The first time my hubby asked me to marry him was about 20 hours into our first date. Yup, a 20 hour first date! We met for dinner and had an amazing time, then went to my place...and both decided to call in "sick" to work so we could spend the day together. About 4 in the afternoon we were all snuggled up and out of the blue, he looks at me and says "will you marry me this summer"! I was stunned into silence (something that doesn't happen often I assure you) and then started grilling him on what marriage meant to him, why he wanted to marry so soon, why he meant by "husband", what he expected of a "wife", etc. He said the look on my face was pure inquisitor! I waited a whole 4 days before saying "yes" (yup, I was as smitten as he was!).

Why the inquistor? 'Cuz I had been married twice before and wasn't really sure if I ever wanted the title "wife" again!

A few months later we split up for a while and when we got back together I told him his proposal didn't count...we were starting over and if he still wanted to get married, he could ask again. Within a few weeks he started dropping hints about how much he disliked separating for the week (we only saw each other on the weekend), how he missed me when I was gone, etc. This went on for several weeks until, one weekend, he needed to complete a "who to notify" form for a class he was attending. He put down my name and in the space for "relationship", he put fiancee and then showed it to me. I said, in no uncertain terms, I wasn't his fiancee and he looked at me with this adorable little pleading look. I stuck to my guns and cracked up when he later said "we could always go to the Justice of the Peace" downtown!

Now how romatic is that...grin! I reminded him that this wasn't a proposal. He tried several other sneaky ways to say he wanted to get married...and each time I reminded him that wasn't a proposal. After several tries, he finally got the hint and asked again!

Guess my stubborn was coming out, eh?

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!