My mom is the nicest person I know. Growing up, she never put us down or talked to us in condescending ways. She always told us how important we were and how proud she was of us AND that we could do anything we wanted to do. She put all five of us girls first in her life in everything she did.

She started each day by slinging open the front door and announcing loudly, "MORNING WORLD!" And she did so with force and conviction. She is a happy woman, never stopping, never giving in to illness. Cancer could not stop her. She said, "If I'm going to wear a wig, I'm going to have a snappy wig, one that makes a statement. And now I can finally wear hats! Am I lucky or what?"

That....is my mother.

She taught us the difference between right and wrong, what prejudice was and how to love EVERYONE, how to lift others when they needed lifting, and how to walk away from ones who would have us believe we were small.

She calls me every once in a while just to say, "Georgia, have I told you how proud I am of you lately? If not, I'm telling you now. I love you!"

Did she give up anything raising five girls and being married to the love of her life for 57 years?

I can't answer that....but my guess is if you asked mom she would laugh and say, "You're kidding, right? I've had the time of my life."