Thanks gimster, my hubby told me that I should always shift into low and that would help the slow down process. Now I know. Of course, he's also the one who told me he probably would have driven it home (good for him, I say) but understood why I didn't want to try....we have a very dangerous intersection in that two mile drive home. But as you mentioned, it happens in a flash and it could have been in traffic....I definitely count my blessings that it wasn't worse! Oh gosh, I remember those 70's days of no seatbelts or car seats. I'm horrified that we thought little of it!! My baby was in a car bed in the back seat and rolled over onto the floor in 1975. It's so scary to think back on all of that. Then again, in 1979 I was in a horrific drivers side accident. I pulled out onto a dark side road after a class and a very fast car without headlights plowed into my drivers side door. I was knocked to the floor on the other side of the car and was full of glass....but alive! If I had been wearing a seatbelt....well, who knows what could have happened? Yikes.