Hannelore, I feel really bad that I didn't see this sooner. Like several of the other gals here, I can see similarities with my own situation.

Husband a bully? CHECK! Selfish? CHECK! Irrational? CHECK! Childish? CHECK! Bad-tempered? CHECK! Always negative? CHECK! CHECK! and CHECK!

I understand the breaking point. There comes a day when you just can't take one...iota...more.

In my case, I left. For a day. A weekend. Two weeks. Incommunicado all times. Was he screaming and starting fights over absolute crap? "Bye, I'm gone, fight with the walls, but I'm no longer here."

Now he knows if he starts that garbage, I'm out the door. Home life is tolerable, for the first time in ages. He's almost nice to me most of the time. Truth be told, he's nice to me a lot, tons of compliments, where it used to be all insults. But I no longer love him. Don't want him, except to pay the bills.

He so doesn't get it. Doesn't realize just how "too late" it really is. But he never got it before either, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

Sounds like your husband will never get it either. You have to decide what you can, and cannot, live with. If he's worth it. Ultimately, he also has to decide what's important to him.

We're here for you, whatever happens. Be strong.

Poet and essayist