The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#95848 - 11/21/06 08:12 PM Holiday Stress
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Before the holiday stress starts, now would be a good time to put together a plan for handling the stressful issues that come up during the holidays.

Cooking, cleaning, decorating, gift buying, parties, family, they all can add to the usual stressors of the day.

Give yourself permission to cut out stress by saying "no". Let someone else do the cooking this year. Clean the rooms necessary and let the others go until after the holidays. Decorate if you want, and as much as you want. Only if it isn't stressful. If you don't want to decorate - don't. Don't be pressured to doing something just because everyone else is.

Gift buying can be a major stressor. Just managing the shopping is enough to give anyone an anxiety attack. Make things easier on yourself. Give gift cards. Or, ask people not to give you gifts and tell them that you will not be giving gifts this year. Donate to a favorite charity instead.

Parties can be fun, but they can also be a place where inhibitions disappear. Watch the alcohol and sugar intake. Leave early, it's okay. You don't have to be the last one at the party. Go with a friend who can be there for you if you have a panic attack or anxiety attack.

Families can be families. With all the drama that goes with them. Holidays and forced togetherness can be a set up for confrontations. Walk away. Don't let yourself get sucked into an argument. It's not worth it. Even if you are right, and your sister did pull the head off your favorite doll when you were six years old.

Give yourself permission to relax this holiday season. Take time for yourself. Make time for yourself. It's important to your mental, emotional, and physical health.

Have a happy and peaceful holiday season.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#95849 - 11/22/06 01:18 AM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Pam R. Offline

Thanks for the advice Vicki. I have been stressing just thinking of all there is to do and still work a full time job and take care of my Mom on weekends. You are right, don't decorate if you don't want to. Ahhhh, sure I will...but not as much as I used to. I will put up the little tree and the nativity. That's enough, right? I have begun my shopping but I am not going overboard this year. The worst part is the wrapping. I can't stand the backache I get while doing it. Setting up a table and standing in front of the TV helps while wrapping. It take pressure off the back. Wish I had started that already. Doing it in one night after work is exhausting! I really wanted to have a luncheon for the girls at work to celebrate the holiday on a Saturday. But there are sooo many, and I wouldn't want to offend anyone. There really is a lot of work involved like cleaning the house, setting the table, shopping, cooking, and cleaning up. I think I will skip it this year. I'm just not as young as I used to be! Happy Holidays everyone.

#95850 - 11/22/06 01:32 AM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: Pam R.]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
And don't think you have to eat it just because it's there. Honestly. I know because I have in the past. Now I don't. As a matter of fact, it's become somewhat of a game with me to see how "sensible" I can be when filling up my plate. We can all only eat so much, so take what you can eat, leave the rest for Uncle Howard, or Cousin Pearl...let them do the overeating. You'll love yourself the next day!

#95851 - 11/22/06 02:24 AM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: jawjaw]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
I was so proud that I bought my first gift for a Red Hat Dirty Santa party yesterday...only to find out today that mother is having cataract surgery that day so I won't be going.

Darn, I knew I shouldn't start this early!

#95852 - 11/22/06 03:43 AM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
What's a Dirty Santa party? Sounds interesting....

#95853 - 11/22/06 09:38 PM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I hope it isn't the one I'm thinking of, like they have out here. Oh well, LIVE A LITTLE!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#95854 - 11/22/06 10:03 PM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: chatty lady]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Oh, Jane, it's that always the way. About that Dirty Santa party...
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#95855 - 11/23/06 12:53 AM Re: Holiday Stress [Re: Saundra]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Pam, how about using gift bags? You can get some great ones at the dollar stores.

Vicki, I wish I could listen to your advice. I am a nut when it comes to Christmas. I tend to spread things out between Thanksgiving and December 24th. I pave myself and it works fairly well. I make tons of lists and work from them.

JJ, I also wish I could listen to your advice. I guess I need to begin trying self-discipline tomorrow. I'll let you know how I do.

Yes, about that Red Hat Dirty Santa party. I want to know more...

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved