It is sad in a way, that Life is constant change, and loss is inevitable. I believe it's how we handle the episodes of loss in our lives that teach us more of what we are as human beings, than in how we handle the episodes of gain.

As for the aging marriage...I think in every great long-term committed relationship, there is a process that is undergone, participated in by both parties. It is the process of understanding one another, as human beings. There is so much more to it all, than merely, well he's a man! or she's a woman! and never the twain shall meet! No, I don't believe that at all. Through the years of my marriage, honest communication has been a necessity. I've also often walked in my husband's shoes, so to speak. I've endeavored to see his life experiences through his eyes, and in so doing, in attempting to understand to the best of my abilities, this one man, I believe I've gleaned some small insight as to the male gender. This, and the fact that we have, unwittingly, taught each other, through the years, through all the changes we’ve experienced during life, what it is to be female and male.

Aging together, my husband and I are each other's best friends. There is no question, with either of us, with whom we'd rather spend time. We know each other as humn beings, as intimately as we know ourselves, the good, and the bad, we know each other. With all we know, we love and genuinely like one another.

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer