The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#96519 - 11/28/06 03:20 PM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, this is the perfect year for you to make changes becasue you have a sick brother and people will have to understand.

I recall Christmas for the first seven years we were married. All we did was run around like nuts. The year our daughter arrived from Korea on December 21st, our son got pneumonia. We HAD to stay home. My MIL brought us Christmas dinner on plates from my SIL's house. It was wonderful. We've never left home on Christmas day again. It was the perfect year for us to make the much needed change.

Perhaps this is your year Eagle.

This post reminds me of expectations. This is something we discuss quite often at prayer group. We often talk about lowering our expectations of others, but during the Christmas season, we need to lower our expectations of our selves.

This is something I like about being at midlife. We've learned from past mistakes and have the guts to look out for ourselves.

I try not to get overwhelmed because I pace myself, but come to think of it, I still am the one doing most of the work. Hmmm.

I appreciate this post because I have a couple family members who cringe at the thought of the holidays. This year I will see what I can do to make their holidays more meaningful.

#96520 - 11/28/06 03:29 PM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Eagle Heart]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm not looking forward to Christmas this year either but am going to put my best foot forward and give it my best shot.
I think this support group forum is a great idea. I haven't been visiting BWS much lately because I've been feeling down and didn't want to depress everyone. At least if I do feel down and I come here, I know I'm among people who feel the same way.
I wasn't going to decorate this year but then decided to do it and include special decorations for the people who we are missing this year and from year's past. An angel for my SIL, a standing buck for my Dad.
I hope we can all help each other through this season.

#96521 - 11/28/06 05:16 PM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: TVC15]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
TVC15, This is EXACTLY what this thread is for, for those of us who are down and don't want to depress everyone else. Let's make this a safe place for anyone to be whoever, whatever we are - depressed, sad, stressed, lonely - together. Together I know we'll get each other through.

I've struggled with the decorating part of holidays ever since Mom died. It was Lynnie who helped me resolve that last year (though I do still dread having to do it, but I think I've learned that it's the overwhelming energy drain that I dread the most). Lynnie doesn't know it, but her "light and love" signature and life motto sparked something in me and has become my own self-propelling mantra. I incorporated that into my home decor - I've simplified and decluttered, and only a few choice knick-knacks/decorations stay out - every single thing that is displayed anywhere in our house represents either light or love (or both). The change has been very welcome. Our home feels warm and welcoming, and my "light and love" environment surrounds me with serenity and peace in the midst of all the other chaos going on.

I'm going to do that with my Christmas decorations too - put only a few favourite pieces out that speak "light and love" (actually, everything will pretty much focus around the nativity set.) That way, it not only keeps it from being burdensome and exhausting to decorate, but will hopefully bring joy and calm, because it will help me to keep my focus on what's important to me - the light and love of my God, family and friends.

Edited by Eagle Heart (11/28/06 05:22 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#96522 - 11/28/06 05:20 PM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie, I want to respond, but will have to wait until tonight. We're on the run (brother's doctor appointment - and he wants tacos for supper tonight - only the second time in six months he's had a hankering for something specific!)

(Maya Angelou)

#96523 - 11/28/06 07:00 PM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Eagle Heart]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
EAgle, I love the love and light decorating idea! That is super. I will keep that in mind as I decorate too, for the holidays and after! Way to go Lynnie for giving Eagle the idea!
Eagle, don't be too disappointed if your brother decides that he isn't exactly in the mood for the tacos after he has them. Even a few bites would be great! The fact that he is craving something is wonderful in its own right.
Hugs,
and again I think this thread is a great idea! For some strange reason, it makes me feel better just knowing I can come here. I'm not the type who wants to be a whiner or a crier and like I said, I was staying away because of my foul mood lately. Thank you for coming up with the great idea!
And Dotsie I know what you're thinking, this is what the entire site is about, support, but sometimes when you're feeling down, you just don't want to bring everyone else down with you. Thank you for providing this wonderful place for us!

#96524 - 11/28/06 08:03 PM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: TVC15]
Eagle Heart Offline

Quote:

For some strange reason, it makes me feel better just knowing I can come here.

