I've read all the post today and at first my heart sank for you but was immediately uplifted by the fact that you stood your ground. Honey, if you don't live your life, who will?

I applaud you for moving toward the therapy step. I cannot say whether it will work or lead you back to square one, but if you are like me, you would be saying, "but what if I didn't try?" So good for you, and for him for agreeing to go.

I was moved by his tears but quite honestly, I've seen them before. As someone mentioned previously, they were short-lived (in my situation) and the verbal abuse returned. Hopefully, this will not be the case for you. I will put myself out there by saying that ANYONE.................ANYONE who was not nice to MY MOTHER would be so history. Color him G-O-N-E. In your situation though, I just feel there is more to this than meets the eye. I don't think its your Mother, per se, but some other thing that is driving his actions (a problem of his own) and he is just using Mom as a target.

Why would he pick that one particular way of hurting you? BECAUSE....he knows it would. That is one area in your life where you are vunerable. If someone wanted to hurt me, they could talk badly about my children or my family. That act alone would hurt me to the core. Personally, I think your husband is lashing out at you for some demon of his own and chose your Mother because he knew it WOULD hurt you.

Why do "THEY" hurt the ones who love them the most? Usually it is because they can . We take it because we love them. To a point. When the straw breaks ... that's all she wrote (and all of those other cliches)

I honestly have no advice or wisdom to pass on, but I will be holding you in my thoughts and prayers and hope that peace finds you.