Celtic does a beautiful job of making sense here! I would say a few things to back her up. I also have vast experience in the world of therapy, again, some of the best:
- the memory will not come up unless the mind is ready to deal with it. Pushing a memory is DANGEROUS. It just is.
- If hypnotized, the brain will reject, out of hand, the question it is not safe to remember, for example: I had evidence in a murder trial that was very important besides what I had already given them. When hypnotized, my mind would NOT give it up because I had been "programed," that I would be killed if I told. I did not tell. This is why the doctor gave a hypnotic suggestion for me not to try to remember anymore. ( Much to the D.A.'s irritation!) You know what's happening when you are hypnotised.
-Never push yourself to remember except in a clinical setting where you will be safe 24/7. Some memories are dangerous. At the risk of upsetting some people on the forum, it goes like this:
If you were told that if you told anyone what happened, you wwould be hurt or killed, you may, after being forced to remember, attempt to hurt yourself after remembering. You MUST be protected if there is any possibility of this sort of thing happening. I speak from experience.

Please be careful when retrieving memories. I can't tell you how helpful it is to do so, but do so in a safe way, in acontroled way, and have a couple emergency numbers to call if you at ALL are in a dangerous state of mind!

dancer9

"Question your privilege"