I love that bumper sticker - LOL! For five years I've been battling with degenerating disks, poor posture from years of desk sitting and lack of strength in my back & abs ("my core" is the current lingo I guess), and bad feet that I thought were just my lot in life. It's a long story and probably very similar to other folks', but I guess the point I want to make is, it's never to late to feel better. And the more you can do without medication, the better.

Here's what I've done, and altho none are magic bullets, and all cost both money and time, what they've given back to me in feeling less like a 90 yr old, is more than worth it.

1) I pay attention. If something hurts, I rest it, ice it, stretch it, or exercise it. Sometimes all at once. I no longer work thru the pain, or just pop a Tylenol.

2) I found a wonderful massage therapist, and I see her religiously every three weeks. She not only works out the knots, she gives me great advice on how to use ice and heat, neat stretches, nutritional stuff and just basically empowers me.

3) I get regular adjustments with a good chiropractor. It's not for everyone, and I know many are afraid or don't believe, but there are good and bad "bone crackers" out there, just like any profession. I recently found a 2nd chiro, who works at my gym, who adjusts just my feet and hands, becuz my regular chiro doesn't. All my life I figured my feet were beyond help (I have very short toes that don't take enuf of the weight, have had bunions and a bone in my right foot straightened) but Ed believes I can recover enough to be able to walk longer distances and maybe, fingers crossed, even run again.

4) I joined a gym, and try my best to go regularly. The stronger and more flexible I get, the younger I feel, and the less I need to take painkillers and anti-inflammatories. There are plenty of young hardbodies there, but also many seniors and at 47, I figure I can be a fit and strong senior some day too.

5) Attitude is everything. I've been blessed with basically good health. I don't have any heart/blood pressure/diabetes or life threatening disease issues. It's just the chassis that's wearing out. I try, even on my 'ow-y' days, to count my blessings, push myself to move, and see the beauty all around me. I also try to remember to thank God for all he's given me.

Hang in there ladies - I think you are all very courageous!

Julia