My husband has always been sweet and thoughtful of me on Holidays..even though I feel like he thinks some of it is silly he loves me and wants to make me happy . I recently had a conversation with my 33 year old son regarding this subject...after years of dating many girls he has finally met the girl of his dreams..he made a comment to me that he thinks Valentine's Day is contrived and silly and he would just like to forget about it...my advice to him was this:

When you love someone it should give you pleasure to make them happy, to fulfill some of their desires and dreams even though they seem silly to you ..so my suggestion my Darling Son is to go out and buy your girl a Valentine's card , at the same time pick up a heart shaped box of candy and a bouquet of flowers..you will make her feel special and loved and in turn she will think you are the most romantic man in the world and shower you with appreciation and love....

My son followed my advice and this morning I received an email from him that read:

"Thank you for your wise advice Mom..My girl was so happy and never stopped smiling all weekend...and you are right.it was so easy to celebrate the day ...seeing her incredibly happy from just a small gesture makes me understand why you were always stressing thoughtfulness when we were growing up...the payback is terrific!"

I think alot of men are just so grounded in reality that romance is a foreign language..but it makes me angry...when you love somone and you know it's in your power to make them happy by saying I love you or sending them a card...do it for goodness sake...why would you hold back love?? The little gestures..the I love you's don't cost much.. I guess that's why books like "Men Are From Mars and Women Are From Venus" have been written.

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel