The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 133 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#92381 - 10/23/06 08:07 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: flossie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I remember them as high-top sneakers. Some girls wore them too but I think they were for boys mostly.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#92383 - 10/24/06 07:01 AM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: ]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Anne, I always read MAD at my friend's house, because they were more expensive than a reg. comic. Loved them. My youngest son looked like Alfred Neuman at six years old when his front tooth was missing. Ha ha he was so cute. Got to add he developed into a good looking guy...thank God he didn't remain that way.

#92384 - 10/24/06 11:50 AM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
karen, that was a great list. The one that I get a kick out of the most is the three TV channels. What would our children do if they couldn't roll through 300 of them.

What I find crazy is that when there were only three channels, there was something worth watching...

#92385 - 10/24/06 04:01 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if;
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Who would've thought, as we were playing our record albums, that we could store all of our favorite music in a device not much larger than a credit card?

My first "car phone" cost $1,500 (not that long ago, 1988 or 89) and my x bought it for me for Christmas - of course I had to actually pay it off.

laurapoplin.com

#92387 - 10/25/06 09:25 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Daisy, do you have an Ipod?

#92388 - 12/29/06 01:30 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: flossie]
whittlewoman Offline

Loc: upstate New York
Oh yes! I too grew up with everything on that list. We were on a party line with 20 other neighbors. One elderly woman seemed to control the line and let us know when we could get a call out. She listened to all our calls and commented whenever she felt inclined to be part of the conversation.

#92389 - 12/29/06 02:44 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: whittlewoman]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Did she ever interrupt and ask you to get off? That could be done, couldn't it?

#92390 - 12/29/06 04:30 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if;
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Growing up in the 20th century, we've seen so much progress in our lifetime. I don't believe in any other century has so much been accomplished in so little time. We haven't quite reached the 'Jetson' era yet, but we're well on our way. Who ever thought you could tell a computer to vacuum a room, and you could walk away and come back to a clean floor? And, it put itself away!

I'm so thankful I lived and grew up in a simpler time so that I can truly appreciate the products developed in our lifetime to make our lives "easier". Children, don't have that luxury. They were born into this lifestyle and can't possibly be appropriately grateful.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#92391 - 12/29/06 04:57 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
You're quite right, Vicky. My children cannot imagine how we managed. The big difference was when they were in school and the availability of reference materials within arm's length by way of the internet as opposed to the way we did our research in libraries. Remember how we scoured through rows and rows of books? I have been to my grandson's school and it is so modern. Gone are the days of chalk and blackboard and eraser monitors. In his school, everything is computer projected to a white screen and it works very much like blackberrys. All the teacher and pupils have got to do is work with pointers and zap answers to solve problems accordingly. The technology is mindblowing.

#92392 - 12/30/06 12:58 PM Re: You might be Older Than Dirt if; [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Wow, we aren't quite there with our school system. At least not that I'm aware of. Possibly some of the colleges are like this but not the elementary schools. The technology is mind-blowing. I can't quite imagine what type of educational experiences my grandchildren will have.

My children go to the library to study because it is a quiet place. I don't think they use any of the resources there because they can get everything they need on their lap tops. They have no idea what we had to do to write a term paper. I recall coming home with stacks of books on one topic. I also recall getting to the library too late and all the books already being checked out. Then we'd have to beg and borrow them from friends who got there before us. Seems odd nowadays.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved