Hi JJ,

It depends on what I'm working on at the time. When I am focused on writing nonfiction, that's what I prefer, and when I'm focused on writing fiction, that's what I enjoy. I think this is because it's the act of writing, not necessarily the content, that creates the good feeling and satisfies what I call in TIME TO WRITE the Burning Desire to Write.

When I get into that zone where the writing is flowing, it doesn't matter what I'm writing, it only matters that I'm writing. I suspect a lot of authors are like that. That's why one of the pieces of advice I give in TIME TO WRITE is to not get distracted by email, blogging, and so forth, because it 'feels' like writing when it's really not and that can take away from your writing time.

I thought it might be useful to have a discussion about distractions and what the major distractions to writing are that the people on this list deal with...here's a poll to get us going:

Kelly
Major distractions to my writing time are:
You may choose many

Votes accepted starting: 05/03/08 11:03 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Author of:

TIME TO WRITE: More Than 100 Professional Writers Reveal How to Fit Writing Into Your Busy Life-- No Excuses, No Distractions, No More Blank Pages!