannine Offline

Chatty, growing up, Kate Hepburn was my idol.

Hannelore, I'd really like to know the title of the piece you saw, so I can keep a look-out for it.

I found an interesting article written shortly after the Amish school shooting tragedy, that tells it like it is, concerning misogyny, now, today.

'The disrespectful, degrading, contemptuous treatment of women is so pervasive and so mainstream that it has just about lost its ability to shock. Guys at sporting events and other public venues have shown no qualms about raising an insistent chant to nearby women to show their breasts. An ad for a major long-distance telephone carrier shows three apparently naked women holding a billing statement from a competitor. The text asks, “When was the last time you got screwed?”'

excerpt from 'Why Aren't We Shocked?' by Bob Herbert

---Nancy Thayer

#91232 - 10/30/06 08:00 PM Re: Misogyny-The World's Oldest Prejudice [Re: ]
Jeannine Offline

Anne, I know...words fail! I received a note from a woman I've been corresponding with for a number of years. Her seventeen year old son is a fan of such sites as these:

http://whatmenthinkofwomen.blogspot.com/

http://thef-wordblog.blogspot.com/

http://www.mens-links.net/showlinks.asp?category=38

He often speaks fondly of a male teacher who makes such statements as, 'Women are good at one thing, spending a man's money.' This is an educator, ladies, a person who may very well have a great deal of influence on the developing young person's mindset.

---Nancy Thayer

#91233 - 10/30/06 08:50 PM Re: Misogyny-The World's Oldest Prejudice [Re: Jeannine]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Gads, this brought back a very old memory. In the eighth grade I had a male teacher that went on an on about women who put lipstick on in public. It just enraged him! Today, I realize he had a loose screw. His poor wife!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#91235 - 11/02/06 10:45 PM Re: Misogyny-The World's Oldest Prejudice [Re: ]
Jeannine Offline

Anne, I am amazed at some of the anti-female sites stinking up the internet! Some of them are just plain 'hate' sites.

I'm no radical feminist. I hold no gender above the other. But I have to tell you, the number of pro-misogyny sites out there makes me rather uncomfortable.

---Nancy Thayer

#91237 - 11/06/06 02:55 PM Re: Misogyny-The World's Oldest Prejudice [Re: ]
Jeannine Offline

Anne, it's par for the course, isn't it? We're divided against one another, by gender, age, race, religion, and on and on it goes. Someday human beings will finally 'get it', and realize the only way to make real human progress, is by standing united.

My eldest daughter is employed at a company involved in an area long a bastion of males only, especially in management positions. She has recently been given a division managership for this company. She has apprised me of the less than 100% support she received, on her way to this position, from a great many men. As leader of a team of employees, all men, she found them at first unwilling to, as she put it, 'follow instructions'. She called her heads of departments into her office, and let them know, she was there to succeed at her job, and if they weren't there to succeed at theirs, they would be replaced. After that meeting, she had no more problems. As she put it to me, 'I was not about to be bullied, in any way, by anyone'. She also said she found it so hard to understand why, when she's able, and capable, she had to put up with anti-female attitudes.

Edited by Jeannine (11/06/06 04:08 PM)

---Nancy Thayer

#91239 - 11/07/06 07:54 PM Re: Misogyny-The World's Oldest Prejudice [Re: ]
Jeannine Offline

Quote:

everything to do with bad attitudes and lack of skills of the man (men) and the old-boys-school mindset

Great bit of insight there, Anne.

I have a granddaughter, and I am very conscious of the under-current of misogyny, prevalent, not only in other countries, but in our own nation, today. As I said before, I am no radical feminist, but, I realize the cold hard fact, that women's rights, as we know them, are not protected, fully, by law. The only right that the United States Constitution specifically affirms, equally, for women and men, is the right to vote. Sometimes, Anne, I ponder long and hard, upon the significance of this fact.

Edited by Jeannine (11/07/06 07:56 PM)

---Nancy Thayer

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved