My doctor friend in Cuba treated me for depression while we were there. I have to admit that it felt good to feel good again. So I've been looking for a mild anti-depressant to ask my doctor here to prescribe for me (she admits that she doesn't know enough about depression, so I'm doing my own research). I really don't want to go back on them, but need a little help pulling myself out of this profound sadness that I just can't shake on my own.

I found a lot of positive information on a natural plant extract called 5-HTP (just Google "5-htp" to get more info; I started here: http://www.healthyplace.com/communities/depression/treatment/alternative/brain_chemistry_2.asp )

Has anyone here tried it, or heard of it, or know anyone who uses it? Sounds like a good alternative for someone like me, since I'm not clinically depressed, and just need an extra boost out of this prolonged slump I've been in. I know the doctor in Cuba used a natural product (not St John's Wort), and it worked quickly with no side effects...it's entirely possible it was this 5-HTP, but I didn't get the name so don't know for sure.

(Maya Angelou)