I never knew this forum was here. I've read through some of the posts and am very touched (but not at all surprised) by the understanding and compassion shown. So I'd like to ask some advice.

I have a young friend who has (by his own admission) been suffering from depression for years. He has been to a doctor before, but nothing good came of it.

After the last few very nasty weeks, he was finally convinced to see another doc. She now has him on Lexapro, Zoloft, and Ambien. It's too early to see any benefits yet. He's much more subdued and sluggish, and I know that's why he didn't want to be on meds, trying to function while feeling like a zombie.

After reading about the drugs, it is terrifying to see that a friend or family member should closely monitor the person for the first few days/weeks because suicidal tendencies can be magnified. I'm not sure he has that kind of support at home so I've offered to be available if needed (another friend has done the same). It's not much, but it's all we can do.

Another question is, how do you deal with a person in the midst of a real crisis? The past few weeks have been hell for me and his other close friend, as nothing we said or did seemed to help. I suppose I should have realized what was going on and done alot of reading and research online, but I truly had no idea it was as bad as it is.

I was depressed some years ago, after my mother died (and my hubby decided he didn't want to be married anymore), so I well understand the feelings of hopelessness and not wanting to be on this earth anymore. I somehow managed to "snap out of it" over time without any help, but now know I should have sought help and I am very lucky to still be here.

Today, while at work, a college student took a dive from the top of a 5-story parking garage. I never knew this was so widespread and greatly regret having my head in the sand for so long. I'm sure there are others I could have tried to help along the way, but didn't because I didn't understand.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Whirlwind