Dear Zee, I do not have step children, though my son has a step mother and step-siblings. All I ever wished for my son was to have in his life a step mom who would respect him and his bond with his father. A step mother who would allow him to grow and mature for the fabulous person he is.
Life is not only, at times, difficult for the step parents. Life can also be very difficult for the biological parents. Wouldn’t you want to treat your step children exactly like you would want a possible step mother to treat yours? It’s not a competition, really, it’s about love and acceptance that transcends our very own limits and shows us how big we can be.
Though my husband left me and walked out on me when my son was 6 months old, I have always honored his new children, my son’s half brother and sister, as my own and always welcomed them in my house, actually encouraged them to spend time with my son, their brother here. We have such a tight and wonderful bond that I get to call them my step children and I have an amazing time with them.
You think you may have a difficult time being a step mother, though imagine how the mother may also have a difficult time with her children living with you and not her.
Have fun at the graduations, enjoy the trust others have put on you with their children, and the relationship with all children, step or not step! and embrace the other side of the coin.
Love, Monica
www.Twitter.com/MonicaMagnetti