My Sister's Shoes

Meredithbead, thank you for your support, your strength, all the love you are sending. Thank you for being part of the circle.

TVC15, blessings to you for joining this circle of support. I am very grateful.

Dotsie, yes, the words planted during childhood can sprout as simple blessings later in life.

JJ,thanks for your kindness toward me and my family, your special heart and your prayers.

Today, I wore my sister's shoes to the river. It was a warm day as my husband and I stood on the bridge overlooking the Umpqua River. He was fishing for salmon. I was fishing for peace. The morning clouds had gone and only an occasional puffy one wandered across the sky.

It's been only two weeks since Anita gave me the shoes. She said they were too tight for her, would I like to have them. I found them by the front door - white canvas tenny runners with a few smudges of dirt on each one. I sat down near the couch where she was laying and slipped them on. Width-wise they were fine. They were a little too long, but as my husband tells me I have Barny Rubble feet. My toes rarely reach the ends of my shoes. I usually have to add stuffing if they are to fit just right. I showed them to Anita and thanked her.

We had never been able to wear each others clothes like sister often do. I was eight when she left home. After her babies she was never able to lose the weight. One time after one of her diets, when she gained some of the weight back, she offered me a yellow outfit that was now too small for her. I didn't wear that kind of thing, so I didn't take it. After the fact I knew that she was making a loving sisterly gesture and so wanted me to have it. Ever since I regretted not taking it. So not long before the visit two weeks ago, I decided that if she ever offered me any of her clothes again, I would take them.

So today, it was comforting wearing my sister's shoes, sitting on the bridge watching the river heading toward the sea.

Vi

[ June 21, 2005, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Vi ]