Me too! I've already noticed a difference in myself today. Just knowing that you're out there somewhere making your way through the same struggle and that we have "here" to come back to to hash out the struggle together makes me feel a lot less lonely and a lot more hopeful.

(Maya Angelou)

#96525 - 11/28/06 08:17 PM Re: Christmas Support Group
Eagle Heart Offline

Quote:

This post reminds me of expectations. This is something we discuss quite often at prayer group. We often talk about lowering our expectations of others, but during the Christmas season, we need to lower our expectations of our selves.

Dotsie, the phrase "unrealistic expectations" has come up in almost every round of therapy I've gone through over the past 20+ years. And I'm sad to admit that I'm still a slave to unrealistic expectations, despite much hard work to overcome that obsessiveness with meeting everyone's expectations. I'm better at saying "no" and setting parameters (and that came by way of several years of debilitating chronic fatigue). But I still fall into the trap at Christmas time, moreso now with hubby's side of the family than my own, though. It's like Chatty observed, it doesn't matter how much we do for them, it's rarely ever good enough - everything from food to gifts to schedules - you name it, they're unhappy with whatever we do or serve or give. That makes it very wearying and disheartening, and steals much of the joy out of my Christmas - which makes me miss my Mom so much more because Christmases at home growing up were exceptionally happy and full of celebration.

Nowadays, the biggest part of our Christmas actually happens after the 25th. My other brother and two nieces (now 17 & 14) have been coming to Mom's and now to our place for their "2nd Christmas" ever since before the 17-year-old was born. They arrive on the 26th and leave on the 30th, and for the most part, it's a wonderful week. It's fun, we play lots of games and do fun stuff together. And I dread the day when we have to stop that particular tradition, but the flip side of the fun is that it IS a lot of work. And I don't really mind the work, but I just don't have the physical stamina anymore to weather all that energy output without serious repercussions. And it's knowing that I come out the other side of Christmas overwhelmingly exhausted (it takes me weeks to recover) that makes this side of Christmas so stressful. No matter how much I do to prepare ahead of time, it still ends up costing me what little energy reserves I've managed to build up.

This year, because of my brother's cancer, we've already had to cancel some family gatherings. My 14-year-old niece has been particularly affected by that, especially given that her parents have been slogging through bitter divorce proceedings all year too and only just signed the papers last week. I just couldn't change that 2nd Christmas tradition on her this year. We've already warned them that we'll be going away next year, so that gives them plenty of time to adjust. But they really need to be here this year, not just for tradition sake, but because family is more important than ever this year.

I have to get myself through it just one more year, albeit somewhat debilitated by fatigue, because I know how crucial it is for her and my brother and all of us to be together this year.

Edited by Eagle Heart (11/28/06 08:23 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#96526 - 11/29/06 01:09 AM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Eagle Heart]
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
My sister-in-law died last night. She had lived with us the past year

This is going to be an exceptionally sad Christmas for my husband. He has lost his dad, mom, older brother and sister, son and now his baby sister.

And somehow I have to find the way to get him through the holidays -- when my own heart is so sad to be away from my grandbaby, son and DIL.

So (((( thank you Eagle ))) for starting this thread -- together we'll get through

#96527 - 11/29/06 02:32 AM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: lionspaaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Oh, I'm so sorry! Had she been ill? (I apologize if you mentioned it on this forum already - I don't read all the topics) And did he lose all those family members just in this one year?

He's very lucky to have you - stay together and be strong.

#96528 - 11/29/06 03:12 AM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Dwight's family has (hereditary) polycystic kidney disease. He lost his mom and dad back in 1984 (his dad died of cancer) and then August of 2001 he lost his older brother - 2 weeks later his older sister - and 4 days later our son. Now Joni - who has been sick for many years with the kidney problems and recently her heart has passed on. So he has one more sister and 2 nephews (all three have the disease) left.

Hubby is the only one in the family that doesn't have the illness, so he's going through "survivors guilt" on top of all the other emotions. Since no one has made it past the age of 61 (and he turned 58 this year) I think he also has the "mortality issue" on the back of his mind too. Right now I think he's more "numb" than anything.

But we are strong together and I have all you ladies to come lean on --- so this too shall pass.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved