Ah Celtic...you do my heart good darlin'. You make me smile all the time. You could not insult me if you tried.

I'm not 100% about the military history but the Air Force broke off from the Army Air Corp and now we have the ARMY and the AIR FORCE as separate branches of the military. The Army is more ground forces and the Air Force's mission is to fly and fight...their mission is in the air.
The Navy, of course, is sea mission and the Marines is ground mission. I know there's a lot more to the missions than this but this is the basics, I think.

I am blushing that you're blown away by my being in the service...it was fun while it happened. I really don't have any bad experiences except for the jerks who sexually harrassed me...and other women. In the 1970's we had a thing called "Social Actions" which really wasn't anything more than a place to make complains...not that anything really happened after we compalined. But, things have gotten better, thank goodness, for women serving now and if not they have lots better avenues in which to address problems.

There are programs for people facing alcohol addition in the military, I think, which is good.