Di...have you read the book 'the five love languages?' If you and your husband could do this, he'd see that one of your languages is receiving gifts (which comes from celebrating holidays together)...a big one of mine, too.
I'd asked and asked and asked and do for him what I'd like have done for me...he still didn't get it. I just got more hurt feelings. When I learned of this book he and I read it together and almost instantly he understood my language and began responding to it. I knew his as well and some of the things I'd done for him in the past, he could have cared less because it wasn't HIS language. I just thought I was doing something wrong.
If your sweetie is open to reading this very small book it will open his eyes big time and if he cares, he'll understand your needs and act on them. Larry's very, very open to books that help us communicate better....he's the one who first introduced them to our relationship and I thought that was so cool.
Part of Larry's inaction was laziness and part of it was fear of me not liking what he picked out...I told him I'd love whatever he gave me because it came from him...that has helped and he really tries and is so much better than he used to be.
Word of advice...if you have a future-daughter-in-law, don't send any self-help-book to her or your son even though they've both told you about major problems they're having, because once the DIL sees it she will hate you for the rest of your life and eject you from their lives.