I'm a person who can self-entertain for ever. I read a lot, I paint,I can futz around the house all day happily. My husband isn't like that. He's more the type to rent movies, grab the clicker and watch TV, watch videos on Youtube... But
In the 1990's he started bicycling with some guys. He had a great time, he rode with 2 coworkers and our son. I didn't care for rides over 5 miles, so when the coworkers moved away, and my son did too, my hubby, lost interest in riding because it wasn't as fun alone.. HE was sitting around, getting depressed, gaining weight. WE used to hike together but he has plantar fascitis, so THAT didn't work anymore. So one day I uncrossed my legs, sat up and said "You can train me to do the Seattle to Portland bike ride" . And he did. Of course he still rides circles around me, and does lots of rides that I will not do. Saturday he's going to do "Death Ride" - 5 mountain passes in California!

So I had to put aside my own prejudice (against cycling) to get us moving together again.
Another thing we did at a point that it seemed our marriage was going south; was we sat down with a calendar and blacked out 1 weekend every month as "OUR WEEKEND" and we both did our best to fill in those weekends with NEW and different things to do.
Two of the more memorable ones for me is; one day we went Kayaking!
another day we decided to volunteer at a food bank. THAT was fun too!
We certainly are not perfectly compatible, we fight about lots of stuff and disagree about things too. But as we are in our late 50's, I can honestly say, our relationship is getting better.
The other day we looked at each other, and agreed, "I love our life, I feel like we're playing house!"

Edited by Madelaine (07/09/09 07:00 PM)