Hi Sue,
I'm a Canadian (Ottawa) and hang out here in BWS as my "home away from home". My hubby's retired military (retired major, last posting was Fire Marshall in Halifax). I used to work with DND for many years, and saw first-hand the loneliness of the wives/husbands of military personnel who constantly had to uproot themselves to follow their spouses around the country and world. I met my husband just as he was retiring, so didn't experience that (though moved around a lot for other reasons for much of my life). It's always hard to start over, but moreso at our age when everyone seems to already be firmly entrenched in their social circles. We moved to Ottawa from Halifax in 1997 and I still don't have any real friends here...I had a wonderful network of friends in Halifax, but have not been able to break into any circles here. I've pretty much given up on that and focus on our grandchildren and my BWS & Facebook friends who fill that void for me now.

You've come to the right spot, here at BWS. So many women here have had to start over for various reasons. I hope you find this to be a warm, welcome, safe place to come and hang out in the midst of the loneliness of being in a whole new environment.

(Maya Angelou)