The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#96592 - 12/12/06 03:09 AM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Eagle Heart]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Renee, I'm glad to hear you have made new friends. And I'm glad to hear here that it's not about the tree! although I do love a Christmas tree. But yes, Eagle, it can be an onerous task! I broke 2 ornaments that are over 50 years old and made it through numerous moves, floods, earthquakes, etc. and they get to me and on my tree and they break. They were the first ornaments I recall seeing at age 3-5. My mom was pointing to each one on the little tiny tree. "You like this one? It's a house." "And this one looks like a strawberry!" And I finally get them, and 2 break! And they've been through it all! Best I leave them in the box next year.

#96593 - 12/12/06 04:59 PM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Princess Lenora]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Lynnie,
I found some of the old ornments that you are talking about that mom had that brokeen. I found some in a booklet called the Vermont Country Store and bought them . I have the house and the stawbery and the grapes , but moms were . purple and these are green , but what the heck ! We did put the tree and looks so pretty with the twinkling lights this year that husband bought .

Nice memories as always ,

#96594 - 12/13/06 02:28 AM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Sadie]
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Wow, I just ran across this thread today, and I can't tell you all how much it has helped me just reading all of the posts.

I too dread the holidays. I call the time between Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day "the dark period." I'm fine any other time, but that period is sometimes a real challenge. For some reason, this year has been particularly difficult.

My folks are both gone, and I am divorced. Losing the connection with all of the in-laws just added to it all. It doesn't help that all the people I work with are all happily married with families, so I hear about all of their "stuff" constantly during the day.

Thanks for listening. And my best wishes and prayers are with you all.

Whirlwind

#96595 - 12/13/06 02:36 AM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Whirlwind]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Whirlwind, I only had to spend one Christmas alone, back in 1983, and it was brutal...I started crying around 9pm on Christmas Eve and didn't stop until Boxing Day...I'll never forget that brutal ache. And being surrounded by co-workers who all had families and happy plans only made it worse.

Thankfully, I'm at the other end of that extreme now - three full Christmas celebrations (each complete with gift exchange and full supper) - and there are brief moments when my scattered brain yearns for a quieter Christmas, until I remember 1983.

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with you throughout the coming weeks and especially on the 25th. Will you be going anywhere or any plans over the Christmas week? I hope that this "dark period" has enough warm light poking through to carry you safely through.

(Maya Angelou)

#96596 - 12/13/06 09:27 AM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Whirlwind, I don't want to seem pushy but when alone and lonely find the nearest mission and volunteer to help feed the homeless. Honest, when you see those poor homeless peoples faces and how they appreciate so much just having a warm meal and someone smile at them instead of shooing them away. Oh, and the children! When thinking of the homeless I never thought of children, whole families, but their there and need our love and understanding, and the smiles on those little faces will take the lonesome winds right out of your sails. Plus knowing you helped Gods less fortunate people will make your heart sing. You can turn things around if you want to...

Edited by chatty lady (12/13/06 09:28 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#96597 - 12/13/06 10:25 AM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Whirlwind, Do you know the song from
Roger Whittaker "Streets of London" ?
Here is a link to the lyrics. I just love this song.

Streets of London

I agree with Chatty. I think if you give your time to these poor people, you receive a lot more in return.
Hannelore

#96598 - 12/13/06 01:00 PM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Edelweiss]
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the kind words ladies.

I'm not totally alone, I do have some family and we do get together. And my boyfriend (I use that word loosely these days) always includes me with his family (they think I'm great). I guess I just yearn for the "days of old" when my folks were here and I had my OWN immediate family to celebrate with. This sounds crazy, but I feel like I'm on the outside looking in and I hate that feeling.

And Chatty, volunteering is a great idea, but hard to do in Atlanta. I called the Hosea Feed the Hungry organization several months ago to volunteer for Christmas and was told they didn't need any more people. I've run into that the several times I've tried to get involved in other organizations (including Habitat for Humanity). The answer is always "We have enough people, but we'd love to have your money." But that's a great idea, I plan to keep looking.

I think one of my New Year's resolutions is going to be to find a church home. For me, that will probably fill much of the void because it will open doors to get involved and do things for people in my local community (things that I wouldn't otherwise know about).

And Hannelore, I LOVE that song!

Whirlwind

#96599 - 12/13/06 03:15 PM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Whirlwind]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
One thing that I love to do at Christmas is adopt a family. (when I can afford it) There are many local charities that will give you details on a particular family - number of kids and their ages, needs, wants, etc. Then I go shopping just for them, wrap it all up, and the charity delivers it.

I can't help but think of those people on Christmas morning, opening the goodies I got for them, and eating a meal they made with the grocery store gift card I included. Sometimes I think it's more fun to shop for them than my own family, because they need so much and will really appreciate everything.

Kathy

#96600 - 12/13/06 04:27 PM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have thought about this since it was first posted.
I so enjoy the cards arriving...the church advent services and the first time I hear a salvation army band or carol singers in the High streer.When I see trees decorated in the towns I feel happy.
BUT
In my room I feel really crowded in by decorations.Also the plants I am given by interflora from distant friends are beautiful.BUT all put together means I feel overload..I downsized to a little fibre optic tree for my window sill and this helped.
As soon as possible I clear the Christmas stuff away.In no way would I stop putting things up but I am uncomfortable in what I see as clutter
This week I am goung to an outdoor nativity play in a stable with real animals..And I am looking forward to this.
Does anyone understand this feeling I have.
Mountain Ash

#96601 - 12/13/06 11:25 PM Re: Christmas Support Group [Re: Mountain Ash]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
YES YES YES. I do. It's why I've had to simplify my decorating down to just a few favourite decorations - and every piece HAS to speak "light and love" to me or I feel that feeling of overload, suffocation, anxiety. It took me YEARS to recognize those feelings and to be able to do something about them. My Mom was the epitome of Christmas and our house was decorated from stem to stern, with nary a wall or corner left untouched. I thought that was the way it had to be. Once I realized how much the "clutter" (yes it's beautiful clutter, but still clutter) was disturbing my spirit, I made a conscious effort to simplify.

This year, we have the nativity scene set up on the TV stand (it's a massive piece of furniture) and then candles and a few beloved figurines surrounding the nativity, so that it looks like everything's focused on the nativity. That's my focus too. The only other decorations in the living room are the Christmas cards hanging on the door. It's not directly in my line of vision so it's not overwhelming.

Yes, I do understand. Oh so well. Like I said, I stifled it for most of my life, not understanding it or the "why" of it. Like you, I can't do Christmas without putting up SOME decorations, but I know now that for me simpler is better. And like you, the moment Christmas is over (which for us is December 30th when the last houseguests leave) it takes every ounce of willpower not to take everything down right away. I do leave the nativity set up with a few candles for much of January, but everything else is down NLT Jan 6, if not New Year's Day.

Decluttering and simplifying are part of the coping skills I've learned to develop to get myself through the oft-times overwhelming pace of Christmas week.

Edited by Eagle Heart (12/13/06 11:27 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved