Originally Posted By: Anne327
I hope this does not sound rude or arrogant, but when I quit smoking (in my early 20's) it was fairly easy. I think it was because when I started, it was to impress my teen friends, and I never intended to make it a longtime habit. I had always been into exercise.

As with alcohol, I added up the cost of smoking for an entire month, tax included, and compared it to my net income. That seemed to help alot.

No, you do not sound rude or arrogant, Anne. Your smoking to impress your friends years ago as you have described, apparently did not turn into the severe problem others have had to contend with, THANK GOD!!!!!

I've known "recreational substance abusers" who only did alcohol, nicotine, heroin, marijuana, meth, LSD, cocaine, etc on weekends, and they did not seem to progress to physiological addiction status. And then there are many who do become seriously addicted to their drug of choice.

Time and time again over the years, I've heard some heroin addicts say they were eventually able to get straight from heroin, but they were never able to overcome their severe craving for nicotine.

And yes, there are people who rob and assault others to get cigarette money. It's a new day out there, fellow boomers. At $8 bucks a pack, we are talking major money, so young teens who are hooked will invade homes and rob people at gunpoint, not only for crack, but for cigarette money too.

I had nurse friends who never smoked at work yet they were consumed with smoking at home and at social events. And vice-versa. We used to call them "play" smokers. We "serious" smokers had a butt hanging out of our mouth even in the bathroom. In truth, serious smokers are seriously addicted to nicotine, and stopping for them apparently is a whole different ball game then for other types of smokers.

Thank God nowadays there are in-hospital programs and medication to help those who really are committed to quitting this lethal drug.

I will not allow any form of tobacco or any mind-altering substance (like alcohol) served in my home. I did not want my child thinking it was okay to put alcohol or any other dangerous mind-altering substance into his body, and I did not want visitors to think it was okay to drink any form of alcohol in my house, especially since I have no way of telling who is seriously addicted and who is not.

I'm ashamed that I ever smoked, but glad that I was able to find the strength to quit. Other than dealing with loss in my life, quitting smoking is the hardest thing I have ever done.