[quote I was stunned to learn in the U.K., maybe an old company that for professional woman, they might be still addressed as Mr. in a letter. Jeez.... old, old thinking and practices.

That's quite right, Orchid. I am addressed as Esq (Esquire) in correspondence but only at first instance. Further correspondence reverts in the form I wish to be addressed i.e. first name basis or titular, depending on familiarity with my counterpart. The protocol in the legal profession usually address correspondence in the masculine form in the same way countries are referred to in the feminine form because of the personality they are given. There is nothing, however, that would restrict one from using "Sir/Madam" salutations should one choose to deviate. It is just not the common practice within the legal profession. I have still to come across any form of complaints from any of my counterparts at other law firms when it is presumed they are men. Perhaps, it is because further correspondence and the accompanying conduct allow for the women in my profession to rectify that presumption. I have, on a few occasions, addressed a Vivien, Leslie, Marion and a Jocelyn, as a "Madam", only to discover that I should have referred to a "Sir".