Today we picked up Anaiya after she spent a week with her Mom in Switzerland. For those who don’t know, Anaiya is our 2 year old granddaughter who we are taking care of, all together for a year and a half. while her mother is training for the Olympics.

Although I may have appeared on the forum as more than a willing and ready grandmother to take care of precious Anaiya, I also had my doubts. My doubts as to what this will do to the baby. I love her more than I can say, but this isn’t about me. It’s about what is good for the child.

Anaiya spent an intensive week with her mother, living in one room, sleeping in one bed, their bonding was as strong as ever. When we picked her up, she was all smiles and happy, but then in the car, her little heart broke in two. “Mommy mommy”, she sobbed almost non stop for two hours. We couldn’t distract her or comfort her, she was a little bundle of grief that was so heartbreaking, I have to hold back tears while writing this.

While her mother lived in the States, I think Anaiya didn’t miss her Mom, and just accepted us as being her parents. Now the mother sweeps in over the weekends, loves and cuddles her daughter to pieces, and then suddenly disappears out of her life. This can’t be good. Anaiya isn’t a doll to just cast away.

I would love to tell my DIL, either you stop your sports and act like a responsible caring mother, or you stop visiting your daughter and breaking her heart every weekend.

What I’m afraid may happen is that my DIL will say, she’ll take her daughter with her to training camp. That means our sweet Anaiya will be pushed from one care taker to another while her Mom is travelling all around the world chasing that stupid ball. That is not good for Anaiya either.

What should I do? Not only does it upset me, but this is a huge trial for my son’s marriage. What father would be happy with such a situation? I don’t know of any. He hasn't been able to convince his wife to quit and just be there for the family, so I don't think my chances are good either.

I’m venting, and I’m asking for advice as to what I should do. Three different doctors have told us that Anaiya could carry strong psychological problems from being torn from her mother again and again. I have told my DIL this, but she doesn’t believe me. She thinks Anaiya is too young to realize what is happening.

Would you agree with me? How would you handle the situation?