The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#93167 - 10/24/06 10:15 PM Winterize Your Pets
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Watch those chemicals
Cats and dogs like the sweet taste of anti-freeze, so clean up spills prompthy as they are 'always' poisoness and usually deadly to our pets.

Honk to be Sure
When its cold out, cats love to snuggle up under the engine of a car. Those can be deadly spots when the engine starts so before turning on the ignition, look under the car, tap on the hood, and honk the horn to wake sleeping kittys.

Watch tails and ears.
Despite fur our pets can develop frostbite and tissue damage from being exposed to cold. The skin turns bright red, then pale, then black before falling off. Ears, footpads and tail tips are especially vulnerable.

NO salt please
Thoroughly wipe the pets pads and belly with warm water when they come inside, just in case they picked up any road salt, antifreeze or other chemicals while outdoors that they might try to lick off.

Protect those Seniors.
If your pet is older or has heart of lung condition or arthritis, you may need to skip the long walks. Cold air in their lungs can be damaging and dangerous. Cold air is harder on older pets.

Shelters are Imperative
Some dogs and cats can remain outdoors on those cold winter days if they have adequate shelter. Selters should be raised off the ground so air circulates and doesn't get damp. Openings need to be protected from the winds. NO animal can withstand freezing weather and should be brought inside when temperatures drop below freezing and there is a wind chill factor.

Pets have Limits.
Unless acclimated to cold weather cats should remain indoors. When dogs gotta go, they gotta go outside but keep them as warm as possible, sweaters or jackets help immensely, They even sell doggie boots. If they start doing a little dance, and lifting their paws get them inside fast. You might want to look into some winter wear for your pet....

Edited by chatty lady (10/24/06 10:17 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#93168 - 10/25/06 06:27 PM Re: Winterize Your Pets [Re: chatty lady]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Living down here in Florida, we take our warm weather for granted. I rarely think about "winterizing" anything. All of these are great ideas.

Something to think about when your dog is in warmer climates. Try not to let them outside during the hottest part of the day. Make sure they have plenty of water to drink. When walking your pet, check the pavement. You have shoes on, but your dog doesn't. They can burn the pads of their feet.

NEVER EVER leave your pet in a car. Even if you're only going to "be a second." The temperature rises rapidly and they could suffer heat exhaustion and stroke in only a few minutes.

Thanks for these reminders, Chatty.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#93170 - 10/25/06 10:08 PM Re: Winterize Your Pets [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

You too Vicki, going into the winter I always worry about pets even though we have no really cold weather her in Neveda. But I'm from Chicago and oh boy, talk about bone chilling, teeth chattering, breath freezing COLD. I would hate for even one precious animal to be out in that.

Edited by chatty lady (10/25/06 10:09 PM)

#93172 - 10/26/06 10:44 PM Re: Winterize Your Pets [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Does your ditzy neighbor leave this baby out when its really cold? You may be his only protector and if she does the ASPCA needs to be informed of her cruelty.

#93173 - 10/27/06 12:33 AM Re: Winterize Your Pets [Re: chatty lady]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My pets work very hard during the winter -- at keeping me warm at night!

#93174 - 10/27/06 01:39 AM Re: Winterize Your Pets [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

You don't mean the horse do you? LOL

#93176 - 11/30/06 08:50 PM Re: Winterize Your Pets [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Bringing this back again since it has turned so cold in most places across the country, and these kittens I'm babysitting can squeeze into the smallest spaces, its amazing to me.

#93178 - 01/31/07 11:03 PM Re: Winterize Your Pets [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm glad to see so many well-informed people on this forum. After twenty years of rescue experience and many special needs companions, I see a lot more people who don't care or just are not educated about proper care for our furry companions. Anyone out there involved in TNR programs too?

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved