I would like to say that sometimes we women have had enough and it's time to leave. I left mine over 10 years ago and what a good decision that was, although not an easy one.
I don't think you left him because of that one incident, it's been building for sure.
Just be careful to not make any rash decisions, I agree. When I left I felt so giddy, had those free as a bird feelings etc, although I had three kids in tow, two in diapers. The freedom from the stress and anguish is what does this. That horrible walking on egg shells feeling, I'm sure many can relate. Although it was the right decision, three months later I crashed and burned. I had prolonged the painful part, the grief. You have to go through the grieving process or it catches up with you later when you don't expect it.
I'm not saying that you should avoid feeling free and enjoying it, the way you feel is a process. Just remember that the road ahead will not be without it's challenges and even doubts so hang in there and keep postinig.
I wish you all the best.
Kate